It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billy Corgan Says Facebook is Creating a Generation of Narcissists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Indeed, it is true. So much focus put on oneself leaving too little focus on anything else. This "social" environment (which consists of very little actual socializing) would breed a narcissist given that he is basically spending time with himself the entire time.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hey everyone, check this out: www.bbc.com...
edit on 15-1-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
Hey everyone, check this out: www.bbc.com...

I think/believe everything is energy.

I think/believe that a congregation/group connect in energy thought, creating a kind of euphoria.

I've personally experienced it when being part of a like minded group - - - but, had a different view when I stopped participating.

NEVER NEVER make a decision when part of a group. Separate yourself until you are free of influence
edit on 15-1-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Absolutely brother. I just went and looked at their albums and you're exactly right. I liked Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, I don't have any SP songs on my playlist or any SP CDs after MC. Matter of fact, I put it on Youtube earlier and put a Smashing Pumpkins playlist on and have been listening to songs that I remember from High School... Weezer, Better Then Ezra, Bush, Pearl Jam, Beck, Blind Melon, Rage Against the Machine, The Verve, RHCP, Marcy Playground, Oasis... I swear I almost went back in time to the mid 90's and driving two houses down from the school with all my friends when it let out. We'd go to the big church parking lot, I'd crank up the Alt Rock music, and we would kick a dang hacky sack around for hours and hours. Sometimes I can reminisce so deep that I swear I can smell the air that I smelled 20+ years ago.

Yeah that takes me back for sure.
Grunge in the early to mid 90's then alt rock of mid to late 90's.
Great times, great music, pre 9/11, the world wasn't perfect but they were good times.

You got that right! I used to come home (early 90's) and go straight to my parent's room to watch MTV's Most Wanted since I didn't have cable in my room, then I'd do my homework. My mom ended up having MTV shut off because I wouldn't do my homework until after the Top 10 lol. That was back when it was Aerosmith and Faith No More always at the top.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: eletheia

Effing A! When I first started dating my fiance, she was 20 and I was 34. She was ALWAYS posting selfie pictures and pictures in mirrors and seeing how many "Likes" she could get. After about 4 months with me, that all changed. Now, 3 years later, she looks back and realizes how immature it was and when they pop up on her timehop (?) she gets embarrassed.

Yeah, I've got an 8 year old that wants Facebook. He's high functioning autistic and really into computers.

This is his world. His generation. He needs to learn now, not 10 years from now that anything you post online is there forever.

I'm teaching him he can only post positive. If he has a problem with something, we discuss how to word it in a positive way.

If its not OK for your own kids to view/read (when you have some) - - its not OK to post. Ever!

Exactly right. All those "preggo" pics every week, partying pics, etc etc gets annoying. I went with my fiance to her first OBGYN appointment the other day and I told her to make sure she waits until she gets an ultrasound pic she wants and post ONLY that one. I mentioned how annoying it is, to both of us, to see people post something new every other week. Another ultrasound, etc. I said "Please don't be like 'them' during your pregnancy. I want to tell the world too, but let's limit the constant pictures to our friends and family." So that's what we're doing.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I have several people on "hide their posts", but I still want to stay in contact with them - - so they are still listed as friends.

Facebook overs options to do this.

Let's not blame Facebook. It's only a tool.

Personal Responsibility.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HumberWarrior

No. Psychopaths aren't sociopaths.

Sociopaths lack empathy. Psychopaths do not. Psychopaths actually are very successful people. Sociopaths are not.

And yes, both antisocial personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder are personality disorders and often intersect. There's no diagnosis of just narcissism. That doesn't exist. It's a personality disorder.

Where are you getting your information from? I'm a psychology major.

Everyone is a bit of a psychopath sometimes. A psychopath isn't mentally ill. That's the difference. Some are more high-functioning than others.

Mental illnesses are disorders. Personality disorders are more severe than just mental illness. They're nearly impossible to treat.

Just because people exhibit some traits of being narcissistic doesn't make them a narcissist. You can't diagnose that unless you're a trained professional. And to try is foolish. You can take the Hare Psychopathy test and figure out if you're a psychopath. It's not that difficult Psychopaths are rare compared to sociopaths and narcissists. They're three separate things.

Watch that TED talk. It's really good.

My OP points out that people are getting to be rather narcissistic. But they aren't literal narcissists. At least the vast majority of them are not--they're just not very smart. Stupid people think that they know everything.

I'm not even sure that narcissism is the best word to describe how people are acting nowadays. Nucking Futs would be a better description lol
People use the term narcissism loosely--but you have to remember that real narcissists have personality disorders.
edit on 15-1-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Narcicists always existed it's just that Facebook can actually fuel some of it.
I view FB as a tool and it can be used positively or negatively.

I really love Billy Corgan's music but sometimes, I feel he's a bit off the mark when he gets into criticism. He talk like a narcicist but he's a great artist so I guess he's allowed...which means I'm allowed too of course! :p

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Seriously. Groupthink is a pretty crazy thing. Reason gets thrown to the winds.

Everything certainly is energy

Being an autonomous moral agent should be everybody's goal in life. Thinking for oneself is a beautiful thing, indeed.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I cant "do" facebook, it makes me sad.
I think a big part of that sadness stems from the "like button", and the "if you care about me you will repost/like this picture." crap that bombards you when you look at it.
Its all so terribly... tragic?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Just because people exhibit some traits of being narcissistic doesn't make them a narcissist. You can't diagnose that unless you're a trained professional. And to try is foolish.

Oh, well I think that's what school made you believe. I'm pretty sure psychology is (at least should be) much more talent than studies. People that study in it seem to classify patients much too hastly instead of just really understanding the person before finding ways to really help the person and not make him a recuring client...which is another reason I don't 100% trust psychologists.

Just did the PSYCHO test hehehe
11 out of 30, I'm quite far from being a psychopath but I do hold narcicism traits. Although, I believe that I'm better than most as I try the best to act like the most honest, nice, logical, balanced and friendliest person possible, just to show I'm the best human being on earth hahaha

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

Seriously. Groupthink is a pretty crazy thing. Reason gets thrown to the winds.

Everything certainly is energy

Being an autonomous moral agent should be everybody's goal in life. Thinking for oneself is a beautiful thing, indeed.

Yes! First step - - realization. Then step away to be autonomous.

You know those sales pitch scams where they bring people together in a captive audience? You think you're just getting a free dinner and a mini vacation? Yeah. Avoid those things.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

I hear you. And I'm much the same as you, to be quite frank
We all have our vices. But it's good that you try to do good to others. Above all, we should love one another

The DSM-V is much-improved from the last version--but yes. Psychology is still growing. They don't know everything. I scored moderately on the test. And you're right--the best psychologists are the ones who are naturally intuitive. School can't teach talent. But the guidelines for diagnosis are fairly reliable and legitimate. But there are many issues and concerns that still exist--especially regarding how children are diagnosed.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
What's the saying? Takes a thief to spot a thief. hehe, loved the pumpkins growing up, but Billy is really freaking narcissistic. I do think it's obvious, but the solution is simple... permanently deactivate your acct, and don't bother with people who are superficial. It's your choice!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I know its suspected Billy Corgan has Aspergers.

Don't think its ever been officially diagnosed.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
He's very insightful, and I think he's right on with this. Yet despite all his rage, he's still just a rat in a cage.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

Psycho test?
Allow me to take it.

I'm curious as to how I would compare.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Almost everyone I know is a narcissist.

Across all generations.

We've designed this into our culture of greed and selfishness.

yah join the club.. facebook is great for narcissist loners i love it

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
next gen person feels it's exactly opposite, old fart ranting about things were better back then sounds the narcissist one.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

You may want to look into some of my past threads with regards to narcissism. It is an epidemic, and Facebook is at the heart of creating those. But the same can be said about youtube and other social media that exploits this human weakness. Get people to feel good about themselves is part of the marketing system. It sells, and it works because people have been disconnected from care.

But it is not isolated through facebook alone, look into t.v, music and you will see that narcissism is being encouraged even through cartoon series like "sponge bob".

Change the programming of people's minds and you change people's minds. People are like computers, they absorb the knowledge and tend to imitate what they see or surrounds them.
edit on th2016000000Saturdayth000000Sat, 16 Jan 2016 12:02:30 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoSat, 16 Jan 2016 12:02:30 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join