It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Meat is Unethical

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Resostone
To those buying/bought into the vegan craze.
If it didn't have a title and a sense of community alongside, would you still follow this fashion?
Where are the smart vegetarian/vegans?
Everyone who has defended their side has used lies, propaganda and insults to try and get their point across.
Do what you want, stop preaching. Just know you have been suckered in.
Another point for the left (new right) liberal agenda: using peoples' emotions to control them.

If a cow was hungry enough, it would eat you and not shed a tear.

You are right, it does seem to be somewhat of a trend at the moment. I can't answer for anyone else but I am not interested in whether it is trendy or not, that's not why I am doing it (although it does make it easier because we are catered for more). I haven't been part of a 'community' until the last couple of weeks when I joined a social media group to share recipe ideas.

I don't believe I have used lies propaganda or insults, but happy to be corrected if I am wrong, that's not how I like to discuss issues. I don't usually 'preach' either but I got involved in this thread as I wanted to defend the right to speak up on issues such as animal suffering without being shot down for 'preaching'. Just because something is currently the societal norm or is seen as natural doesn't make it untouchable as has been shown throughout time.

Your last point is irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
I've never understood why a plant's life is less valuable than an animal's.

If you REALLY wanted to eat ethically, you'd eat only minerals and sunlight.

Plants aren't sentient, it's not about which is more valuable, it is about the ability to suffer pain, emotional and physical.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blarneystoner

Physiologically, humans need meat... It's a fact.

This might explain your cognitive impairment:

People who don’t eat meat are especially vulnerable to neurotransmitter imbalances because of the absence of meat protein, which provides all of the essential amino acids human bodies need. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that regulate many of our functions, including physical, cognitive, and mental performance, as well as our sleep cycle, weight, and emotional states.

Source

No, it's obvoius humans do not 'need' meat from the large number of healty vegetarians on the earth.

I don't know whether your quote can be backed up or not but assuming it's true this can be easily avoided by a well planned diet as all of the amino acids we need are available to us in plant form.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
I've never understood why a plant's life is less valuable than an animal's.

If you REALLY wanted to eat ethically, you'd eat only minerals and sunlight.

Plants aren't sentient, it's not about which is more valuable, it is about the ability to suffer pain, emotional and physical.

Are you sure about that?

www.psychologytoday.com...

Scientists are indeed questioning whether this distinction is as clear-cut as modern science has previously assumed. In 2005 researchers founded the Society for Plant Neurobiology to advance in this debate. A founder of the organization, the Italian scientist Stefano Mancuso, argues that we should stop assuming that a brain is needed for intelligence. Even without neurons and a brain, plants can acquire, process, and integrate information to shape their behavior in a way that could be called intelligent...Frantisek Baluska at the University of Bonn, Germany, has pushed further into the question of consciousness by suggesting that plants may even experience pain. They release the chemical ethylene when stressed—when being eaten, attacked, or cut. Nearby plants can sense the ethylene.

It's not as clear cut as you might think.

www.theguardian.com...

“In the last several decades science has been showing that plants are endowed with feeling, weave complex social relations and can communicate with themselves and with animals,” write Mancuso and Viola, who also argue that plants show behaviours similar to sleeping and playing.And it turns out Darwin was likely right all along. Mancuso has found rising evidence that the key to plant intelligence is in the radicle or root apex. Mancuso and colleagues recorded the same signals given off from this part of the plant as those from neurons in the animal brain. One root apex may not be able to do much. But instead of having just one root, most plants have millions of individual roots, each with a single radicle.

So, instead of a single powerful brain, Mancuso argues that plants have a million tiny computing structures that work together in a complex network, which he compares to the Internet. The strength of this evolutionary choice is that it allows a plant to survive even after losing 90% or more of its biomass.

Food for thought?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Thanks for these, very interesting and I am always open minded
Plants are amazing and I don't doubt they are 'intelligent' and able to react and adapt to their environment but it is highly speculative that they might be able to feel pain and suffer. I have to go with what we know and I aim to cause as little suffering as possible (I know this is never going to be perfect).

One thing can be said though, less plants have been harvested by eating them directly than if the energy had come via animals since livestock don't convert plants to edible energy efficiently.

edit on 13-1-2016 by Scouse100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=20251384]
If god didn't want us to eat his animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Or made them so tasty!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

Regarding plants being intelligent ... I would say that all science has proven is that nature itself is intelligent.
Therefore nature is a manifestation of intelligence
Animals are sentient and as such are concious of their own intelligence ... Plants are not

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

You didn't read the articles in the links I posted, did you?

Nature is intelligent? Sounds like you're a proponent of 'intelligent design'? How has science proved that nature is intelligent?

How do you know that plants are not sentient? you obviously didn't read the links I provided, because you haven't attempted to refute anything in them other than say" lalalala my fingers are in my eyes and my ears and my opinion is fact'...
edit on 13-1-2016 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: NautPsycho
Wrong. I NEVER flavor my meat....Ever....ruins its natural flavor. I rarely eat veggies and according to doctors I may be 43 but have the body and health of someone in their early 20's....Yeah....take that...

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: Son of Will
And eating meat is EASY to stop.

Killing and eating vegetables is much easier to stop!

It's one of the easiest, obviously-beneficial choices we can all make. If we stop spending money on it, the cycle will slow down, and that's less violence/cruelty on the hands of humans.

Very true, just look at the angry vegetarians, trying to control what other people do, and getting upset when they are ignored!

There's nothing crazy about this at all - it's actually SO rational, and SO simple, that most people expect it to be more complicated, or nuanced.

True, stopping eating vegetables is easy, rational and simple to do!

Of course Animals don't love their babies so it is all the same.

We dont eat otters.....Show me a pic of a cow and calf and all I think is yummy yummy meat and where is the grill

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

People who don’t eat meat are especially vulnerable to neurotransmitter imbalances because of the absence of meat protein, which provides all of the essential amino acids human bodies need. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that regulate many of our functions, including physical, cognitive, and mental performance, as well as our sleep cycle, weight, and emotional states.

Source

No, it's obvoius humans do not 'need' meat from the large number of healty vegetarians on the earth.

I don't know whether your quote can be backed up or not but assuming it's true this can be easily avoided by a well planned diet as all of the amino acids we need are available to us in plant form.

Large healthy vegan?....um....show me one...

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Son of Will

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: Son of Will

The monetary system is unethical...will you be throwing your money in the trash soon?

No. I need money for survival. So does everybody.

You don't need meat for survival. Nobody does.

There is zero comparison.

When will you silly vegans realize....WE ARENT GOING TO CHANGE FOR YOU! Please keep your odd and misguided morals to yourself.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: odinsway

Source

Large healthy vegan?....um....show me one...

Hahaha, I said "large number of healthy vegetarians", not "large healthy vegan". But if that's what you want to see then there are plenty of vegan sports people including boxers.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: crazyewok

I cannot eat bacon. Can't stand the taste or the smell. Sausage also. Happened overnite, several months ago, and no clue as to why. I love pork chops, porkloin, pork ribs, though. Nom...nom...nom...all things beef, chicken, lamb.

Why would a proud carnivore wake up one day agast at the smell and taste of deliciousness?

I too had a sudden aversion to pork sausage a few weeks ago when I got a sausage muffin. I have gotten those for many, many years and then a few weeks back the taste made me spit it out before I left the parking lot. Like chewing on the tail of a live pig with just some salt for flavor. Can never go back now..! bleck

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Nature is intelligent? Sounds like you're a proponent of 'intelligent design'?

You assumption is wrong

How do you know that plants are not sentient?

Because I grow organic plants and have studied them first hand.
A plant is imbued with intelligence but is not concious in the same way you or I are

edit on 14-1-2016 by artistpoet because: Typo

edit on 14-1-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: odinsway

Post not required
edit on 14-1-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: odinsway
If this doesn't show you how weird we are I'll eat my own leg

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Everything in this world eats something even if it's only plant life.

True Spirituallity is Gratitude, Kindness, and Love.

How is the animal prepared to be eaten with kindness or with torture and unkindness?

Are you thankful for the life given to sustain you whether animal or plant?

Judgment and condemnation lowers your energy, love and kindness and gratitude raises it.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Well said.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Animals were created for our use. They're weren't put here to be a visual treat. They were made for working, eating and wearing. Why do people think it is cruel to do so??? Besides, if animals weren't supposed to be eaten, why do they taste so good? If people want to Vegan out, that's cool. But it's wrong to bash those that like a good barbecue. Even God enjoys the sweet smell of animal flesh, cooking on an open fire. hehehehehe I laugh, but it's true.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30 >>

join