It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yeah, uh, Yellowstone might be errupting soon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
According to the OP article there's a 10% of a yellowstone eruption in 80 years.

Well according THIS article published a day later they seem to be more certain

In the report, titled "Extreme Geo-hazards: Reducing the Disaster Risk and Increasing Resilience,” scientists predict that the Yellowstone volcano will erupt within 70 years and will have the potential to wipe out a considerable amount of the western United States. The report urges the government to prepare for such events.

www.ibtimes.com...

I doubt this is real. But a yellowstone "threat" is PERFECT cover for fortifying bunkers in the western and interior US against climate change.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ok, just out of curiosity, lets say the volcano decides to erupt o June 21 of this year. Dont fous on the date I am only proposing hypotheticals here . So much of the Western US is #ed, ok whatever. How does it affect those of us East of the Mississippi? Crops will probably die off. But, will everything get really cold from the ash?? Will the atmosphere become toxic to breathe and everyone on Earth die or what??

Basically what I am asking is, to what extent will humanity in various parts of the Earth die off and how significant will the effects last?? How will I suffer more or less in Florida, in relation to say, anyone who lives in the UK, compared to Angola.

As a private citizen who is planning my family line and business three generations down, I prefer to be prepared for any contingency and would like to know where would be the best place in my plans to relocate our assets and family when Junior or his kids are running the show.

I am sure very few if any of us are planning that far ahead, but I do because I give a damn about my bloodline. So, anybody got any serious answers??

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I'd like to believe the scientific community here on ATS like the members of Quakewatch would be capable of giving you fair warning to secure your "Bloodline" and it remains in existence. Keep an eye on the seismic readings and any news of real changes in her behavior. There is definitely a quicker flow of information here than any outside source. But I'd say if Yellowstone does begin to hickup in any serious way there will be plenty of time to get outta dodge..

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I bet they said that percentage just before Mt. St. Helens blew it's top. What a lie. Look at the world sizemick activity as of the last 5 years and every 5 years before that and take an estimate from that. You will be SHOCKED by the results. It is ramping up, getting worse and your planet is warming up. Don't believe me, check it out yourself and you come back here and tell me what you find out about a percentage. Take a look outside, it's January and I see brown grass everywhere. I'm sure this does Not help the situation . An EXAMPLE. If you have 5 volcano's blow in the 1900's and every 5 years it blows 1 more volcano. How many volcano's blow in 2016 ? You Do the math. My question is WHY ?
edit on 9-1-2016 by operayt because: add a thought

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Volcanoes are monitored and defined on an INDIVIDUAL basis, by special teams DEDICATED to understanding and logging every aspect of that single volcano's makeup and baseline seismicity, heat generation, ground deformation, gas emissions, and more.

Notice how conveniently the article fails to even mention the YVO, or the University of Utah, which are the monitoring agencies for Yellowstone. The point is folks, the next time you read something about Yellowstone, don't forget to check with the agencies that know Yellowstone far better than anyone else. Never forget that the director Jake said that he believes Yellowstone is "finished," mostly due to the low percentage of actual melt, around 10-15%. Meaning they don't believe Yellowstone is due anytime soon, and may be on the path to extinction.

And just in case they are wrong, I watch the thing like a hawk with spectrographs nearly every waking moment I am home. After ten years of doing so, I believe I am in a good position to note any characteristic changes in earthquake swarm activity, when we get swarms. I am nearly always involved or usually start a lot of the Yellowstone threads around here when a swarm starts.

And if it's another volcano, find out the monitoring agencies, and get direct opinions from people at those agencies. Don't be misled by trash articles such as this.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Depends on the magintude of the eruption but it could be catastrophic for US and would have an effect on global weather.

The model shows that the fallout from a Yellowstone super-eruption could affect three quarters of the US. The greatest danger would be within 1,000 km of the blast where 90 per cent of people could be killed. Large numbers of people would die across the country – inhaled ash forms a cement-like mixture in human lungs. Even the US East Coast could be paralysed by 1cm of ash. Many people think that lava flows are the most dangerous volcanic hazards, but ash is often the biggest killer. Because supervolcanoes are highly explosive, much of the magma doesn't get a chance to become lava. Instead it is blasted into countless airborne ash particles – tiny scorching particles of jagged rock.

Ash can:

- Kill and sicken humans and animals
- Reduce sunlight
- Trigger rainfall causing mudslides known as lahars
- Severely disrupt air, road and rail transport
- Crush buildings – 30 cm of dry ash is enough to collapse a roof
- Contaminate water supplies
- Kill crops and other vegetation
- Clog machinery such as air filters.

The worst of these effects would not be experienced in Europe where the ash covering would only amount to a dusting. The most wide reaching effect of a Yellowstone eruption would be much colder weather.

Volcanoes can inject sulphur gas into the upper atmosphere, forming sulphuric acid aerosols that rapidly spread around the globe. Scientists believe sulphuric aerosols are the main cause of climatic cooling after an eruption.Aerosols in the upper atmosphere would also scatter sunlight making the sky look like a cloudy winter morning all day long. The skies in Europe would appear red in the days after the eruption.

Experts believe a Yellowstone eruption would inject 2,000 million tonnes of sulphur 40-50km above the Earth's surface. Once there it would take 2-3 weeks for the resulting sulphuric acid aerosols to cloak the globe – with devastating effects.

Global annual average temperatures would drop by up to 10 degrees, according to computer predictions. And the Northern Hemisphere could cool by up to 12 degrees. Experts say colder temperatures could last 6-10 years, gradually returning to normal.

Scientists predict that the Monsoon would fail as a result of even larger temperature changes in the Southern Hemisphere, causing mass starvation in the Asian countries that depend on these life-giving rains.

source

Additional sources:

www.ryot.org...

www.techtimes.com...

So you might be needing a gas mask just to stay alive while making a retreat to a safe location...Rest of the world would survive the blast and ash cloud but as mentioned in the article there would be serious consequences.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d
Ok, so I will need to build a mountain fortress in the highlands of Puerto Rico or possibly Jamaica then and be certain it is stocked with years and years worth of dry rice and canned goods. I will add that to my list, and make sure Junior keeps working towards it before I am gone.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: olddognewtricks

Pity Obama does not pay attention and deal with things like this which affects the country he lives in and off, as opposed to trying to get rid of other country's elected leaders.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone from ATS to blame a possible Yellowstone eruption on the President. At this point we know Obama was responsible for all plagues in history and the extinction of the dinosaurs...

That's ridiculous. Obama is NOT 6,000 years old!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: olddognewtricks

Brother, we are to busy killing eachother to worry about yellow stone

ISIS may claim responsibility for the eruption though.

You heard it here first, folks.

Pat Robertson will claim gay people are responsible for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I think that it is a matter of when it happens it will happen. Isn't much anyone can do about it and to 'future trip' over it seems a little pointless. Living in Idaho, right next door, if it does happen in my life time my personal opinion is I have a front row seat to the best show on earth. Shrugs, just an opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wresner83
I think that it is a matter of when it happens it will happen. Isn't much anyone can do about it and to 'future trip' over it seems a little pointless. Living in Idaho, right next door, if it does happen in my life time my personal opinion is I have a front row seat to the best show on earth. Shrugs, just an opinion.
you do realize that part of past eruptions were supersonic pyroclastic flows that incinerated and then buried everything inside them and these reached 2 or three hundred miles or more before going subsonic?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Yes I do, I realize that even a state away if it were to blow right now I wouldn't outrun it. As I stated, not much any one can do, especially me living this close to it.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
May I ask you something stormbringer?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

May I ask you something stormbringer?
sure.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
How much do you know about Wyoming in general?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

How much do you know about Wyoming in general?
most of my knowledge of Wyoming stems from interest in four or five things:

Gold/silver prospecting in the Wyoming Black hills and western mountain ranges. Diamonds on the border between southern Wyoming and northern Colorado. Nuclear targets and their projected fallout patterns. possibility of rural acreage real estate purchase. and the super volcano.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Nods. The reason I ask is that is my concern with the whole situation. The fact that there are missile silos all over Wyoming, who knows what else, and when this does occur, again if it's any time in the near future, I hope that the globe isn't faced with a volcanic as well as actual nuclear problem.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Nods. The reason I ask is that is my concern with the whole situation. The fact that there are missile silos all over Wyoming, who knows what else, and when this does occur, again if it's any time in the near future, I hope that the globe isn't faced with a volcanic as well as actual nuclear problem.
the silos are able to withstand a nearby strike of atomic weapons. Odds are the silos would just be buried. i do not think that even the super volcano going would result in an event that would aerosolize the pit material. even if the propellant and the trigger charge goes off the worst that could happen is the ejection of the pit or large chunks of it that would not go far. there would be no dispersal of radioactive fall out in the way an actual atomic explosion would create. and atomic weapons have mechanical safeties as well as software fail safes to prevent an unintended atomic explosion. atomic explosions are surprisingly hard to accomplish. everything has to be just right.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Shrugs. I can't begin to speculate, I'm not a nuclear physicists nor volconologist. I do know that worry over events that are out of one's scope of control robs you of your power to affect the things you do have control over.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
for the supervolcano to aresolize the nuclear warhead the silos would have to be right over the part of the caldera that explodes. i find the idea that the USG would site a silo directly over the caldera highly improbable. even then uranium and plutonium are incredibly hard materials. i do not know if even a super volcano eruption would have sufficient power to finely mince the material. if chunks of a pit are ejected onto the country side (even though for months or years there might not be a clean up team sent in for the purpose) finding them and picking them up would be both easy and for all practical purposes comprehensive. geiger counter. team in radiological gear or robot. no problem because chunks are chunks not fine dust which would require more complicated clean up.
edit on 10-1-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join