It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else contemplating their own mortality?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Didn't know about Lemmy. Man...talk about an icon. I read elsewhere that Meadlowlark Lemon died, too.

RE: my mortality...not really. I do sometimes feel a twinge of sadness knowing my best years are behind me. Having to get used to the notion that i can't do something I may have once been able to do. I was always quite strong compared to most folks, and you kind of tend to rely on that sort of thing. So not being able to carry something that would have been easy...that is missed dearly. I can tell its starting to actually dawn on me because I find myself declining to do something because Im just not as young as I was.

Dying isn't something that worries me. Itll happen when it happens. Im scared to death of my wife dying, though. She gives me purpose, and adds light to my day.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

Aha, perhaps I shouldn't be saying this as I'm only in my 20s, but I think you're going to have a midlife crisis soon.

Edit:

That is to say, it's probably normal for someone around your age to think these things at some point.

On that note, here ya go nonspecific Corvette Build and Price

I'm 40 as well. Have had some such thoughts over the past couple of years, but mostly caused by having children of my own now, having had a LOT of deaths around me over the past few years, and a couple of cancers among friends under 40, causing me to begin questioning my invincibility (I'm a late bloomer in this regard.)

As for "all downhill" - it's supposed to be, but downhill meaning it's supposed to be easier. Best you can do is gather momentum and try to fill your life up as much as possible before it ends. It's perfectly natural to start feeling as though you're "on the back 9." Sometimes I feel like if I'm 40 "already", 80 is going to come REALLY quick, and other times, I think back on life, and it's crazy how much experience is packed into those years. It's as if the years go by fast and slow, depending on how you look at them at any particular moment.

I'm planning on 120 years, myself, but you never know.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SirGuese

If I was 40 I'd be contemplating death too. realistically you only have at most 20 years of life. These days hardly anyone makes it to 60

You can obviously ignore this. What would make someone believe that?

On Topic -

Anyway....The average life span is about 70 for men, but all the "old" people I know are far past that. As we get older, medicine gets better and I believe you have At Least another 30 - 40 years on this rock.
How do I deal with my own mortality? Well, there's really nothing I can actually do about it, so I just hope for the best and enjoy it while I'm here. If anything, the last year www.abovetopsecret.com...
has taught me to enjoy what little I have left.

edit on 29-12-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I do have enough 'wordly goods' to sustain several families for their livetimes. No bragging, just answering your question.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You forgot how old you are? How do you forget how old you are?

I really don't think about my mortality. I've been in so many situations where I almost died that it just doesn't make sense to. It sounds like you're going through a midlife crisis or something.

What you're going through now reminds me of this song:

To me, it's about facing your mortality and living with it, unafraid. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

edit on 29-12-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
The older I get... the younger I feel. Strange concept I know but it's true. You know that saying 'you are as young as you feel', well... think it, be it.

Seriously... I don't feel older than I was 10 years ago.

I still feel 15, luckily I don't still think like I did when I was 15, but now that my eye sight is going, if I don't wear my glasses when I look in the mirror, I think I might still look 15 (in a fog).

I hope I just live long enough to stay useful, independent and interested and not so long that I am reliant on others to wipe places I've wiped for myself most of my life.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Entropy. It all boils down to entropy.

Complicated structures have a tendency to resolve to a simpler form. In human terms, since life is still quite a mysterious thing to contemplate, and a complex one, it makes sense that it will end, surrender itself to the simplicity of decomposition.

Personally speaking however, since I am more than aware that a) I could be struck by an out of control tanker full of farmyard muck, or impaled by falling scaffolding from any one of five areas of heavy construction in my town, making my concerns about tomorrow rather moot, and b) that I cannot afford to hit retirement age anyway, I am less concerned about my mortality, and rather more interested in ensuring that if I must pass from this world, I do it without costing my family a great deal of money.

Inevitability is something I rely on in life, and there is nothing more inevitable than the end of it.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Lol

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
To die

Would be the greatest adventure of all

Peter pan

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Life is like falling from a great height.

The ending is inevitable. Just enjoy the view on your way down.

I think we all need to learn to fly then.

Don't believe in death even if its inevitable, refuse to believe in it, tend to think this is an illusion. I'll keep that nutty thought going as this isn't my home. I want everyone I love to go home.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I don't worry about something i have no control over. I do however, believe it's all a subliminal suggestive illusion. That's just me, though. People should believe whatever they like, and not what they're feared into believing.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
The older I get... the younger I feel. Strange concept I know but it's true. You know that saying 'you are as young as you feel', well... think it, be it.

Seriously... I don't feel older than I was 10 years ago.

I still feel 15, luckily I don't still think like I did when I was 15, but now that my eye sight is going, if I don't wear my glasses when I look in the mirror, I think I might still look 15 (in a fog).

I hope I just live long enough to stay useful, independent and interested and not so long that I am reliant on others to wipe places I've wiped for myself most of my life.

LOL.

I think I'd prefer to be wiping my own butt too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join