It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rhythm gaming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hey again ATS. I browse this site everyday but never post- I hate my username, my points are all messed up, and talking about my contact experience here seems to belittle it. I've always used the internet to play, discuss and buy games, but what happened to me was no game. Which is ironic because I do have a videogame to thank (blame) for helping me reach the right mind state to have a legit paranormal experience. It's called Beatmania IIDX.

The granddaddy of all music games. It has an extremely sharp learning curve, I remember reading an article on one of my music gaming forums about how no one can be good at first. It takes about 3 weeks of playing to grow the synapses required to recognize the more challenging note patterns.

So this is how I meditate. Once I'm warmed up something else takes over the action leaving me free to explore my inner thoughts. About 9 and a half years ago I was playing the most recent mix (11 Red) when they actually freakin came for me. Here's my old MUFON sighting report www.ufocasebook.com...

Don't take the seizure warning at the loading screen lightly.

Because of all this I really embraced my love for music games. I own nearly 200. Most of them are Konami PS2 imports. But nowadays they're all on the Vita (or PlayStation TV). I am currently playing:

Hatsune Miku- Project Divas/ Mirai
charming little games. It took me years to get this vocaloid fad, its more about self-discovery than partying. Something about the whole 'robots searching for their souls' thing really attracts me

Superbeat Xon!c
Hardcore DJ game. Last I checked I'm #12 on the leaderboards

Taiko no Tatsujin V
cute drum game. it has a solid songlist but i found no middle ground. songs are either too easy or too hard

Persona 4: Dancing all Night
my game of the year. Also most expensive, cost me over $100 after the DLC. But worth every cent. There's just so much meaning, you can see it in the song titles- Reach out to the Truth, Pursuing my True Self, and Next Chance to Move On come to mind.

so yeah I just wanted to make a general music gaming thread to see what (if any) rhythm games ATSers play.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Never understood these games, why people would want to do the music equivalent of paint by numbers instead of getting a real instrument and just screwing around making something beautiful randomly for fun instead of following orders for which button to randomly mash is beyond me. I guess though it's fun for those who love music but have the creativity of a park bench ?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I love them. Generally stick to guitar hero, rock band nowadays. I still have my Xbox with DDR Ultramix 3 and 2 dance pads just in case anyone ever wants to give it a go haha. I really enjoyed Parappa the Rappa back in the PS1 days as well.

Played some beat game in Japantown San Fransisco a few weeks ago that had you banging on a huge drum. It was really fun once you got to some of the more challenging stages.

I think they are fun because they challenge you mentally and physically. I used to get good workouts from hours of DDR.

I think Discotech it is probably just not for you. If you want to learn to play guitar IRL the more power to you. I don't want to. For me it's more about the muscle memory and the mental challenge that I wouldn't get from sitting with a real guitar by myself without years of practice. I'm not interested in making that investment of my time.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Never understood these games, why people would want to do the music equivalent of paint by numbers instead of getting a real instrument and just screwing around making something beautiful randomly for fun instead of following orders for which button to randomly mash is beyond me. I guess though it's fun for those who love music but have the creativity of a park bench ?

Well for me it's about the instant gratification every 2 minutes. I'm sure you're thinking of Guitar Hero/RockBand, which do have horrible random charts to songs you've heard a million times. But slowly learning a new song by inching further along each time only gets more and more rewarding. And, in a way, the soundtracks never truly get old. Just nostalgic.

I understand your train of thought but you couldn't be more wrong about the players having no creativity. I for one have 12 years of piano under my belt, not only does IIDX help my dexterity but also inspires my creative side. Many of the simple melodies and rhythms in these games are oddly familiar, like they're not new just remembered from a forgotten time. Why can't we have it both ways? Just create, create without ever discovering anything?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: johnnychicken

My buddies used to be nationally ranked DDR players. They play this game too. I can't really get into many rhythm games. I used to play Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but they get boring. I'd rather just play a real instrument.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I hate music games in general. Rocksmith seems good though as you can plug your guitar in but then again I think what's the point?

There's a good reason why Guitar hero and rock band don't do metal-it's kinda hard to blast beat and speed palm mute with those rubbish controllers.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Dance off Krazy, you and me.

My whole life has been leading up to this.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

No no. My buddies were nationally ranked. I'd just make a fool of myself.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I think it's impossible to play DDR at all and not look a little bit like a fool.

I've yet to meet someone in real life who dances to any song even close to how DDR portrays dancing.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

Lol touche.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

There's a good reason why Guitar hero and rock band don't do metal-it's kinda hard to blast beat and speed palm mute with those rubbish controllers.

Which is why I dropped $300 on this bad boy

Guitar Freaks Arcade Style Controller

Even though there are only 9 mixes available that's still more than Guitar Hero. Guitar Freaks has been around since 1999, and it focuses on picking more than button pressing. The controller reflects this, the pick has more resistance but breathe on one of the 3 buttons and they register. Which is opposite of a GH/RB controller, with its stiff buttons and flimsy pick.

top topics

join