It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Gun Control speech??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Because it becomes like the movie Robocop, the elite if not already invulnerable behind fortress walls and bullet proof glass, will all be programmed into the "smart" guns memory bank.

You're projecting some kind of creeping fascist plot and to enact restrictive laws that will eventually remove and manual firearms from the public altogether, in my opinion. personally, I see that as an unlikely extreme.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
No state has banned them. Just New Jersey penned a clever law that keeps them off of all Americal shelves.

The law here in New Jersey was not written to keep them off the shelf everywhere, it was written to force residents to purchase this style firearm within three years of the first one being sold in the state.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No state has banned them. Just New Jersey penned a clever law that keeps them off of all Americal shelves.

The law here in New Jersey was not written to keep them off the shelf everywhere, it was written to force residents to purchase this style firearm within three years of the first one being sold in the state.

Yeah............um........ I'm not THAT gullible. That New Jersey (of all places) law couldn't pass unless people in high places (NRA) wanted it to. Its consequences don't seem so unintended to me.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ah, my mistake. No state has banned them. Just New Jersey penned a clever law that keeps them off of all Americal shelves.

A gun that fires only in the hands of its owner isn't science fiction anymore. A so-called smart gun is already on sale in Europe. But you won't find it on store shelves in this country — in part because of an obscure New Jersey law that's had unintended consequences for the rest of the nation.

-----------------

"It actually doesn't matter if the gun has been sold," says David Kopel, a policy analyst at the Cato Institute. "If there's just one available for sale anywhere in the United States, then that triggers the handgun ban. So who would want to sell a smart gun knowing that, by doing so, they'd be imposing a handgun ban on New Jersey?"

www.npr.org...

The Guns the NRA Doesn't Want Americans to Get

One success of gun-rights activists over the past decade has been their campaign to block the advent of smart guns, firearms that use biometric and other sensor technologies to prevent them from being fired by anyone other than their owners. Even though smart guns are widely available overseas, no American gun retailers sell them—in no small part due to threats and harassment aimed at any who have tried.

the problem is when they want to make it a law.."You can't be required to carry anything in a store," said the person who answered the phone at Lou's Firearms in Raritan, NJ (he declined to give his name). "It's just like telling every shoe store that they have to sell a Nike. I believe they should be available, but the market has to decide what they want to use."

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa

Where are you at Mr. president? No more tears.....?

He has to wait for the PR people to write his response for him.

Then he takes another acting lesson to be sure.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

You're projecting some kind of creeping fascist plot and to enact restrictive laws that will eventually remove and manual firearms from the public altogether, in my opinion. personally, I see that as an unlikely extreme.

Smart firearms that don't shoot at the wrong target…

Robocop was just a movie, but revealing. Programming (directive 4) that restricted the "robot" from arresting or firing upon CEOs (or anyone else in that memory bank).

Smart gun proposal in my day was a magnetic finger ring, worn by the owner of the firearm. The gun could only be discharged by the person wearing that ring.

I don't know what eventually became of that design either. Anything that prevents discharge of a firearm including locking it up, storing it unloaded, not on your person and loaded, is minimizing the primary purpose of that side arm, to defend ones life at a moments notice, a rare but very important, fleeting moment in life.

The notion of 'smart' guns with selective targeting is amusing.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Yeah............um........ I'm not THAT gullible. That New Jersey (of all places) law couldn't pass unless people in high places (NRA) wanted it to. Its consequences don't seem so unintended to me.

Well then you are that gullible as New Jersey has had a Democratically controlled Congress for decades. The law was created by a Democrat with the sole intention of compelling smart gun sales in New Jersey.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I am very pro-Second Amendment but frankly I am having a hard time trying to figure out the point you are trying to convey.
Gun control will not stop random shootings.
and its just mind blowing at how they would have used this shooting for a speech and push more control if this shooter would have got away...

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa
and its just mind blowing at how they would have used this shooting for a speech and push more control if this shooter would have got away...

Personally I dot like to jump to conclusions or speculate. It sounds like you are getting upset over a hypothetical scenario when there are actual real issues we could be addressing.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Smart firearms that don't shoot at the wrong target…

Is that a technology that being marketed right now?

I think that would be a wonderful selling point! Gun owners could program their own guns not to shoot them or their family members.

I do understand your fear of the abuse of power and the technology being legislated to limit manual gun sales, but we're not there yet. In the meantime, this smart gun technology could be really helpful, if affordable, to the average American, speaking for myself really, who might be more inclined to purchase a gun for protection if they knew their own gun couldn't accidentally kill them or a loved one, or be turned on them in a self defense situation. That's the main reason I don't own a gun. I would buy one if I could program it when not to shoot.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The smart gun technology would have stopped the guy from pulling the trigger.

Like a lock prevents someone from stealing your car or breaking into your house?
Or like Norton keeps your computer from getting a virus?
Or like a democracy keeps us a free people?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I really haven't studied it, and, to tell you the truth, I never venture in to gun control threads because it's not my thing, at all!

But, it seems to me that if the New Jersey hand gun ban was triggered by a smart gun sale in, say, California, that law wouldn't stand up, constitutionally, and would be readily knocked down, federally.

IMHO

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I know what websites you have been visiting....

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I know what websites you have been visiting....

That's funny right there.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

But, it seems to me that if the New Jersey hand gun ban was triggered by a smart gun sale in, say, California, that law wouldn't stand up, constitutionally, and would be readily knocked down, federally.

That is not how the New Jersey law functions. It is from the approval of the first smart gun in New Jersey, not out of state.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicusHis proposals to restrict gun rights were debated by the United States Senate, and they were rejected.
No president should be able to reverse legislative failure by executive fiat, not even incrementally.
The American people deserve a president who will respect their constitutional right — all of them.
This is a dangerous level of executive overreach, and the country will not stand for it.
Bill Clinton's Stirring 1993 Gun Speech Will Make You Disappointed In How Little Has Changed
We will honor the meaning of our church.
We will, somehow, by God's grace, we will turn this around.
We will give these children a future. We will take away their guns and give them books.
We will take away their despair and give them hope. We will rebuild
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: madenusa

You are railing about Obama and using a shooting in Pennsylvania as a hypothetical. Maybe just stick with what actually happened instead of what you think might have happened. It makes more sense.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

But that is the "unintended" effect of the law.

New Jersey law requires the attorney general to report on the availability of personal handgun technology, and that law hasn't been complied with for 10 years. It's particularly important now because there's evidence that personalize handguns have been available for sale in at least two locations.

The amended bill specifies that three years after it is determined that personalized handguns are available for retail purposes, it will be illegal for any registered or licensed firearms manufacturer or dealer to transport, sell, expose for sale, possess for sale, assign or transfer any handgun unless that handgun is a personalized handgun.

I don't believe that's constitutional. I'm sure it would be challenged in court.

Oh, and by the way.....

New Jersey State Senator Joseph A. Palaia, a member of the Republican Party from Monmouth County was a primary sponsor of the legislation...........................

On May 2, 2014, New Jersey Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg, (Democrat )said she would introduce a bill repealing the 2002 law if the National Rifle Association would agree not to stand in the way of smart gun technology.

Source
edit on 9-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

it may or may not be challenged but that is irreverent as it only applies to New Jersey.

And a sponsor is not the same thing as the author nor is a New Jersey Republican that much different than a New Jersey Democrat.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

it may or may not be challenged but that is irreverent as it only applies to New Jersey.

And yet, there is an organized and concerted effort to block ALL smart gun sales in the entire USA, citing the New Jersey law. Go figure!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join