It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Top General Says Army Reserve Becoming a Broken Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The U.S. Army Reserve's top general sent a blunt memo to senior Army leaders, stating that the 200,000 member force "is rapidly degenerating into a 'broken' force." The memo, dated December 20, cites "current demands" in Iraq and Afghanistan for the "grave danger" of being unable to meet other potential Pentagon missions or help with domestic emergencies.

www.baltimoresun.com
In a blunt memo, Lt. Gen. James R. "Ron" Helmly, chief of the Army Reserve, noted the demands of overseas commitments and the unwillingness of Army and Pentagon officials to change "dysfunctional" policies that hamper the Reserve on issues such as training, extension of service and the mobilization of his soldiers.

"The purpose of this memorandum is to inform you of the Army Reserve's inability ... to meet mission requirements" associated with Iraq and Afghanistan "and to reset and regenerate its forces for follow-on and future missions," Helmly wrote in the eight-page memo sent through channels to the Army chief of staff, Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker.

"I do not wish to sound alarmist," Helmly wrote. "I do wish to send a clear, distinctive signal of deepening concern."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many of us have long suspected that our military forces are simply being stretched too thin. With our current commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan, burgeoning hostilities with Iran and North Korea, and need to assist with international relief efforts around the Indian Ocean, our men and women in uniform are being expected to extend their service times, often while underequipped to handle their assignments. This memo clearly shows the need for change.

It will be interesting to see how Lt. Gen. Helmly's career plays out over the next few months; the Bush administration has shown over and over again its disdain for naysayers and whistleblowers.

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US Army Reserve in trouble

[edit on 6-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It just got cold...
do i sense a DRAFT thru here?

read my lips..."NO NEW DRAFT"
like father like son, i think...

hope i am wrong...

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
uh no, with the trouble he says is going on, adding more soldiers with current policy would ruin the army reserves.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It�s not doubt about it that our reservists are very unhappy with the turn of events in Iraq and with the bad propaganda that came from the prison scandal in Iraq.

Also the way the reservist has been used in Iraq, they are not going to stay in the service.

Our active duty troops are over extended and have been over used.

The problem is there and is real, all you have to do is how the administration has been activating retirees to fill the void and the need for more troops.

I am glad that somebody has the guts to bring out the reality of Bushes war in Iraq.

Perhaps some of the war happy people out there will volunteer so our troops can have a rest from Bushes war.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ahhhhhhhh, I can hear it now. Muffled under the sand from where their heads are buried, FOX news, sharpening their teeth. Let the destruction of Helmly begin. Pistols at dawn? Sabres at Noon?

What shall it be today?

He's liberal? Naah, too easy. George Soro is behind this? How about the liberal media, twisting those facts again. The war is going SWIMINGLY. Hey, we might be onto something here. Oh, GAWD! It's MiCHAEL MOORE! He must have caused this!

How abou the old tried and true favorite, he's a bush basher! Those pesky Bush Bashers, they just don't get it, the American public wants and needs this war. Saddam was behind 9/11, you know.

Regardless, this is obviously somehow the Democrat's fault. First Kerry voted for the 87 billion, then he voted against it. If that doesn't work, it was Clinton's fault. It's also the Democrat's fault that Bush just killed 50 Billion in defense spending. I mean we NEED those programs for the strategic implemantation of the OSPREY!

Kerry just doesn't want out boys to have body armor, you know.

I got five bucks on O'Reilly taking the first shot at Helmly. I'm thinking, "left wing bomb thrower" or "character assassin" Of course, Hannity won't be out done, but he'll team up with Ann Coulter and talk about how great McCarthy was.

But, expect Helmly to be fully villified by early next week.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735

But, expect Helmly to be fully villified by early next week.

I doubt it. I don't think this will receive much media attention at all.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

From the source article:
"I do not wish to sound alarmist," Helmly wrote. "I do wish to send a clear, distinctive signal of deepening concern."

Sounds reasonable to me. I seriously doubt that anyone who knows the score doesn't share General Helmly's concerns.

Here's hoping he and other reserve commanders get the support they need to meet their mission requirements.

df1

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Amazing, the resident ATS war mongers have nothing to say in response to the General. Typical cowards, they will ignore this article and come out babbling for war on some other thread as if this article was never posted.

I bet they are down at the recruiter signing up to join the military.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Heck this is old news. It has been broken since Slick Willy gutted the military in the roaring 90's.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Finally the news is in the news main media, I was just watching the tv, and there it was on NBC, well it seems that is not only the reservist but the active duty also.

The army is losing people and is becoming hard to replaced them.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I love the smell of draft in the morning! I have already heard a few Republican strategists speaking about it on the news shows, and they were not steadfast against it like Bush made it seem. I'll be 28 this year so I'm probably too old, but I bet there'll be alot of regretful "security moms" out there who's sons will be shipped out. I guess that means not as many lowered Honda civics will be tear assing around town on Friday and Saturday nights. Oh well.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
I'll be 28 this year so I'm probably too old, but I bet there'll be alot of regretful "security moms" out there who's sons will be shipped out. I guess that means not as many lowered Honda civics will be tear assing around town on Friday and Saturday nights. Oh well.

Hey don't count yourself out of it yet, my husband has been retired since 98 and some of the marines that retired with him in the same year has been called back.

So far it has been on specialty jobs, so he found out that he can be also recalled withing the next 2 years, if things get that bad and he is in his forties. So you are just a young poppy.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Hey don't count yourself out of it yet, my husband has been retired since 98 and some of the marines that retired with him in the same year has been called back.

So far it has been on specialty jobs, so he found out that he can be also recalled withing the next 2 years, if things get that bad and he is in his forties. So you are just a young poppy.

Darn! My dad's from Canada, doesn't that automatically make me a citizen? Just kidding, I wouldn't abandon my country, but I would not be too happy about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That is the spirit, regarless of how I disagree with this war and the administration I have to be awared that my husband can be call back and he will be more than willing onces a marine always a marine.

Also my children are on prime draft age, so hey unless I move to Venezuela I guess I will have to fight for their lives.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well for those of you who never supported the Iraq war and do not feel like becoming drafted. Maybe another idea is to join your state militia. Then when the Fed comes callin, tell them you can go to hell and make peace with people instead of fighting, or we can fight you right here on our very own land

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Between Clinton gutting the military in the 90s and heavy use of the National Guard in the Mideaast, I can see where the troops are spread too thinly. I can see that morale could be bad.
I heard on local radio yesterday (1-5-5) that suicide is also a problem in the military in Iraq.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
well today we have in our local news that about 100 more reservist were call to active duty, and they are heading to California for a hasty training on combat and then they will be heading to Iraq.

Most of this reservist from the army here in Georgia, have never ever being in any type of war before in their life.

Actually they are kind of the last resource to be call in, most of them are past prime time by the way they looked on TV.

Some of them look so scared it was not funny, one of the man interviewed looked like he was choking on his worlds.

Sad very sad.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Well for those of you who never supported the Iraq war and do not feel like becoming drafted. Maybe another idea is to join your state militia. Then when the Fed comes callin, tell them you can go to hell and make peace with people instead of fighting, or we can fight you right here on our very own land

That's always an idea, but IMO, look for the next major terror attack to be "domestic", that way the government will be able to dissolve militias under the new and improved Patriot Act. This will likely be Phase II of the NWO. And unfortunately, there will probably be substantial bloodshed on our soil.

top topics

join