It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim etymology, "one who submits"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
en.m.wiktionary.org...

From Arabic مُسْلِم ‎(muslim, “one who submits”), the active participle of أَسْلَمَ ‎(ʾaslama, “he submitted”), verb form IV from the triliteral root س ل م ‎(s-l-m), "to be whole, intact". The verbal noun إسْلام ‎(ʾislām) means literally "submission". In a religious sense, al-Islām translates to "faith, piety", and Muslim to "one who has (religious) faith or piety".

So a Muslim is one who submits?

I heard this from an Irianian, there are many in SoCal so I had to look it up and it's true.

So what does that mean, anyone of any faith who submits to the will of God is a Muslim?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Catholic means universal.

Does that mean everyone in the universe is a Christian?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
My best friend growing up was a Persian zarathustran....
His family had emigrated fleeing unimaginable oppression from an Islamic Iran....
I will not go into details but let's put it this way: the curved shoes Zoroastrians were forced to wear for centuries are mere footnotes now...pun intended...
There was a zarathustran holocaust which occurred that NOONE is willing to acknowledge...

As far as Zoroastrians(who are nearly extinct) I can assure you that "submitting" was a better choice than dying....just not the way the fawning media portrays it...

-Christosterone

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
So a Muslim is one who submits?

I heard this from an Irianian, there are many in SoCal so I had to look it up and it's true.

So what does that mean, anyone of any faith who submits to the will of God is a Muslim?

No it just means that to be a Muslim (in the eyes of Allah) you must submit (to Him).

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Yes, this is correct. People from a Judeo-Christian background don't seem to understand this, but the Prophet Muhammad is the final messenger of Islam, not its originator. The Qur'an is incredibly clear about this.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What do we call someone who submits to someone or something else? A slave. Just something to chew on.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
Yes, this is correct. People from a Judeo-Christian background don't seem to understand this, but the Prophet Muhammad is the final messenger of Islam, not its originator. The Qur'an is incredibly clear about this.

But they believe Jesus is the messiah or a prophet?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

It is a part of history many seem to have forgotten, especially poorly informed Muslims and their apologists.

Muslims massacred millions of Zoroastrians, Christians and Jews throughout the Middle East, North Africa and south Europe when they formed the first and second caliphate by brutal violent force.

Those that were not murdered were made slaves or forced to choose between "submitting" or starving .

edit on 18-12-2015 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Since a Muslim is anyone who submits to the will of God lets call that group something else.

Let's call them Islamic extremist or radicals.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

That so-called extremism is the will of Allah according to Muhammed and his Quran.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
What do we call someone who submits to someone or something else? A slave. Just something to chew on.

Duh. We're God's servants. Hence my username. For example, the name "Abdullah" literally means "servant/slave of God" (abd refers to a servant/slave).

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

But they believe Jesus is the messiah or a prophet?

We believe both, though "Messiah" might have a different meaning to Christians. Here's just one passage from the Qur'an that refers to the Prophet Jesus as the "Messiah".

Quran, Surat 3, Ali Imran ("Family of Imran"), line 45, multiple translations:

Pickthall translation

45. (And remember) when the angels said: O Mary! Lo! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a word from him, whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, illustrious in the world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (unto Allah).

Dr. Ghali translation

45. As the Angels said, "O Maryam, (Mary) surely Allah gives you good tidings of a Word from Him whose name is the Masih Isa (Literally: pens) son of Maryam, esteemed in the present (life) (Literally: the lowly "life", i.e., the life of this world) and the Hereafter, and one of the near -stationed (i.e., stationed near to' Allah).

Muhsin Khan translation

45. (Remember) when the angels said: "O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allah gives you the glad tidings of a Word ["Be!" - and he was! i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus) the son of Maryam (Mary)] from Him, his name will be the Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allah."

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Is not Allah sufficient (for) His slave? And they threaten you with those besides Him. And whoever Allah lets go astray - then not for him any guide.

39:36

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
Extending the talk of one who submits being a servant or slave,

Acts 3:13
The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let Him go.

And Moses is constantly called "Servant of God" in the Bible (as are Paul and James in some verses).
How is that written in the hebrew? "Ebed eloyhim"
Ebed Eloyhim==Abd Allah.

In and of itself, I don't particularly see it as something offensive for a follower of these faiths to be called a servant or slave of their deity, in fact, they'd probably see it as praise.
edit on 18-12-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I don't think God would see us as slaves nor would he want us to think of ourselves as slaves. A slave has limited free will, God would not restrict us like that.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

What do we call someone who submits to someone or something else? A slave. Just something to chew on

All the major religions treat their followers as "slaves"; you have no freedom only death, the fear of "sin" drummed into a person from birth. The priests and secular politicians share the power over people. They dangle the carrot of eternal life in the hereafter; suffering is "noble", whilst different rules apply to them and they enjoy the toys that the slave class provide for them in this life!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

God would not restrict us like that.

But the gods that we have allowed to live on this world restrict us from attaining our true godhood. They want you to remain in ignorance. They thrive on loosh and keep man forever fighting and killing each other. It is time for man to overthrow all gods.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
So my weird mind giggles like a schoolgirl when I hear the city name Islambad. Its in Pakistan .

Can you give us the emtomology of that word so I can act like the mature adult I pretend to be when I hear it?
edit on 18-12-2015 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish
As far as I'm aware, -abad is just a persian place-name suffix (possibly with the same etymology as the word "abode").
There are lots of -abads in and around Afghanistan, India, Iran and Pakistan- Abbotabad, for example, being "The abode of Abbots", because it housed a school run by a group of missionaries (you might remember the city as the one Osama was found to be hiding out in), Jacobabad, being named for a british general, Faisalabad, named for the Saudi Arabian King Faisal, Jalalabad, named for a Mughal king Jalaluddin, etc.
edit on 18-12-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

It is short for Islam-a-bad-political-ideology.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I don't think God would see us as slaves nor would he want us to think of ourselves as slaves. A slave has limited free will, God would not restrict us like that.

"Slave" is the English word. "Servant" is the way I interpret it, since we willingly choose to serve Him. Hence my username.

There is literally no compulsion in the Qur'an and the path of a Muslim is literally a person choosing to serve God. The instructions in the Qur'an are for those who choose to serve Him; as in, if I really want to be His servant, these are the things I must do to prove it. However, the Qur'an also has a lot of recommendations that are neither forbidden nor required. Honestly, I get bored going into detail on this because people could just read it for themselves. It describes things better than I ever could.

One last thing though, I don't think you're correct about God not wanting to restrict us. In fact, that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. The whole point in most scriptures is to teach people how to reject their negative tendencies. This is the same, regardless of the religion. "Thou shalt not steal", "thou shalt not kill", "no sex until marriage", "help the poor", etc.

<<   2 >>

join