It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to announce new executive action on guns

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

The problem and the point of these executive actions is to prevent deranged individuals with a history of mental illness, from walking into gun shops and walking out with an AK47 or AR15. 

Do you have figures on how often this happens now?
Does it happen a lot?
ETA:
I am curious as to how much effect these actions might have. The Aurora, Colorado shooter was denied an insanity defense. How many shootings occur that are perpetrated by people with mental illness?
Does it come anywhere near the 480,000 people per year that die because of tobacco use?
edit on b000000312016-01-05T19:20:19-06:0007America/ChicagoTue, 05 Jan 2016 19:20:19 -0600700000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Crying Obama. What a FAKER.

Don't want no crybabies in the WH, especially FAKERS.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Obama crying?

He's trolling the pro-2nd Amendment people.

It appears to be working...

Obama: 1

Gun people: 0

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

My issue with it is primarily the method. This is a very hot issue and the American people, on both sides, deserve for it to be decided through the proper Congressional channels (and yes, inaction/gridlock is an acceptable outcome if the two sides cannot agree) rather than by a one man edict.

That being said, I'll be honest here, I don't think these executive actions amount to much at all. That's not surprising, given how little leeway the law actually gives him. Even the much rumored limits on private sales failed to materialize; he basically just re-iterated existing law and changed nothing in that regard. The only substantive part was that regarding tightening the reporting of certain mental health issues into the background check system, and yes, I can generally support that.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Why was my thread shut down and redirected here? It dealt with the issue of Obama increasing gun sales with his new laws. Different topic.

You can send a message to a moderator stating why you think your thread is different and they will look at it and if true they will reopen it.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'd put it up around Obama: 1776 (lol)
Gun People: -1000000000000

I don't think I've ever seen gun people get so scared.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

So because it doesn't happen often it doesn't need to be addressed?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Yep, it's all designed to make them look as loony as possible. Maximum emotional irrationality from the pro-gun people, it just makes the rest of the public go, "God, maybe the SHOULD have their guns taken away...look at how childish and insane they're acting?!"

And the pro-2nd people are walking right into the trap designed to illicit strong emotional reactions...

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

He's actually trolling his own supporters. They're treating it like its some great victory, but it really doesn't amount to much. The hilarious thing is that he's probably weakened the ability of Hillary and Bernie Sanders to use background checks as a campaign issue by creating a public perception that he's done something substantive on that issue already. In reality, he didn't do anything except restate the existing law which still allows private sales.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

So because it doesn't happen often it doesn't need to be addressed?

Why not address the issue that kills 480,000 people per year and has NO benefits to anyone.... and isn't granted any Constitutional protection whatsoever?

Seems like this is a bogus issue.

It really isn't about people dying.... face that fact at least.
edit on b000000312016-01-05T19:23:33-06:0007America/ChicagoTue, 05 Jan 2016 19:23:33 -0600700000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Yep, it's all designed to make them look as loony as possible. Maximum emotional irrationality from the pro-gun people, it just makes the rest of the public go, "God, maybe the SHOULD have their guns taken away...look at how childish and insane they're acting?!"

And the pro-2nd people are walking right into the trap designed to illicit strong emotional reactions...

It gets worse because next year Hillary is going to be knocking on their doors asking for the guns...

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

So you think it's a bogus issue to prevent deranged individuals with a history of mental illness from buying guns.

Got it.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
when the next mass shooting happens, gun owners will be crying about how they are blamed for everything.

And then when any semblance of common sense gun control gets proposed they will be the ones tossing common sense out the window and opposing it.

It's almost comical at this point, like a dog chasing its tail

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

So you think it's a bogus issue to prevent deranged individuals with a history of mental illness from buying guns.

Got it.

Nice try. That isn't my point at all. If you think it is, you have my sympathy.
You apparently have no figures on how many people are killed by deranged people with guns that were purchased legally.
So that actual figure could conceivably be zero.
I will ask you, if confronted with two things that could be changed:
Guns- which do have Constitutional protection
Or
Tobacco- which kills over 10 times as many people each year... and has no Constitutional protection...
Which one do you change???

You think guns is the best thing to change.

Way to save lives.
edit on b000000312016-01-05T19:46:02-06:0007America/ChicagoTue, 05 Jan 2016 19:46:02 -0600700000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

He's actually trolling his own supporters. They're treating it like its some great victory, but it really doesn't amount to much. The hilarious thing is that he's probably weakened the ability of Hillary and Bernie Sanders to use background checks as a campaign issue by creating a public perception that he's done something substantive on that issue already. In reality, he didn't do anything except restate the existing law which still allows private sales.

Plus one, if thats Ok..

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Here's one 2014 Isla Vista shooting

So there goes your point out the window

And why not both?

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

And why not both?

My point is out the window?

Find a year where 480,000 people were killed by guns in the US and you will be starting to push my point somewhere.
Do you know how many people are killed by guns in the US each year on average?

I am seeing that you do not get my point.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here's an interesting graph that was posted by another member.

Anyone notice a trend? Lock your doors people.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

And why not both?

By the way,
I see nothing in the article about an insane person legally purchasing a gun and then killing people with it.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Who said guns were the problem though?

Insane people with guns are the real problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join