It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals Set To Repeal Spanking Law In Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: nonspecific

I've also done this with my other children who were of a more mild temperament. I would argue that forcible confinement isn't really any better than a spanking.

That doesn't mean that I abused my children, or somehow did a worse job than anybody else did, because I chose to slap my 13 year old for disrespecting his father among other things. And when I say slap, I don't mean I left a mark on the kid, I mean I shocked the hell out of him with a swift slap across the head and a severe grounding.

I would never tell parents who to raise their children outside of them actually harming them be it physical or emotional. We did neither of those things to our children, they've grown up quite wonderfully, I still have 2 at home but only for a few more years really.

I just think the government should be very careful about what they consider to be proper parenting.

To be honest I have been very lucky with my son as he is very well behaved, I do not think I have had to tell him off for anything other than talking constantly for about 3 years now.

His half brother was a different story and although I never did there were times when I really could have smacked him round the back of the head!

In the UK it is demed allowable as long as it is not hard enough to leave a mark, do that and it is illigal.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Part of the reasoning of the authorities contemplating changing the spanking law is that we don't allow people to strike one another in Canada. However that is not really true. We do allow people to strike one another in certain contexts, sports, for example. It is the context that determines the appropriateness of the action of striking people.

We are allowed to thump people on the back or give them the Heimlich maneuver if they are choking on something.

The current spanking law allows parents to physically discipline their children within certain defined parameters. I don't think this law should be changed.

As far as striking a partner is concerned, the law covers issues like assault. Ideally disputes should be handled without resort to force, but in practical terms, particularly with willful children many parents find this impossible to do.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

Part of the reasoning of the authorities contemplating changing the spanking law is that we don't allow people to strike one another in Canada. However that is not really true. We do allow people to strike one another in certain contexts, sports, for example. It is the context that determines the appropriateness of the action of striking people.

We are allowed to thump people on the back or give them the Heimlich maneuver if they are choking on something.

The current spanking law allows parents to physically discipline their children within certain defined parameters. I don't think this law should be changed.

As far as striking a partner is concerned, the law covers issues like assault. Ideally disputes should be handled without resort to force, but in practical terms, particularly with willful children many parents find this impossible to do.

I understand your view on this but does it not seem a little odd that it is legal to hit a child but not an adult?

What is the law regarding hitting a pet dog? is that permissable by your law?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I think what you are saying is very sensible. Standardizing behavior to the extent that the government wants to standardize it implies a "standard parent" and a "standard child". This kind of thinking comes out of the Ivory Tower, not real life.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit
I never struck my child even once in his life, he's an 18 yr old 6'2" competitive rugby playing young man now who I wouldn't want hitting me lol

Different parents different tactics I guess, but where does the law draw the line, switches, canes, paddles, bruises?
Personally I couldn't give a toss what the law is, I don't hit children or anyone else unless it is self defence.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I never struck my child even once in his life, he's an 18 yr old 6'2" competitive rugby playing young man now who I wouldn't want hitting me lol

Different parents different tactics I guess, but where does the law draw the line, switches, canes, paddles, bruises?
Personally I couldn't give a toss what the law is, I don't hit children or anyone else unless it is self defence.

The first time my old man ever hit me I was 17, drunk and threatened to hit him so he headbutted me through a glass door.

On reflection I cannot really blame him but he never hit me as a child.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I understand your view on this but does it not seem a little odd that it is legal to hit a child but not an adult?

It is legal to hit an adult on the sports field. It is legal to hit an adult to draw their attention to an oncoming car. It is legal to hit an adult to warn them of any kind of danger or surprise. Of course the adult might still press charges against you, but the charges would likely be thrown out of court.

What is the law regarding hitting a pet dog? is that permissable by your law?

I don't know what the laws are with regard to pets. What do pet parents do, nip their offspring? We used to use a rolled newspaper on our pet. We were told the noise of the paper was worse to the animal than the feeling of the blow.

Maybe parents should be allowed to hit children with a rolled newspaper when they won't listen to reason.

I am not in favor of child abuse. I don't think that physical punishment should be going on past the age of 12, as the law currently stipulates. At that point the law can deal with the misbehaving parent or the law can deal with the misbehaving child.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: superman2012

Have you ever tried to reason with a 4 year old?

OR a 13 year old who thinks it's okay to call his father a little bitch? That's the sort of thing that deserves a swift slap because that's what happens to you in public when you do that crap.

~Tenth

Yes to the first and my 9, 14, and 16 year old would never dare disrespect me like that.

I guess I should have qualified my post with "I believe", I couldn't think about hitting or hurting my creation.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I dont have kids so only going to comment on the DI aspect of your statement.

I entered the military 18 years ago, discipline has gone down the drain since I got in... and they did away with physical attitude adjustments before I got to basic.

Guys I've talked with at the VA, and the Legion also believe discipline is in the toilet.. just like in parenting some people will not respond to talks, grounding etc... when you run through your discipline tool kit the last step should be physical.

The Govt should not take away that part of the tool kit, if you must define what is reasonable... outlaw it no way.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I do not think that anyone who disciplines there child with reasonable force could be accused of child abuse.

As I said it just seems odd that you are allowed to hit children up to the age of 12 and then it becomes assault for the rest of there life.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific physical punishment was doled out to me and my siblings frequently in my childhood, probably explains why I have never hit children.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

a reply to: nonspecific physical punishment was doled out to me and my siblings frequently in my childhood, probably explains why I have never hit children.

Not just that. It's also that you can remember what it was like and the fear that was put into you by your parent(s) and your unwillingness to put your own child through that. I'm the same.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

As I said it just seems odd that you are allowed to hit children up to the age of 12 and then it becomes assault for the rest of there life.

Young children are a special category. They are not operating with a full deck.

Adults who are not operating with a full deck and who misbehave are restrained forcibly. Forcible restraint against a normal adult is a criminal offense.

The current law on spanking is quite specific about what is allowed. It is not a license to assault children or to damage them physically.

It could be argued that spanking a child or giving them a swat on the butt is much less dangerous than physically restraining them, if restraining them is not done properly.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

Young children are a special category. They are not operating with a full deck.

Adults who are not operating with a full deck and who misbehave are restrained forcibly. Forcible restraint against a normal adult is a criminal offense.

The current law on spanking is quite specific about what is allowed. It is not a license to assault children or to damage them physically.

It could be argued that spanking a child or giving them a swat on the butt is much less dangerous than physically restraining them, if restraining them is not done properly.

It could also be argued that hitting a child who misbehaves teaches them that it acceptable to hit people.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

It is a question of context. In our society it is not only acceptable to hit people but in certain contexts one is permitted to kill them.

I think the current Canadian law on spanking is practical and acceptable. If a child's only learning resource were the spankings it received, then yes, the wrong message might be sent, but that is not the real situation children in Canada are in.

If a parent can raise a child successfully without spanking, that's great. Not all parents are sufficiently patient or rational or resourceful to do that. Spankings carried out within the bounds prescribed by the current law are not significantly harmful in my opinion, and should be permitted.
edit on 22-12-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The first time my old man ever hit me I was 17, drunk and threatened to hit him so he headbutted me through a glass door.

At least he's the one that hit you. that is was a good lesson, don't get drunk and mouth off to another man, bad things will happen.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

At least he's the one that hit you. that is was a good lesson, don't get drunk and mouth off to another man, bad things will happen.

It was a valuable life lesson I will admit.

One that has been valuable over the years.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
For one, I think they should stay the hell out of people's business, as long as nobody is getting harmed. Also, and this is from someone who got spanked a lot because of bad behavior, I think it's a bad idea to ban spanking. Seriously, that's how you get the self entitled assholes wreaking havoc like we have now.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
For one, I think they should stay the hell out of people's business, as long as nobody is getting harmed. Also, and this is from someone who got spanked a lot because of bad behavior, I think it's a bad idea to ban spanking. Seriously, that's how you get the self entitled assholes wreaking havoc like we have now.

It can go either way. Not spanking does not equal self entitlement. How you raise your children along with the values you teach them go a lot farther than hitting them. How can anyone get mad at a kid for hitting another kid in anger when parents do the same!? lol I never understood that.

My kids don't get hit, they are not self entitled, nor are they assholes.

Lazy parenting causes those issues. Not being a part of your kids life causes those issues. Hitting isn't the answer.

Although, I do agree that government needs to stay the hell out of the home.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's what I was thinking, too.

"busy parents don't have time to be good at it?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join