It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time to fight Back- How To Identify A Troll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
There is an ever growing problem. A problem that needs to be addressed because certain people do NOT have your best interest at heart. There are currently government agents, dressing as trolls, hell bent on derailing people, discrediting them, and attempting character assassination. They do this in order to break YOUR WILL and SPIRIT.

What is the Ultimate Goal of the Troll?

To win the argument through any means necessary especially through frustration and reaction. In other words, if you get angry or mad, you lose. It does not matter if you are being truthful, to the troll, you are a juicy piece of meat waiting to be devoured. I know this, because I used to troll in 4chan and in another forum site where I used to have over 50,000 followers to do my bidding. Yes once upon a time, this lonely poster possessed POWER. The power to control a mass, and move them to do my bidding back then this earned me the title in their eyes as "legendary." I was witty, I was quick in response and had no weaknesses.

Of course, back then I let this crap get to my head. But wouldn't anyone with just a little power? My ego was raised into new heights, I even raided with my 50k followers other websites. I was virtually unstoppable, especially when masking my IP address. I had no mercy towards anyone, I was an extreme sociopath, and I utterly hated the world. This was a time where I was in my darkest period of my life, (though one would argue that, considering we all go through more than one dark periods.) However, I was young and foolish, this was back in 2005-2008 when I did these terrible deeds.

What made them so terrible?

Well, if a troll faces off against someone who is depressive, consequences will follow. And this is my guilt, I preyed on the weak. Though eventually I began preying on other trolls, mostly because I saw them as a challenge to be conquered. I was out of control. But this is what happens when one loses touch with morality. We do evil things when morals and ethics are not an issue. And this I learned through observation and studies in psychology.

What lead me to change my ways?

A mirror was reflected upon me. I decided to take on a pupil. I saw this girl, who was being bullied constantly. I decided to take this girl under my wing. I had some knowledge in psychology back then, and I used it to manipulate people. I did not care, I was victimized in the past, and I saw it more as "justice" against the world I hated. Why? Because people did not care, so I adopted the philosophy, if they don't care, then why should I care? And this is the same with the great majority of trolls in general, they aren't hateful because they are douche-bags. They are hateful because they learned to hate through society.

You see, you create a villain, when you create a victim. If the victim’s wounds are not addressed, this victim, will eventually start doing what was previously done to them. Right here, right now, this alone shows what is wrong with society. And you see this all the time!

Let’s take an example, the columbine shootings. If anyone still remembers that event, these two kids, were bullied and they got tired of it. The bullies are just as much to blame as the villain. Because it was the bully that created the villain within these two kids. Yet, people focus more on the killings rather than addressing the real problem. Which is the bullying itself. If you do not address the root cause of the problem then nothing will change. But lets blame gun’s instead of looking at ourselves, we are all innocent right?

We saw what happens when push comes to shove during the case of Casey and his bully. Anyone remembers this scene that was worldwide? It was all over the news when it happened.

I was exactly like Casey in high school. I was fat, I got picked on, my money stolen, slapped in the face, harassed, followed, humiliated.
The bully that did this to me, had two brothers who were known killers. Drug dealers in other words, who would engage violence against other drug dealers at the time. So people were naturally afraid of this bully, I was not alone. However, when the last drop fell, I ended up doing exactly what Casey did. I did not like fights, and normally I just wanted to be left ALONE. But no, the bullies kept on coming, over and over again, until I snapped and soon after, I blacked out. Literally I blacked out. The next thing I knew, I was on top of this kid, beating him senseless. All My rage and wrath was unleashed from all the constant bullying. i ALMOST KILLED HIM! And this was within my psyche for a long time. I became afraid of myself and what I was capable of. I did not know I had this much strength in me. It seemed an unnatural strength. But it was enough to overpower my "bully".

His brothers actually ended up visiting me. I expected something else, given the reputation. However, they ended up thanking me for teaching his brother a lesson. It turns out, they did not want their bro to follow in their footsteps. So they thanked me for what happened. However, this was not enough to divert that kid from that path. Years later he was killed because he got involved in gang wars. A sad ending for him. He took the incorrect path of bullying and in the end his own attitude was the end of him. Back when I heard about the news that he was killed during a shootout. I did feel bad, but it can't be helped if people choose to do wrong and suffer the consequences.

Casey Video

Now, back to the story, what made me change my ways? When I took the girl under my wing, I taught her what I knew and how to manipulate minds. This girl learned very quickly, and soon after she began fending for herself and no longer cried or fell victim to the other bullies.

But soon after she had her vengeance, she saw me as the ultimate goal to be conquered. She went after me and mutual friends. Me, the one that taught her, of all people. Needless to say, I created a monster with her. She had zero compassion and while observing her, I was observing how I was acting. I saw the mirror reflection of myself in her, and I did not like it one bit. I did not like what I had become.

I thought, by giving her knowledge, she would use it mostly to defend herself. But instead, she used it as offense. She ended up destroying many people's lives. Including those who were utterly depressed and genuinely seeking help. God knows if they ended up committing suicide. I began to see, the consequences of my own actions.

The possibility of blood on my hands, even if it’s indirectly, did not sit well with me. After all, I was still a victim of bullying, and somewhere deep in me, I still had compassion. I guess this girl, helped me see my own errors. I warned her not to come after me, but she did. Because I had more advanced knowledge on the mind, I knew exactly where to hurt her. She left me no choice, and I ended up exposing her for who she really was.

Continued next post...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

Soon after, many others fell on her. Especially her victims. I do not know what happened to her after, but I had walked away. Back then I co-owned an anon forum, that is how I ended up getting over 50k followers. The guilt became too much, and i tried to change the theme of the forum. I wanted to put a stop to trolling. This did not go well for me. People lost respect for me because I became "soft” and once they saw this opening, they ended up turning against me. I ended up stepping down as co-owner. I did not want to do this anymore. So i walked away from it all.

A marketer would call me insane, for basically throwing away a 50k email list. I did not care, my morals were back, and that was all that mattered at the time. And this became a spiritual path.

What I need you ATS, to realize, is the great consequences of the troll. If you have not taken the troll seriously up till now, you better think again. And I’m addressing moderators on this subject, because what trolls do, is ultimately YOUR responsibility. As a former co-owner of a forum, it is the websites responsibility to have a code of conduct against trollish actions, why I write this thread, while throwing myself in the “mudd” is because I need you all to realize how dangerous a troll really is.

Not only, will the troll endanger lives of people who are sensitive, but they care not for truth, or anything that is constructive. They only have one goal in mind, search and destroy. You cannot reason with the troll. The troll is narcissistic, and has no logic, only randomness, misinformation plus half-truths. It is the half-truth’s that baits you into REACTION.

This is the reason why I see the trolls on ATS as a shadow from my very own past. You could say, when I argue against a troll, I am arguing against my very own karma. I realize this, and now I am going through the same situation as my victims went through. Karma is a *snip*, but a very good teacher if one observes life’s occurrences as lessons to better oneself. I made it my goal, to be a better person, and help teach people the essence of morality. In short, most of my posts are actually anti bullying, because today, I do care about people’s feelings as if they were my own. This too is part of my spiritual path and the sole reason why, I applied the Golden rule, natural Law.

But I am human still, and these days on ats, I get baited time and time again into reaction. I should know better, but because I want information to get through to people, im constantly fending off against trolls. My last thread was the final straw. It was sabotaged and now it’s time to fight back by exposing these sociopaths In a generalized form (Without naming names).

Note: You can also do some research on how to identify trolls, the more information you know, the easier it is to spot a troll. You may actually find similar topics like this one, in greater detail.

Continued next post...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

How to identify the troll

1. You will notice a pattern within their speech. Observe their post patterns in their history. Do they look similar in speech? Have they resorted to the same tactics against other members of the forums? As a moderator, you need to identify these tactics and realize that the person does not have ATS best interest at heart. This goes especially for Government paid trolls. These trolls are in it for the money and to derail.
2. They will dismiss anything and everything you have to say, even if you speak truth
3. They will dismiss facts
4. They will discredit you by calling you names like crazy, a nut, or some other label. They use labels to destroy your persona and your spirit. Remember, the purpose of the troll is to search and destroy.
5. They have subtle, or subliminal ways to embed messages in your mind. They do this through speech and words that trigger emotions. The troll is actually a psychological expert in manipulation. Yes, you need to understand how the human mind works in order to be an effective troll. So expect a psychology background. (I am an example of this. However, whether you believe me or not, I did turn away from this, otherwise, I would not expose myself through a personal history. I expose myself, for two reasons:

A. I have a debt to pay. (Redemption path yada yada)
B. To use me (or my story) as an example to identify others.

6. They rarely add anything of value. The comments they use is mostly disinformation, when trolls respond to a community discussion, they don’t add anything meaningful to the discussion. Instead, they joke, berate, and insult. Like “cool story bro”, which are very common TROLL choice of words. If you ever see this, KNOW automatically, that you are talking to a troll. A real decent person will NOT resort to insults, berate, joke on a serious topic, nor use words like “lol” or “cool story bro”, or “umad?” These words were actually brought forth by 14 year olds who act tough within 4chan. To see a grown adult, who wishes to be looked upon in a respectful manner use these words, says a lot about them and their goals. I do not take these people seriously, and I know full well, to respond to the troll, is actually to feed them attention.

7. They are genuinely attention seeking *snip*ores.

8. They will attack anyone and any topic that does not meet their agenda. (Government paid trolls)

9. They will tend to favor a certain specific agenda subliminally, (which is why they attack others who do not engage in their goals.) and try and get you to join them.

10. They will come out and attack you directly, if you try to expose them in general. (Watch how they come and attack me, without reading this post entirely.)

11. They will put words in your mouth, things you did not say, to make it look like you said it and focus on what you did not say, and gain followers and support as they do. It is important to verify, if the original poster actually spoke such things BEFORE falling for the lies of the troll. Remember, the purpose is to search and destroy all credibility. This is called character assassination. Once the character is assassinated, the character will be helpless to speak anything else. He is therefor, silenced. (Are you understanding the bigger picture? To those with eyes that see.)

12. If you see someone get angry and defensive, observe the conversation closely, while applying your knowledge on how to identify the troll. The person getting angry and frustrated, may actually be victimized by a troll.

13. Some trolls may guise themselves as a productive member in the ATS community. These are harder to find, and are masters of stealth and psychology. (And yes, I am aware, that my background in psychology raises eyebrows, however, I did admit to me being a troll in my past and this is out in the open. However, even someone such as myself who expose them now, can be viewed in a similar fashion as hackers. Ever heard of hackers who once hacked thousands of computers, got arrested, but then you see them working for the government? It is because those hackers, are actually something of value to the government. They end up developing anti viruses’ and defense systems by identifying loopholes and closing them. Some hackers turn away from a life of crime into a life of serving others. The same could be said in my case, as a former troll. I have knowledge on how to identify them and im doing so now, so that all of you, can identify the trolls.
14. They sometimes don’t even read the posts, and when they post they post on a subject entirely different than the one you may have originally posted. This is the classic derail of threads.
15. If they read the posts, they will look for anything to turn the post against you, yes even small mistakes. God forbid, we make mistakes as a human being. But usually that small mistake is enough to fully discredit a person. They are experts in this field and they know how to hurt, get you to react, or even get you banned from the forums. (This is when the truly win and they move on to their next victim. Many good people on ATS over the years have fallen victim to the troll tactics on getting the user banned by baiting them into reaction and thus, breaking TOS of ATS. I miss some of those posters today, they were genuinely good people. And im talking about hundreds of bans that have gone past over the years that were in fact victims of troll tactics. Search and destroy is the motto, and they target specific members. Watch out for this within any forum, or online social activity.

In a sense, im giving you a weapon to defend yourself. However, what you do with this knowledge, is YOUR responsibility. Everything in life has consequences. If you do good, you may have good results. But if you do wrong, expect retaliation as the norm. You are victimizing people if you troll, and that will get you closer into losing touch with who you really are. DON’T BUY IT. It is not worth it. Trust me, the guilt and inner pain is not worth revenge. Take the moral high ground, and be the better person. Do not become what you hate. The biggest mistake you could make, is becoming like the thing you dislike the most. It does not sit pretty within you does it? To betray your values, your morals, and ethics, you betray yourself in the end, and this is the truth. )

These are just some of the ways to identify them, there are more ways, but I simply added the basics for you to start with. Do not get discouraged by them, while I admit that I have fallen victim to troll tactics here on Ats, it burns wholeheartedly to see my own past reflection against me. But perhaps this pushed me towards finally writing this long awaited thread in exposing them. Yes, the purpose of this thread is to put an end to trolls on ATS by educating people on how to become aware of them. And they will not like it one bit. So as usual, I expect retaliation from them. You cannot reason with them, and it’s a war of words you will not win if you engage in a verbal fight against a troll. The troll is emotionless, and will seek reaction of any form. This also makes them feel Superior as the enjoy “beating” people into submission.

Continued...
edit on th2015000000Sundayth000000Sun, 20 Dec 2015 09:13:35 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoSun, 20 Dec 2015 09:13:35 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Trolls are actually victims themselves, what usually drives them is their pain and suffering to which they do not want to address. So they do what they can to disharmonize everyone else, because they themselves are within disharmony within themselves. However, abusing other people is wrong. No matter how you look upon it.

Can any reasonable person, NOT agree with everything I just said? If there is a disagreement, then know, that there is a troll in the mists.

I hope, I contributed, not as a member of ats, but rather, as a member of the human race, with dignity, morals, and ethics intact. I changed my ways, because I do believe in world where we can all live in peace. Perhaps it is a naïve dream of mine. But ultimately, I just want people to *Snip*ing get along!

The years is 2015, I think it is time for humanity to evolve past the ignorance of hurting others. At times I catch myself wondering, if there is any hope left. But those that speak out against bullying in general, I have great respect for you as a person. Most likely you were bullied yourself, but chose a different path than I did when I was in my dark period. In this sense, I will say this. You are far stronger than I was. I fell into that void, I made it out, but barely. Once you lose your morals, it is extremely difficult to get back. You become, what some would call, a lost soul.

End of Topic

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think you are taking yourself, and the situation a little too seriously.
Sorry.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

10. They will come out and attack you directly, if you try to expose them in general. (Watch how they come and attack me, without reading this post entirely.)

You nailed it and it didn't take very long!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
I think you are taking yourself, and the situation a little too seriously.
Sorry.

Words hurt, more than bullets. I take it seriously because it is an extremely serious situation. Trolls are Hazards similar to viruses.

But go speak those same words, to this victims family. I dare ya, There are thousands of cases similar to this one, growing by the day.

Jessica-Laney-1 6-committed-suicide-internet-trolls-taunted-told-kill-herself

Can you kill yourself already?' The vile online messages from internet trolls 'that led girl, 16, to hang herself'

Jessica Laney found hanged at her home in Hudson, Florida on Sunday
Friends say she suffered constant abuse from online bullies and 'was pushed to the point where she couldn't handle it anymore'
In a haunting post, Jessica wrote about suicide last month and told her friends: 'I promise it will get better. Nothing's worth it'
Friends now calling for the site, Ask.fm, to be closed down

Edit: I spoke what I needed to say, I leave the rest up to ATS.
edit on th2015000000Sundayth000000Sun, 20 Dec 2015 09:27:15 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoSun, 20 Dec 2015 09:27:15 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

man I tried getting through that video but the narrator is a little emotional and hard to put up with. he sounds whiny. and like a natural easy target for trolling.

OP I appreciate your thread. I've definitely experienced the govt. trolls thing before over posts I've made.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I got accused of trolling on a thread, when I asked a genuine question. Yes, it was ignorant of me to not know who Alex Jones was, but I am not an American, and haven't really joined ATS for the conspiracy, my main motivation was the pet forum.

So although I appreciate your efforts for us to be aware of trolls, what is wrong with a sarcastic, ironic, witty, pithy comment towards someone you may find ridiculous in opinion?

Either stick by your guns and give a clear argument, and choose to respond or not.

I think creating hyper sensitivity around the issue could make things worse, and posters suspicious of anyone who cracks a joke or belittles a statement they deem ridiculous.

We are a community, we should all respect one another's views, but ultimately aren't we here to have a little discussion and fun?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
People are agreeing with me though.
It's not just me thinking it.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It's really simple......If you don't want to fall " victim" to a "Troll" as you call them.........Shut down that computer, go outside and talk a nice walk. It's the internet & a conspiracy theory site, trolls live here if you didn't realize that fact. I agree with other poster...you take it all way to serious.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I have read several of your threads and think that you are a valuable contributor to ATS. I also think there has been far too much bickering, as opposed to civil debate, lately. (I'm as guilty as any one) There is, however, too much stifling of members posts already. I would wager that you have had posts quashed do to you being anti-Zionist, pro Christian or some other position that is not in vogue right now. I guess what I'm saying is that I would rather deal with troll behavior than have posts censored. We are, for the most part, grown-ups, and this isn't 4chan.

See Deathslayer's post from 619 am today for a typical example of civil debate being quashed do to content as opposed to terms of use violation.
edit on 20-12-2015 by JohnthePhilistine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
When you say you taught a girl, and she "went after you" what do mean? Like, physically? Sexually? Yes believe it or not this happens.

Also, I've noticed people trading barbs for the heck of it which I consider something else.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

That's a very long post to say the simplest of solutions.

"Don't feed the trolls."

Yet, for some reason, people always feed them. It's like, they don't want to stop them.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Here's an example: the first thing that came to mind was, "why'd you teach a girl?" And my thoughts went way downhill. I admit I tend to joke and have a habit of coming across like an ass. I crave action and still wonder what about you might be naive, or easily hurt. Not to exploit, but wondering why, well, you taught this person or if its still all the same to you. I think people might be telling you to tuff up.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Yawn, did you need to so many posts to make a simple point?
I imagine you regard me as a troll now as well lol, ah well whatever.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Oh this is completely understandable and you do bring good points. I am also aware of these accusations, however, Im focusing mostly towards those who have the habit on character assassination. I see no compassion within their words aswell, (another way of spotting them, when they are emotionless.)

I can be a tad bit too emotional though, and yes there is such thing as being over emotional, especially on a subject im sensitive on. It is sensitive because it brings back the memory of past pains with regards to bullying in general. The troll is simply another bully.

I have to take it seriously, because there are real, and serious consequences if the problem is ignored. (as was the case of the 16 year old girl.)

To walk away and turn the other cheek... What will that solve? All it will do if we don't speak up is worsen the problem. yes we area community, and one that should respect certain boundaries, but even ridiculing people and putting them to shame, even if they are wrong, is not the way to correct someone, and neither is character assassination. (The troll however is the exception, because they cannot be reasoned with, since their intention from the start is to derail.)

Aside from that, I read a thread by one of ATS owners, and they are against character assassination. (was looking for that thread, where this point of view was expressed. I know it was titled "I am pissed". Where this view was expressed.

On the topic of this forum only being a conspiracy theory site. I have huge doubts, that is the direction ATS owners are going. ATS at the moment is becoming a powerful media outlet.

It is no longer "just a conspiracy theory site". I cannot speak for the owners, perhaps they can clarify this better than I can, I am only judging from the TOS, and the threads they posted with regards to code of conducts, and the direction they want to take ATS to.

I respect their views because they have the right things in mind.

Thanks for not biting my head off. I was expecting my head to roll... several times over when I wrote this thread.

I truly appreciate that, but i cannot walk away from a problem. That is just not my style.
)

edit on th2015000000Sundayth000000Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:25:11 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoSun, 20 Dec 2015 10:25:11 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You made a lot of good points. On the net I think the best way to disarm a troll is to ignore them.

Additionally, I think the Mods of ATS do a great job of managing them when it gets to be soooo annoying and OT.

A Bully in real life is a different animal. Kids need to report those young bullies to adults to deal with as they have problems at home or other emotional problems that need to be addressed.

But thanks for telling your story. I thought it was interesting, and happy to hear you've grown up.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Maybe I don't particularly notice, as I tend to stay clear of the heavy, heavy subjects.

I also do tend to take people's negative comments personally same, as positive ones.

I was bullied at school and I ignored them, and they left me alone. My sister on the other hand, also bullied, would bite, and they would keep bullying her as they knew they could rile her into a reaction.

Also aren't we in danger of creating an 'us & them' suspicion which is never very productive on a healthy debate?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join