It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress wants NASA to build a deep space habitat for astronauts, and finish it by 2018

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Xcathdra
Maybe.
For the Mars mission itself though, that's pretty much a given.

I raised that point because from what im reading the intent here looks like its just the US. I think they need a master plan open to any country who wants to assist.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Still something I'll still be around for... It will be, assuming success, something to see.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I raised that point because from what im reading the intent here looks like its just the US.

I disagree.

We seek the capacity for people to work, learn, operate, and sustainably live safely beyond Earth for extended periods of time. We will achieve this goal with a growing number of international and commercial partners, realizing economic benefits and strengthening America’s leadership on Earth and in space.

NASA, together with its international and commercial partners, will develop a strategy to complete “Mars-ready” habitation system testing on Earth and on ISS.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Congress is too stupid to ensure NASA can get an astronaut into space without foreign help. That leaves me with little confidence in anything congress says regarding space exploration. Screw you congress...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

I don't think the U.S. can do this alone. Nor should it.

Space exploration is humanities destiny, not just Americans. Or Russia. Or whomever.

That's how I see it anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I just wish the world would have put as much into space exploration than it has into war...

Then just maybe we'd have seen FTL travel before we depart this earth.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

There is a lot of truth to that.

It's all part of growing up as a big, big group, or family even. It'll happen. It has to, or bad things will happen.

I'd hate to think that the Voyagers, and Pioneers would be our only legacy as a race. Only time will tell.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I'm 31 y/o. I hope to see man walk on Mars before I go. But at the rate things are going, it's doubtful. The priority is on oil and natural resources. Not on space exploration. I hope the world's space agencies can somehow come together to accomplish a goal that forever towers over July 20th, 1969.

edit on 12/30/2015 by EternalSolace because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I hope the world's space agencies can somehow come together to accomplish a goal tha forever towers over July 20th, 1969.

Each step on each world will be a milestone. But the first step on the first one is the most important. And always will be.

edit on 12/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

It's all about energy, and getting that energy where it needs to go.

It's that simple.

Space is full of energy. Converting that energy to a usable form is where the future of mega-riches is at. Once that is solved, space becomes very important. Much more so than any Earth-based resource.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I remember that day vividly, even though I was only five years old.

It'll forever stand as an example of what Man can accomplish. 'course you already know that.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I hope the world's space agencies can somehow come together to accomplish a goal tha forever towers over July 20th, 1969.

Each step on each world will be a milestone. But the first step on the first one is the most important. And always will be.

Granted. However, Mars would be one hell of a milestone.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Will be.
And a far greater challenge than the Moon was.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Barring the unthinkable...it's only a matter of time before Man lands on Mars.

By the end of this century, we'll be there. I'd like to be alive to see it, but I'll settle for knowing we'll get there.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I'd like to be alive to see it...

Me too.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I completely agree. I think space exploration should occur in the name of humanity / earth and not a country.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Makes you wonder if Congress knows about something coming we don't. 2 years is a helluva short time for such a project.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It would be an impossibly short time to get a project from concept to launch, but I do not think that is what is being suggested in the article.

As far as I can tell, they are being asked to build what amounts to a show house for space, a facsimile of what they believe will be on board the craft, a rough outline of the dimensions of the interior spaces, equipment and facilities, and perhaps a mock up body for the craft to encapsulate it all. They are not looking to go from design to ignition in two years, that is an absolute certainty.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yea, I know I saw prototype. Even for a prototype it's a really really short time. It would be assumed in 2 years congress would expect NASA to be starting construction. Mars one has been going for 5 years already and is still in the prototyping phase, and that's just for a land based settlement, not a long-term space colony

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Mars one has been going for 5 years already and is still in the prototyping phase, and that's just for a land based settlement, not a long-term space colony
Mars One is a plan to make money by making a TV show of people dying.

NASA has no plans for a settlement or a long term colony on Mars. This project involves creating a habitat similar to the ISS, in Earth orbit, with the intent of further research into the requirements of a manned mission to and from Mars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join