It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to disprove a god: a lesson in logic.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cinrad
a reply to: Ghost147

So your beef is not with god but certain beliefs about god?

It has nothing to do with a personal vendetta. It's about logic.

If you attribute specific details to a god, those details can render that particular god Falsifiable.

If the god you're referring to is generic and you simply claim "God exists" (without any attribution to any particular religions or sets of belief), then that form of god would be Unfalsifiable, thus not able to be disproved.

As for the post you're responding to, I was actually just asking a question. I wasn't insinuating anything.
edit on 16/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
If you could prove God doesn't exist, I bet christians would still not abandon the belief. It makes them feel superior and is like a drug

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
How about the sea shells found on mountain tops

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

a question.
If you actually could proof that gods as depicted in religious scriptures are not real with real evidence. What would you conclude?

Do you equate gods with afterlife, karma, law of attraction or other universal principles? Do you think if gods are not real than after life is not real and materialism is real?
That is very limited thinking in my opinion, if that would be you conclusion!

If gods are an obstacle you have with religions, than there are available philosophies like in Buddhism or advaita vedanta where they don't worship gods. After thousands of years of practiced meditation they have developed a system in which you progress toward something. I will not say or label that or this something, but I will just say that in my opinion, Buddhism is the most "straight religion" without worship of god, but instead focuses on our human condition and how we can escape suffering for ever.
Especially the pure lineages of Tibetan Buddhism as are mahamudra or dzogchen. They have very precise guidelines and various practices for the mind so a devotee can progress towards final goal and learn the truth of our nature of reality.

No gods, no angels, nothing...only the truth. Maybe check it out if you are really curious and start with something and test it by own experiance?

what are your thoughts about what is in the video? I am really interested and do not want to start heated debate. It is only 10 minutes long and in it you have a quick explanation of mahamudra.

Also if this is too far off topic than just pass by and ignore this post.
edit on 1452950263117January171173116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia
Isn't gravity the centrifugal force of the spinning of earth

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

How so?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
disproving any theological figure is a futile endeavor because theology inherently begs the suspension of logic by virtue of supernatural forces. you would have to address the supernatural experiences of society in order to effectively refute the "super" in "supernatural" by demonstrating where these phenomena fit into modern science. and if that does come to pass, people will just find another gap to stick their gods in. there are better games to play, methinks, than attempting to outwit a dehydrated horse.
edit on 16-1-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
How to prove God, basic common sense.
the world will hate you because of me. Mathew 10 22

Christ taught love
The world hates love, the world wants control
Hate is easier than love, it's easier to learn and live

It was written long before this thread was

Hate inspires evil

Choose

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Here's another lesson in logic....

Humans err and have absolutely no way of perfecting science much less hold all knowledge, including you. In other words, science telling us that a global flood never took place will always be questionable as well.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Christ taught love

Hate inspires evil

Choose

And yet the tale of the Jesus character can invoke vicious hatred......

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Here's another lesson in logic....

Humans err and have absolutely no way of perfecting science much less hold all knowledge, including you. In other words, science telling us that a global flood never took place will always be questionable as well.

those who endeavor to fool proof anything underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If you want to disprove God, just ask a Christian to prove him

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
There is no way logic can disprove God.

The only logical path is Agnostism, everything else requires faith.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Christ taught love

Hate inspires evil

Choose

Only when you read it with hate in your heart
Christians follow a God who died for others, if you can't understand that

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Never a truer word spoken Mr Mediator

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Christ taught love

Hate inspires evil

Choose

Only when you read it with hate in your heart
Christians follow a God who died for others, if you can't understand that

Well no because the character apparently came back to life after rotting for a few days before resuming his spot of Master and commander of the universe, and so didn't die....and for some reason your thankful for this why?

And your 'no true Scotsmen' argument can be disregarded, your way of reading the vague text is no more correct or incorrect than anybody elses. Ask the 40,000 different denominations that exist, in which no single element of Christianity is consistent, even the claimed divinity of Jesus..

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
There is no way logic can disprove God.

The only logical path is Agnostic Atheism, everything else requires faith.

*Fixed for you

'Agnostics' are of course atheists, possessing no belief in god/s...

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Except he wasn't a god and didn't die

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnosisisfaith
How about the sea shells found on mountain tops

This is a very good and reasonable question.

1) Shells on mountains are easily explained by uplift of the land. Although this process is slow, it is observed happening today, and it accounts not only for the seashells on mountains but also for the other geological and paleontological features of those mountains. The sea once did cover the areas where the fossils are found, but they were not mountains at the time; they were shallow seas.

2) A flood cannot explain the presence of marine shells on mountains for the following reasons:
~ Floods erode mountains and deposit their sediments in valleys.
~ In many cases, the fossils are in the same positions as they grow in life, not scattered as if they were redeposited by a flood. This was noted as early as the sixteenth century by Leonardo da Vinci (Gould 1998).
~ Other evidence, such as fossilized tracks and burrows of marine organisms, show that the region was once under the sea. Seashells are not found in sediments that were not formerly covered by sea.

(Gould, Stephen J., 1998. The upwardly mobile fossils of Leonardo's living earth. In: Leonardo's Mountain of Clams and the Diet of Worms, New York: Three Rivers Press, pp. 17-44.)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UniFinity
a question.
If you actually could proof that gods as depicted in religious scriptures are not real with real evidence. What would you conclude?

The conclusion I would reach would be that that particular notion of a god is false, and that particular religion and it's claims aren't a reputable source of information and contain a number of false claims.

Do you equate gods with afterlife, karma, law of attraction or other universal principles? Do you think if gods are not real than after life is not real and materialism is real?

No, that is not the conclusion I have reached. The traits and phenomena you've aren't necessarily connected to an existence of god.

Many religions do indeed give their own descriptions of the various phenomena you're referring to, however, those claims are all unfalsifiable claims (for the most part) and so cannot be disproved. They are technically separate from the existence of the god that particular religion was referring to.

It may come to a surprise to many people, but even as an Atheist, I believe ghosts are real. I do not claim absolute certainty that they do exist, but I do believe they do. I do not see the need for a god to exist in order for a ghost to (or karma, or what have you).

If gods are an obstacle you have with religions, than there are available philosophies like in Buddhism or advaita vedanta where they don't worship gods.

I understand that there are many 'godless' religions out there, and so my argument would not apply to them.

I find Buddhism to be a very attractive philosophy and see nothing wrong with it at all.

what are your thoughts about what is in the video? I am really interested and do not want to start heated debate. It is only 10 minutes long and in it you have a quick explanation of mahamudra.

Also if this is too far off topic than just pass by and ignore this post.

I see nothing wrong with meditation at all, or the possibility of becoming 'enlightened' or opening one's mind or anything else like that
edit on 16/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join