It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Search, My Take

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Hi All

I apologies if I put this in the wrong forum. This is my first post.

I was just wondering, SETI is searching for communictions in space for signs of intelligent life in other worlds. Now if all the stories are true that their are alien bases here on earth e.g Himalayas, Ladak region (spelling) & alien activity in the US, Area 51 & the like. Surely there must be some sort of communication from these visiting craft to perhaps their homeworld or other ships in space.

Why can't SETI or any Govt or private company/citizen search for these comms from Earth outwards in the areas where people belive there are Alien bases / Landing Zones, rather that searching the vast expanse that is space for a 1 in God knows how many chance of finding the right spot where there are signals.

I am not familiar with signal tracking etc or the technology involved in the search for these signals. Just my 2 cents, Don't you guys think it would make more sense this way ?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Well they could be using another form of communication other then radio, which is what SETI looks for. In fact, they would have to be. A message to thier home world using radio frequncy would take thousands of years, assuming they aren't sending to the nearest star. In which case it would still take about 9 years to get a reply.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea but you might have a real problem with funding except you can convince enough people that there is alien activity on earth. What SETI does, seems much more reasonable to the skeptic public.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Actually, to increase the odds in one's favor, one should start listening to each of the 135 known planetary systems

Candidate planets around main sequence stars

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I recently watched a video called: Evidence: A case of NASA ufos. In this video, a person describes the minute chance of SETI finding a signal because they only search radio waves. According to the video, we have to search in the direction of gamma rays. See the pic below for what I am talking about. Humans can only see the visible light portion. For a better explanation, you should download the above mentioned video from a torrent site.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
For me Seti is a farce. I mean how do you explain the paradox between all these solid ufo evidences and the fact that these people simply ignore them and continue making the world dream about life in the universe. This is PURE desinformation.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think Seti is looking for evidence of radio signals from ETs, that is that they once used them in their history. The reality that any visiting ET would still use radio signals is very improbable.
Seti is more like an archaeologist dig for bones. Just looking for proof.
Radio use could be a basic step in technological evolution, like the stone wheel. ET would think of radio like the stone wheel. Seti is hoping that ET went through that first baby step.
Radio waves travel far too slowly to be of any use as a practical communication means in space. If, in ET's far past, they used radio the way we do, the signals would still be in transit. Just like our old and current radio broadcasts are.
I think it is more likely that any ETs in the neighbor hood would be using some sort of long distance communication that we would probably not even recognize as such, or even be able to detect with our level of technology.

[edit on 1/7/2005 by Notme]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Its a really cool idea, seti@home.
I have been running it for a few months now, It looks nice on the Screen saver too

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by codvx
Its a really cool idea, seti@home.
I have been running it for a few months now, It looks nice on the Screen saver too

Well then, be sure to use BOINC and join the ATS team!

Here's the abovetopsecret team URL. 294 strong.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by senshido

Why does the page only show 30 of the members?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
most likely highly advanced aliens that are capable of taveling from other starts wont be using radio signals they will use another form of communications that is far more advanced then what seti uses.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Notme

Originally posted by senshido

Why does the page only show 30 of the members?

Only about 30 of us are actually using the standard BOINC version at the moment.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by YugiOH
...Why can't SETI or any Govt or private company/citizen search for these comms from Earth outwards in the areas where people belive there are Alien bases / Landing Zones, rather that searching the vast expanse that is space

I would prefer the zeta reticuli region get scanned thoroughly first, but since it is in the southern hemisphere, this does not seem to have been done.

see here

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I think Seti is looking for evidence of radio signals from ETs, that is that they once used them in their history. The reality that any visiting ET would still use radio signals is very improbable.
Seti is more like an archaeologist dig for bones. Just looking for proof.
Radio use could be a basic step in technological evolution, like the stone wheel. ET would think of radio like the stone wheel. Seti is hoping that ET went through that first baby step.

And the rest.... an excellent summarization of what SETI is trying to do...well put...and hopefully enlightening for those still vaguely familiar with what it's trying to do....

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Trust me SETI is just a cover up about alien contact. Ever read about story of 1867 in USA.

top topics

join