It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Religious Universities Just Get a License to Discriminate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Dante Alighieri wrote a book in the 14th century about the nine circles of hell, the teachings were meant to teach people to understand that we are gifted with a sense of making a right decision.. The nine circle of hell were there to teach a way of higher learning or being a human.

If you can teach what it means to be human, you dont need any faith.

36 religiously-affiliated institutions of higher learning have applied for the exemptions, 27 of which have been granted under a little used provision of Title IX that allows religiously controlled educational institutions to apply for exemptions from provisions “not consistent with the religious tenets” of the organization.

link

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Anansi

Yep, they can believe anything they want, within their institution, society, club, whatever. As soon as they come out declaring this is the way everyone else has to live, then they are crossing that line of ones rights end where another's begin.

Within their club house its okay because people join it freely.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This isn't a new thing but there has been a huge rise in universities applying for exemption.

There is already a thread on this here: Should government publish info on schools allowed to discriminate against LGBT students

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Ah! Beat me to it on both aspects of your comment.

@ OP - no they didn't "just get" it. They have had the right to apply for a Title IX exemption for about 40 years now. Since the overwhelming majority of schools on that list, even at a quick glance it's rather obvious, are religious and private institutions, I'm honestly surprised people are surprised.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Sadly it is either they do that or risk having one or two students come onto campus and force them to go against their beliefs to enforce their notions of equality.

You may find it ugly that people believe counter to what you want them to, but this way at least, they can openly hold to their beliefs without being legally forced to go counter to it.

We can't just have tolerance now. Everyone has to be forced to believe one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

So how many schools applied ?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Did you even read the article you cited?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I know the number but since its been there for 40 years, more schools must have applied and been rejected

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Your source says "little used" exemption, so evidently not. With the bloom over the last few years in regards to the LBGT movement, I think it's fair to presume there's been an uptick.

And for more reading, I would suggest the link below. It explains the actual requirements for obtaining the exemption.

title-ix.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sadly it is either they do that or risk having one or two students come onto campus and force them to go against their beliefs to enforce their notions of equality.

Pretty sad that some people need to learn that everyone is a human being and is equal to each other. We've come a long way for that crap.

And besides how does it goes against their belief when a gay student wants to attend and study like a human being?

Those people are silly but I guess since those institutions are religious there's not much we can do.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Title IX anti-discrimination provisions “to the extent that they prohibit discrimination on the basis of marital status, sex outside of marriage, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, or abortion.”

I am pretty sure they will give a pass on "sex outside of marriage" in most cases or their institution will be pretty much empty. I will be surprised if they aren't selective on which tenets they adhere to. Oh well, have at it.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Don't all religion's discriminate in someway or another?

I imagine, if you can teach what it is to be human, or what it means to be human, there really would be no need for organized religious practices.
edit on 20-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
if you don`t agree with what a particular religion teaches in their schools then don`t go to their school,there are plenty of other schools that you can go to.

just because a school or organization doesn`t cater to everyone doesn`t mean that they are discriminatory. for example is the NAACP discriminatory because they only work for the advancement of colored people?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Separation of Church and State goes both ways. The State isn't supposed to interfere with religious bodies and they aren't supposed to interfere with the State.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Separation of Church and State goes both ways. The State isn't supposed to interfere with religious bodies and they aren't supposed to interfere with the State.

And that's the tricky part.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
To me this piece shows once again the appalling ignorance of those who style themselves journalists. This waiver has been in place and used by religious and private colleges for four decades yet her question would make it appear that this is some devious plot to chase transgender people from campuses across the nation.

The Column notes that total enrollment at the affected schools is 80,000 students and that the institutions received $130 million in federal research grants and student aid last year.

Why is she worried about 80k students going to colleges that agree with their belief systems? Why should they not be afforded the right assured them under the First Amendment to practice their religion---even in an educational setting?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah but it shouldn't be.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
To me this piece shows once again the appalling ignorance of those who style themselves journalists. This waiver has been in place and used by religious and private colleges for four decades yet her question would make it appear that this is some devious plot to chase transgender people from campuses across the nation.

The Column notes that total enrollment at the affected schools is 80,000 students and that the institutions received $130 million in federal research grants and student aid last year.

Why is she worried about 80k students going to colleges that agree with their belief systems? Why should they not be afforded the right assured them under the First Amendment to practice their religion---even in an educational setting?

Where do Federal Funds come from?

Taxes?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
if you don`t agree with what a particular religion teaches in their schools then don`t go to their school,there are plenty of other schools that you can go to.

just because a school or organization doesn`t cater to everyone doesn`t mean that they are discriminatory. for example is the NAACP discriminatory because they only work for the advancement of colored people?

Yes, the NAACP is discriminatory.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join