It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broadchurch (UK) - a Cultural Competency Must-Watch

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I use closed captions. It helps SO MUCH to begin to understand other accents!!

Great tip... hadn't considered that. Thanks!

And The Office... absolutely! Forgot about that one, and it was actually my very first 'binge-watch' show. Now that's one example where I actually prefer the American version. Just personal choice, and probably b/c I saw it before the British version (which I know was the original, but oh well...)

Try "Parenthood", too! And "Damage." For intellectual stuff....

Good deal... I was out of ideas.
Side note: the title of the first one made me think of another American show worth watching: Modern Family. Hysterical (but not on Netflix.)

I know exactly what you mean!!!! **hug**

Great minds think alike, lol.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

I never saw the British version of The Office - so I can't compare...but I know I loved the American version.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I'm "fluent" in Shakespearean English,

The Bards House is a mile from where i live.

I am sure he would have been delighted in your fluency. You will probably understand " Brummie " very well as it's the nearest thing today to what Shakespeare's accent would have been.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)

Kept me entertained right across the Christmas period.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

I'll definitely check it out!!!

Thanks.

Now - back to Season 2 of Broadchurch.

Thanks everyone!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
gracepoint, the us version, really well done!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Russell Brand grew up just a smidgen over twenty miles from where I grew up. He has a stereotypically Essex accent, although it has to be said that in my experience the severity of what I consider to be the speech impediment that accent represents, is down largely to how little of a crap you give about the language itself.

For example, I have met many people who were born and bred in Essex, just as I was, who actually speak correctly, despite not being privately educated, loaded with cash, or expected to visit exclusive golfing venues for the purposes of earning money at it.

However, while they are many, they are an exception to the general rule, that if you speak properly in Essex, that it means you have grown up with heaps of money. I personally grew up dirt poor, but I have two things operating on my accent. First is the fact that I love the language I speak, and prefer not to butcher it if I can possibly avoid doing so, and the second is that my family are part Welsh. This has an affect on the shape of my palate, which in turn makes me more able to pronounce vowels with a crisp and clear distinction. Now, I cannot speak a lick of Welsh, but my accent is often seen as hard to place, purely because I do not come across as being from Essex, upon first listening.

Also, there is a tendency amongst my countrymen to assume that Essex people are somewhat mentally stunted, which affects their ability to converse properly. Personally speaking, and having lived here my whole life, there are days where I wonder the very same, despite being evidence to the contrary my very self.

My son keeps using "f" sounds where he should be using "th" sounds, and I am slowly getting him out of the habit, so that he can take advantage of his potential, and speak like a proper little gentleman. Every time he gets it wrong, it puts my teeth on edge. Bleeeeehhhhhh!

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

My parents were relentless in correcting us. We were taught proper grammar (and table manners).....
I did that with my kids, too - so, I get what you're saying about how it is "received" by others as meaning something disparaging.

Matter of fact, Mr Wigs and I met at a rehearsal for the Renaissance Festival. He grew up on a very small ranch outside a tiny town. The grammar in that area is "looked down upon" by 'townies' and pedantic folks (like me)....

does it mean the speakers are really ill-educated? Well, kinda, yeah - as a linguist, I am acutely aware of word usage and pronunciation....and as the daughter of a 4th generation pedant, there was no escaping my upbringing to be precise, articulate, and to look things up......

still - the ill-education of 'proper' General English of small-town, rural kids I blame on the teachers. It isn't the kids' fault that their teachers and parents speak that way.

*sigh* I miss my dad.

Anyway - yeah - so, part of the Ren Fest thing is 'academy', where lessons are given in "Renaissance" and "Received English" - including how to talk like a peasant or a queen or a merchant, to fit character as much as possible. Mr Wigs says he had a very 'hillbilly' manner of speaking before that which had crippled his status in the professional world (IT guy), and that when he learned 'RE' he began to realize how thick his accent had been.

Sometimes he still lapses into it (rarely), and that's fine....but I have a bad habit of correcting him on grammar and pronunciation even when he's speaking General English very well

(newscaster-level!
) He hates it, but I can't help myself.

So......la la lalalal...Oh! Yes, why I came onto the thread - so, in BROADCHURCH, Tom was in court (a minor) to testify, and no one was wearing their wigs. What's that all about????

Anyone?

edit on 1/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

So I can't use: would of, should of or could of, when replying to you? awww

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

What?
sorry, i don't get your meaning at all.....

"woulda, coulda, shoulda" is fine.

using correct grammar, it would read:
would have, could have, should have.

But none of us really care about that. 'woulda' 'shoulda' 'coulda' is vernacular, and colloquialism......that is fine.

In writing, though, it's lame to say "I could of" or "I would of" or "I should of"...because that just is not correct....sure, we understand what you mean, but nevertheless,

'have' is not the same as 'of'.

Thanks for participating.

edit on 1/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Sorry, bad joke. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone uses "of" instead of "have".

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Okay - so, the question remains, why did the court personnel not wear their wigs when a minor was testifying?

And -
thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
Netflix suggested (and I was roped into by their clever site! lol) "Hinterland" - takes place in Wales.

"Luther" is officially on my list.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Have you watched Sherlock with Ben Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? I really enjoy it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join