It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know there is a country called Guernsey?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I just had my, one of those timeline shift moment. One of my youtube video was viewed by a person from the country of 'Guernsey'. Wiki shows their capital city as St. Peter Port. The country is located between France and the UK. They have their own currency, internet code, languages called Guernésiais, Sercquiais, Auregnais c

Link to Wiki
edit on 30/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I've definitely heard of it, but I'm a map addict, so none of the Channel Islands are new to me. Those with knowledge of WW2 probably know it, too, especially in the UK -- if memory serves, it was the only British soil to be occupied by the Germans.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I've definitely heard of it, but I'm a map addict, so none of the Channel Islands are new to me. Those with knowledge of WW2 probably know it, too, especially in the UK -- if memory serves, it was the only British soil to be occupied by the Germans.

Yea I read this was under Nazi occupation. This place is not at all talked about anywhere. I dont even know how to pronounce the name of this country.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well, the Island sort of look like it has legs and a head and is sort of the shape of a hanging steer, but for some reason I think the people of that country may have a beef with my assertion that it is bull

edit on 30-12-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k
Yea I read this was under Nazi occupation. This place is not at all talked about anywhere. I dont even know how to pronounce the name of this country.

Seems obvious to me in it's spelling, at least with English pronunciation rules. I've always pronounced it "gurn-zee", which is apparently spot on.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It's a unique place for financial independence.

Rothschild Bank International is based in Guernsey and offers a range of private client banking services to high net worth individuals based in the UK or elsewhere in the world and works closely with other parts of the Rothschild Group

This is one of the places that many of the remaining templar knights escaped to during and after the slaughter.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Guernsey and the other Crown possessions are not sovereign counties per se. Also, Guernsey et al do not have their own currency - they can print their own banknotes, but the currency is pound sterling.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k
Guernsey belongs to the Channel Islands, ruled by Queen Elizabeth in her capacity as the Duke of Normandy.
They are the only part of the Duchy that the French failed to reconquer.
As such, they are not technically part of the United Kingdom, though Britain would probably find ways of intervening in case of necessity.

The pronunciation is GURNZEY.

P.S

languages called Guernésiais, Sercquiais, Auregnais

These will be the dialects of the islands known in English as Guernsey, Sark, and Alderney. There is probably one for Jersey as well.

edit on 31-12-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
www.visitguernsey.com... shows the island. The common language is English and French. Population at 65k.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

One of the " sister " islands to Guernsey is Jersey. The name was adopted for one of the U.S. States i.e New Jersey.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hey, I live on Guernsey, It's an Island, not a country, in a group of islands called the Channel Islands, inbetween England and France.

You might have heard of Guernsey Cows, they're one of the most used cows in the world, they're far and wide and they originate from here.

Jersey is the biggest of our island and you get Jersey cows and Jersey royal potatoes, Guernsey has a population of about 60,000 where as Jersey has 150,000

The area of Guernsey is only 27 miles.

Our currency is the pound sterling, but we have our own notes, you may use google images, our £1 note is green, where as the UK mainly use pound coins, if you have any questions about my Island I'll be happy to answer them

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
65+ years later we still celebrate our "Independance" from the German Occupation on May the 9th 1945, we were "Liberated" by Winston Churchills forces, we still have many concrete structures that the germans built including an underground hospital and many bunkers and Martello towers.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The rapid increase is attributed to a variety of factors - millennials seeking unconventional vacations, ease of global travel, and the rise in adventure-focused resorts and destinations, joey houssian[/url]. In 2012, the global milestone of one billion international tourists in one calendar year was reached.
edit on Dec 26th 2018 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Never even heard about that one.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It`s very interesting. I have never heard about this country! Thank you for the new topic to learn about

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
First time i heard about it, it made me browsed for more, then i found other countries that ive never heard of such as : Tokelau, Nagorno Karabach Republic, Pitcairn Island, and Comoros.
Pitcairn island's pretty strict, in there dancing isnt allowed, as well as smoking and drinking alcohol.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

IT IS NOT A COUNTRY

top topics

join