It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress wants NASA to build a deep space habitat for astronauts, and finish it by 2018

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well damn, I had always thought it would have to stay in liquid form for density. Ice based radiation shields theoretically could be constructed outside the craft itself, quite easily I would assume. I know the potential for it impacting a micrometeor would make it a challenge, but would you think making an exterior ice-shield would be better than an interior one? Obviously with interior backups for emergency, but that could reduce the requirements of a vessel if some of the aspects could be focused externally with natural forces right?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Hmmm. I could think of several reasons to fund this idea. 1st idea: It ties in with the D.U.M.B. project. Why not have even more protection if earth gets hit by some foreign large Rock or some major eruption. They can have a choice. Go hide in the tunnels or hide out in space. 2nd thought: MAYBE they actually found some planet near by that they think they can reach and are going to send supplies and people there to make habitation. IF so, I wonder how they plan to combat new diseases. Also, this new material they have has a high strength and it light as a feather. Maybe this new material they will send it up in space when they build that ELEVATOR . Send up the materials to build this thing. I'm sure they will use this new material to make the spacecraft with, maybe some huge rotating balloon or something. Why terraform a planet when you already have plant life and a suitable amount of oxygen to use. 3RD THOUGHT: Maybe they will start to build a military base in space. Think about it, A mini Death Star. With all the solar power for use of Lasers. Your enemies cain't touch you and you can spot a missle thousands and thousands of miles away. A perfect ruse to say to the public. We are building a friendly space station. I already seen all their plans for this elevator. Build materials on earth and assemble large platforms and habitats on the platform and just keep building and sending up materials that can be easily assembled in space. OH and this new material. you can send ELECTRICITY up into space thru this material. I would have to see this space elevator concept to believe it tho. How would they get it up there ? And the weight . I guess well see. seeing is believing.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Kratos40
Water would work well. It's just very heavy. Getting heavy stuff into space is hard.
If material shielding is the goal, it would probably be some sort of plastic material.

I see your point. Let's just spend the money for either sending a huge rocket that can lift all of this cargo plus water, or send it in orbit in multiple trips for collection at pick up points around ELO or at LaGrange points near the Moon.
Another option would be to insulate the living quarters with heavy water. Or deuterium if you will, but it won't be good for drinking. By the way, is that Zubrin guy still involved in of this? I really admired his enthusiasm about colonizing Mars.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: Phage

Well damn, I had always thought it would have to stay in liquid form for density. Ice based radiation shields theoretically could be constructed outside the craft itself, quite easily I would assume. I know the potential for it impacting a micrometeor would make it a challenge, but would you think making an exterior ice-shield would be better than an interior one? Obviously with interior backups for emergency, but that could reduce the requirements of a vessel if some of the aspects could be focused externally with natural forces right?

I think there is an Isaac Asimov short story about this, I could be mistaken. Earth was about to be annihilated by meteors, and humanity had only 100 years to build these humungous generational ships to transport humanity to viable worlds.
So anyways, what the technology involved was to create a honeycombed patterned Ice shield in front of the generational ship. One purpose being that they were cruising at very high speed and protecting against space debris. The other against radiation.
Can someone jog my memory about this story? This idea sounds plausible in the real world.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I wonder how are they going to deal with the radiation problem up there. Maybe build some kind of machine that makes an O-ZONE layer and a magnetic field around it. I don't know, just guessing. They would have to build it big enough so that they could grow plants in it instead of lugging up oxygen tanks or maybe they know how to make oxygen naturally, who knows. Also, how fast does it go or does it just sit there.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
youtu.be... Enjoy. They think it can be done. Interesting find.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Are you implying that a deep space habitat doesnt already exist? With all the accounts of BBT's over the years, and some of us still cant come to grips with the fact that we landed on the moon, or much less, have a deep space habitat!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join