It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time to fight Back- How To Identify A Troll

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: SoulSurfer

Thanks again.
Also, I see you're relatively new on ATS. Glad you're here. Please feel free to step in whenever you see one of us being unfairly set upon by trolls.

"Gosh, pop, WHO was that masked man?"
"Why THAT, son, was 'Soul Surfer'!"
"Jeepers."

I'm not neceserily new, I am actually very old on these forums. I deleted my first account, Got banned on my second. (Lets just say, I got drunk one night during heavy depression and wallowing in my sorrow, and decided to rant, in a way that got me banned. I also sorta... said that i felt like ending my life. I was drunk and depressed (I couldnt get to see my GF who lived in Russia, was a hard time for me, while that was not an excuse, I still did wrong with that. That post wasn't exclusive to ATS alone, I posted that also for my irl friends. So i ended up alienating my friends aswell.

I think some mods may remember me now, but I am not the same person I was back then. I never really left, i did make an account after, but lost my password to it. I sorta just kept ATS as bookmark, treating it as my news source to keep up to date with events around the world.

But mostly observed and kept away from commenting for almost a year after that. I used to write short stories for short story contests here. ATS was sorta like a second home to me, and even though I got banned, I never held a grudge. I accepted responsibility for my actions. Hence why I want to comply with tos this time around.

Don't wanna get banned again, though I've had a few warnings already while fending off certain.. attacks from people. *sighs*.

Im still human after all.

Beezer is my favorite poster of all time here, hehe followed by slayer. (sorry for picking favs)
edit on th2015000000Sundayth000000Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:56:50 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoSun, 20 Dec 2015 12:56:50 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thank you for your perspective. For exposing the raw face of this large phalanx of manipulators. They are not only here, on the internet but everywhere advantage can be made over trusting souls.

While your post is comprehensive I think you cut short the monster behind it. You mention government trolls. Oh yes there are but trolling goes beyond government agents.

There are also corporate trolls. Trolls whose only job is to promote the status quo. The Corporate Status Quo. Those who constantly promote business as usual. I would venture, with no proof what so ever, that these trolls outnumber government trolls

I also highly suspect that we are also inundated with psychological studies. That some trolls are in chat rooms and forums presenting social and cultural conundrums and then studying the nature of responses to further their theories. Hell, I can easily see a university class that tells students to do this simply on a personal study agenda. 'Go and join a group and set up a psychological experiment and then evaluate the outcomes, and that would be the final exam.

So I do not agree with others here that you take all of this too seriously. I think you are right, that the internet can be an all to damaging tool and a danger to many many people do to the heartless people behind the masks and anonymity the internet provides.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well, welcome home...and it's good to hear how much you've learned and grown.

PS. You're right on the money about BEEZZER! I wish he'd come back home, too.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I liked your OP SoulSurfer. You offer an insight into the troll mind.

Edit: I have removed the remainder of my post as you advised.

edit on 20-12-2015 by deliberator because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You are correct, sorry for not pointing that part out. To be honest with you, though. I was simply hoping to spark interest so people could eventually find that for themselves. But that, my friend, is a really deep topic, and a very long one, that I don't wish to get into right now.

And I think we both know why. I am not gonna lie, I am scared *snip*less with that awareness.

Forgive the following allegorical attempt to express how I feel , but it feels more like this scene with Jon Snow and the king of the dead.

This whole situation actually feels that ^ hopeless, and its a living nightmare for those of us who are awake.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: deliberator

I will not do that. It is not my place to do so. It is against TOS, I highly suggest you edit that post before a mods sees it.

But I did give you the tools to identify them.

Remember, the wise move is, not to engage them, but to become aware of them and catch them in the act. Engaging them is ineffective, they will simply come back for more. It is better to educate people on their tactics, and eventually people will stop feeding them. Starve them instead, is the best way to beat the troll.

I hope this helps...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: angeldoll

Disagree..
Just because some people post in certain forums doesn't mean they are trolling they may feel very strongly about the subject.
If people lie like you say point it out.

Oh and what about banter? is that trolling?.

I'm not talking about banter or interest in certain subjects. I'm talking about trolls.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll
Don't you think the whole troll label is a bit lame though, just people being pricks in online discussion.
Same pricks in real life just not so brave when they know they might get a smack in the gob lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You lost me after the first paragraph.......government agents??...

Arguing and being an a*****e are two entirely different things, someone disagreeing with you isn't a troll......or a secret government agent.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Understand.
Can you say if ATS currently has any infestation of 'Paid' trolls (if so, how bad?)...without giving specific names?

EDIT: Also, in which type of forums are they most involved?

9/11 forum comes to mind immediately.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Arguing and being an a*****e are two entirely different things, someone disagreeing with you isn't a troll......or a secret government agent.
Some folk think that though, disagreement equals troll apparently...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: deliberator

Aw, deliberator, cause I was gonna answer

edit on 20-12-2015 by breakingbs because: t

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

In our case I had asked you an innocent question, and I added to the question an annecdote that my brain had first mis-read 'Alex Jones' as 'Aled Jones' and it amused me, as they are polls apart when first reading your post reply.

I did not believe your comment to be ridiculous.
Having no idea who were talking about, I therefore couldn't comment on whether I agreed or disagreed with your comment.

I was saying in general, i have seen people taking the mick out of people whose opinion they may deem to be ridiculous and therefore are a target of ridicule.

Me & NonSpecific tend to talk politics rather than conspiracy theorists.. the winter evenings just fly by!

Okay, I will take your word for it but I'm surprised you didn't just ask your husband who Alex Jones is.

Also, when you said you joined for the pets forum made me smell a rat (pun?). You can get that from lolcatz, cheezburger etc.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid right now but I learnt a long time ago that just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

In light of that, the law of attraction could also play a huge part.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

Lol nevermind...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Behave, both nonspecific and mrsnonspecific are pretty transparent with their posts here on ATS, I trust them both much more than many other folk.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

The majority of ATS members know better than that. Most members love a good debate.

Having your beliefs challenged helps you to learn things you may not have been aware of before and can be very constructive to your overall knowledge of the facts.
edit on 20-12-2015 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Agreed, most folk see lame whining for what it is

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Behave, both nonspecific and mrsnonspecific are pretty transparent with their posts here on ATS, I trust them both much more than many other folk.

Yes, I've always respected NonSpecific. The Mrs is new to me and I probably read too much into her posts.

I'm not in a great place right now. Let's leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I know not everyone will agree with one another, that's life, and it happens every day. And it is our right to do so and think for ourselves. But there is a difference between disagreement, and shooting someone down(character assassination and full on discredit) based on their ideas or beliefs.

I have friends who practice witchcraft, though I don't agree with them practicing witchcraft, i respect their right to do so. They should be aware not to dable with things they don't really understand, but we all go through experiences in life that teaches us lessons to learn from.

But when someone enters the thread saying "cool story bro" , calling you ridiculous, trying to discredit you by labeling you. Not really offering anything productive nor contribution; Saying things like "you belong in a mental institute" this is actually an escalation from disagreement into flat out insult.

No matter how ridiculous a post sounds, it is still a point of view, a point of reference. I think most people would like to post topics that are controversial but are afraid because of ridicule. The troll behavior discourages people from posting certain topics. ATS several years ago, had alot of people posting a variety of different things. yes some still do, but it used to be.. alot more open.

Today I am afraid of posting anything new because of such ridicule, in the past however this was not the case.

The escalation of trolls happened within the past year. This is what I noticed, but back in 2011, the trolls were around, but they were at a minimum level.

And from what i read recently, ats was under DDOS attack. Put 2 and 2 together. Speaks volumes.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

You also seem to think that if someone says something stupid, they shouldn't be prepared to be called out on it?

In your world everyone could come out with whatever tripe they just pulled out from their butt and would expect to be taken seriously.

Tripe such as claims of government agents on ATS...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join