It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's step up, fellow members. We are better than this.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If "WE" were truly "better than this" then the world would be a whole lot different... but I hear ya and agree.. .the smarter, more reasonable folks generally keep quiet and avoid the more retarded discussions... not that I place myself in either group, to be clear, but am happy to place others there (kidding, kidding... mostly).

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I'm definitely not asking people to agree with each other - We all have different opinions. I've heard intelligent, and compassionate views from all over the spectrum - I'm not here to preach that there is a specific truth out there that all need to realize, or that we need to come together and agree on things in some preset way...

I'm just asking that when we do not agree on things, we still see each other as human beings and treat each other as such. I am asking for us to show our better selves - To take higher roads rather than dissolve into chaos every time partisan issues or phobias are brought up. We are all extremely complex and have so many reasons to believe or feel the way we do - To discount a persons emotions because you disagree with them is counter-productive to reaching any amount of peace.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I had to look up the accronym SJW. Maybe because my phone wants to auto correct it to she... However, the SJW's have me agasp lately. I didn't know the sensitivity dumbarsry had a name! I thought they were all ... Well here's examples
www.google.com...

Doing nothing but speaking
www.google.com...&gws_rd=ssl

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

"Being better" is a word describing potential, describing a certain side of us. We all have different emotions and different sides that come out in different situations - Many of us have been calm in chaotic situations, and many of us have been chaotic in otherwise calm situations. My premise is that we all have the choice of how to react to threads, how to respond to others when we disagree, and I've seen members and myself choose different roads at different times. My goal is to take the path that's less contentious and angry - It's not that anger and passionate feelings have never gotten anyone anywhere, I realize they have their place - It's just that within a forum board, we can collectively choose to respond in ways that could fuel enlightenment, rather than continuing division.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I'm wondering if this is a response to my thread... Voicing your own thoughts on something related to my thread? My apologies for not understanding or putting your post into context.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope
I was expressing my surprise that there were other names for the people. A.k.a. Social Justice Warriors.

I don't think I'll be buying that book. Just doesn't reach me.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Don't be snookered by this fraud, ATS!

These are stealth SJW activists trying to make their campaign go viral.

It is pure identity politics and anti-free speech.

WE GRIEVE THE MANY LIVES THAT HAVE BEEN LOST OR PAINFULLY TRANSFORMED IN RECENT WEEKS THROUGH EXTREME ACTS OF VIOLENCE. AND WE ARE APPALLED BY THE SURGE OF DIVISIVE RHETORIC THAT SOWS THE SEEDS OF MORE VIOLENCE TO COME. A DANGEROUS TIDE OF HATRED, VIOLENCE, AND SUSPICION IS RISING IN AMERICA — WHETHER AIMED AT ARAB AND MUSLIM AMERICANS, WOMEN AND THE PLACES WE SEEK HEALTH CARE, BLACK PEOPLE, IMMIGRANTS AND REFUGEES, OR PEOPLE JUST GOING ABOUT THEIR DAILY LIVES. THIS TIDE IS MADE MORE DANGEROUS BY EASY ACCESS TO GUNS. WHEN HAS HATE EVER LED TO PROGRESS? IS THIS REALLY WHAT WE WANT AMERICA TO BE?

WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS.

wearebetterthanthis.com...

edit on 18-12-2015 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Nice that you defined the terms and I cannot argue a bit with what you said... unless forced to, that is.

But if people were more reasonable and open to others potentiality, then this board (and onward and upward) really would change and we would all learn so much more.

But people, in general, are bored with reasonableness and calm... many folks are addicted to adrenaline and conflict because it is easier to find that sort of thing, i.e. conflict, "interesting."

Doesn't mean "we" shouldn't try to change that, though...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance
Maybe a lesson in why our rights matter for all the crybullies that want to give them away?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I believe that SJW's have every right to believe what they do, and have my respect if they want to voice their opinions in a reasonable and mannerly way, but often that doesn't seem to be the case. SJW's seem to want to ruin anothers' life because they disagree with a stance they hold, or disagree with their actions. This is more fighting, which as I've stated I am really tired of all this ... hatred, and negativity. People that are prejudiced in some way do not need to be "dealt" with - This just enhances the views that they hold. Every action has an equal reaction type thing - You see SJW's attempting to force their opinions in extreme ways, they just "justify" those other persons views.

It's like the islamophobia issue. America blocking them from entering, threatening the muslim-americans who already live here with infringement of their rights, etc - Just continues the cycle. Americans openly hating muslims is not going to help anything - Such a mindset in any situation, is not going to help anything. It just furthers the problem - I don't have an exact solution, but an amount of tolerance and acceptance could be adopted by a lot more people in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The politicians, banksters, and crony capitalists have us all bent over the proverbial barrel with our pants down around our ankles.

Meanwhile, the citizens are fully absorbed in their left-right pissing match competitions.

ATS gives us a nice bird's eye view of that ugly reality.

On an individual level, most humans tend to be intelligent, rational, logical... but en masse, we become self-absorbed petulant little children.

Is it any wonder how we ended up bent over the barrel by TPTB ?!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I definitely have nothing to do with this. Look at my post history - You'll see plenty of arrogant and ignorant posts from me. I am 100% for freedom of speech, and would not seek to deny anyone this right. It's like I just replied to someone, people that are prejudiced and such do not need to be "dealt with" in extreme ways. Seeking extreme solutions for such problems only furthers the problems.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I've also been taking a break from reading/posting because of the negativity, anger and fear that's been so prominent here. But your OP gives me a lot of hope. It makes me smile. And I agree with much of what you have to say. Great OP!
edit on 12/18/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

link   

We don't need to agree

but anyone normal can negotiate a compromise ..

you can see it here there is no need to put this amount of energy into disagreeing an opinion it is so petty and yes we can get so much better speed up the process ..

New generation
collaborative ideas and motives

Basic fundamental principles of economy prove your point over and over
collaborate and you both win ..

Disagreeing on purpose for no reason is so frikin backwards thinking
edit on 18-12-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

link   
OP, you've got a good message going. It's a shame that it's going to fall on many deaf ears, but it'll reach plenty of others. It doesn't take a unanimous agreement to enact positivity that catches on. Some folks are just slower than molasses in winter at getting the idea.

Thread derail attempt summary: "F# everyone & their good intentions, my self-loathing desires company."

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thank you, Benevolent - I've created somewhat ignorant posts in the past that you've disagreed with, but if you've ever followed those posts to the end, I do TRY to come out of a discussion with a better mentality than I started with on any given topic.

Your signature is the perfect example of what I'm trying to say here - Coexist. It's do-able, it's reasonable, it's achievable.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

During an election season ??? I would more expect to see the oceans boil and dragons to give birth to socks made of cheese than the right wing and libtards to act civilly toward each other!

This is AMERICA, not some European sissy like Canada!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If we all gonna turn into angels and tree huggers ATS will be a boring place.

We got the mods taking care of business.

Don't you love those Phage confrontations?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have found SJW or people raised too PC only want the rights applied situationally. The stupidity of that is why we have a bill of rights.

As I've stated I think and believe many things that are for now my right think and believe. I have issues with others not understanding that there is a point where their own rights become my environment.

To even rationalize the concept of free speech not being a good thing really trully makes me want to go tattle to individuals h.s government teachers because a) I believe they were taught the importance and b) if they were not taught the importance we need to fix that promptly.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Again, I'm not insinuating that a blissful utopia can exist. I'm not asking for this, suggesting it, pretending it's a reality. Contention, disagreement, debates, all of it will always exist, such is part of being human.

I haven't gone as much into detail because I wanted this to be more broad and not about one subject, but my OP does talk about groups of people, certain types of hatred and prejudices that I think we can collectively take a higher road on. It seems some people are naturally anti-collaboration, and others deny it's possibility but I'll keep on keeping on, I do it in my personal and professional life, and see it's possibility all around us. Reality? Maybe, maybe not. No one is going to take away that hope, though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join