It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals Set To Repeal Spanking Law In Canada

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As I read this thread, it comes to me that the decision I made 30 years ago to not have children was probably one of the best I've made as it appears no matter how or why, the 'next' person always has better ideas on how to raise someone else's offspring.

There before the grace of God . . .

Just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Don't know if I agree or disagree with this, but one thing I have always wondered is, for those parents who use a paddle, belt, etc., why is it discipline when you hit a child, but in places where this is done to adults who "misbehave", it's barbaric?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Has someone played the Russell Peters video yet?
I was the same way with my kids when they got out of control. My house, my rules.... don't live by them you will get it if you're WAY out of line. "Don't like it? Call children's services. I guarantee you won't get the latitude that you get here." Screw the rules. My kids grew up out of jail and my oldest girl just gave birth to our first grandchild and he's 21.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy
Don't know if I agree or disagree with this, but one thing I have always wondered is, for those parents who use a paddle, belt, etc., why is it discipline when you hit a child, but in places where this is done to adults who "misbehave", it's barbaric?

That is barbaric. A parent should never use a weapon on their kids.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Not physically lashing out at a person who pisses you off, forces you to have to use the grey matter between your ears to remedy the situation instead.

Some people just simply don't have the patience for that sort of thing.

In the words of Pat Benatar: "Hell is for children"

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I myself never understood the whole concept of spanking, cause pain in someone you supposedly love?

I choose not to spank because I do not think that does anything but to teach that it is perfectly acceptable to hit when angry.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone
I myself never understood the whole concept of spanking, cause pain in someone you supposedly love?

Because it's easier to allow a year and a half old to put a fork in the outlet.

I choose not to spank because I do not think that does anything but to teach that it is perfectly acceptable to hit when angry.

Angry is the worst time to discipline. Do you have kids?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

I'm sorry you didn't know, but liberal policies are NOT up for critique or criticism. They are correct by virtue of the fact a liberal came up with them.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: theonenonlyone

Because it's easier to allow a year and a half old to put a fork in the outlet.

Angry is the worst time to discipline. Do you have kids?

Well if a year and half has the opportunity to do that, why spank them for your mistake for not watching them or child proofing home?

No kids but nephews and nieces and family has taken the no spanking route and are not out of control. Range from age 2 -17. Sure they have moments where it they act up or do something stupid.

We find talking and explaining to them why it is wrong, works best. There is punishment dished out but not physical, just make them realize there are consequences to actions. Increased chores, denial of toys, internet privileges (which is always monitored), game systems, loss of freedom (no going out or missing out on certain activities) and other ways that instill the knowledge of consequences. Learning process for both as time goes on.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: theonenonlyone

In other words you killed their spirit. Well done.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
I think hitting these little creatures you made, that love you and look up to you and want nothing more than the same in return, is lazy parenting.

You've obviously never raised redneck children. There's a difference between spanking a kid's ass when deserved and abusing a child, a HUGE difference. My parents, just as I have done with my own children, saved the swats for serious infractions. When my ass was tanned, I KNEW I'd done something pretty bad. My kids very rarely ever get their butt spanked, and I have never used a belt, but there have been a few "No Daddy, no!" dances performed while a rear end was warmed up.

Honestly, from my childhood, I recall the worst punishments always revolving around that damned pile of firewood that I had to move around the ranch. The spankings, while I remember only a few times, were more effective in cementing a wrong into my mind, however. For example, I remember that telling my mom "That's BS, I want to go swimming" when my friends were heading down to the irrigation pond and I hadn't finished my chores, resulted in my ass being spanked. I don't so much recall the spanking, but I never said "That's BS" to my mom again, I can guarantee you that. 90% of the things I did to warrant hard labor of moving 2 cords of firewood a hundred yards across the property have been long forgotten... in other words, I didn't learn much of a specific lesson beyond "be good" from those punishments, whereas the spankings ingrained a very precise "I best never do that again!" lesson into my skull.

All this other crap doesn't work with redneck children. Turn off the TV... OK, nothing worth watching anyway. Go to your room... Great! I'll use that time to tie flies, read comics, or play with my toys. Stand in the corner... Fantastic! Some solitude and time with only my thoughts is a God send. Threaten to take away some privilege... This works, but 99.9% of parents who use it are bluffing at least sometimes and God help those parents when the kids calls their bluff. For instance, threatening that we wouldn't go fishing as a kid would have been an instant fail because my Dad loves to fish as much as I do and wouldn't have allowed my bullcrap to interfere with that activity.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
All this other crap doesn't work with redneck children. Turn off the TV... OK, nothing worth watching anyway. Go to your room... Great! I'll use that time to tie flies, read comics, or play with my toys. Stand in the corner... Fantastic! Some solitude and time with only my thoughts is a God send. Threaten to take away some privilege... This works, but 99.9% of parents who use it are bluffing at least sometimes and God help those parents when the kids calls their bluff.

Never a bluff. Be as honest with your kids as you would be with anyone else. That's important. That way when he goes through drywall, and has to fix it himself, he knows why. Only took once.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: theonenonlyone

In other words you killed their spirit. Well done.

Not sure how you got that out of what was said. They do great in school, happy and have good friends.

We instill in them that having certain material items will never be a determinate of who are as a person and so far no whining and moaning about not having this and that because their friends do. Also never push a religion on them, if they ask about them we let them know what it is about and hold back our own biases because in the end it is up to them. Also, we all try to do things with them, doesn't work so well with teens

They are great kids and always happy, so I am unable to see where we killed their spirit.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Liberals only want to create, little liberals.

A good swift, well placed, directional correction, is a liberals, worst nightmare!
They demand obedience, through words and indoctrination sessions.
If youngsters can get right through pain association at an early age?
It makes it harder for the libs to use pain to get them wrong for thier uses.

I'll get heat for saying that. But I know at least some of you know what it means.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I had to laugh reading your post. It refreshed a few of my memories, the ghosts of "spankings past".

Children are very resilient. I have to be reminded of spanking situations, as I was, reading your post, but the cutting words spoken are never far from memory.
edit on 22-12-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: ipsedixit

I'm sorry you didn't know, but liberal policies are NOT up for critique or criticism. They are correct by virtue of the fact a liberal came up with them.

It's like a new religion in the press, but there are notes of criticism starting to creep in. It is too soon yet for me to judge the new federal government. Some of the right notes are being sounded by them, but I'm keeping my verbal powder dry, so to speak.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Note: I want to clarify something that I said earlier in the thread.

Because of my living situation "in a spiritual community" I have had a ringside seat to some of the parenting styles being advocated by the Liberal government. In both cases I have seen "new age" parents systematically drilling holes in their children's psyches.

The behavior I witnessed had nothing to do with spiritual teaching. It had nothing to do with the "agenda" of our meditation center, which is spelled out in its articles of incorporation. Even informally, there was no "community of ideas" regarding the upbringing of children.

The single parents in question, like everyone else who lived at the center, had spiritual aspirations, but with regard to their dealings with their children, they were strictly on their own.

Both of the children grew into financially successful adults. Both of them enjoy good relationships with the parents involved, to this day. Both of them had fun living with us. One of them, whose nose had been bloodied by Mom when he was 9 or 10 years old, still comes to the center and regularly enjoys social get togethers with his mother. The other one, when her mother became pregnant again, had to move out to a different location and her mother told me that she had cried for a couple of days over it. She was very young at the time, maybe four or five years old.

We loved, and still love, both of those children, as do their single parents.

The story of those relationships is complex and getting into the details of them is beyond the scope of this thread. I was simply noting what happens between single parents and children when spanking is taken out of the parenting toolbox. Verbally disciplining children can be done rationally, no doubt, given "world enough and time", but there are also spanking-like verbal short cuts that can be employed that are counter productive to any child's development, like the screaming harangue, for example, or the mischievous lie.

Parents can resort to lies and emotional mischief when they don't have the resources or integrity to face situations directly. The mask of a goody two shoes who would never lay a hand on their child, often conceals a very ugly face beneath it.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Please don't have kids. We've enough undisciplined little `special snowflakes` running around as it is.

When I was a kid, I got F&#%# up when I stepped out of line.

BUT! If you do decide to have kids and I pass YOU at the market and YOUR kids is acting like damned baboon, don't worry, I'll still offer you MY belt.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Spankings are ok in certain situations. If the child attempts to physically harm another person or animal then they should be punished physically. Outside of that other forms of discipline should work fine.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Child psychology shows that punishment of any kind, be it positive or negative, is never as effective as reinforcement. By that same token an authoritative parenting style is more effective than an authoritarian one. If you can't raise your cold without laying your hand on them maybe you aren't fit to have children.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join