It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish and Chips?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
to those claiming to be english and not liking fish and chips,sorry but you are not
have you never tried cod n chips in newspaper the way it was meant to be eaten from a british chippy.
the secret is to go to a coastal chip ship where the cod is fresh it tastes entirely different
its more milky then ,most london chip shops the fish is not nice i agree and tastes nothing like a good coastal chippy
with real fresh fish,even in surrey the fish is bad and not worth buying.
i've been to whitby and the fish is amazing there ,i guess they have no palette or are to posh to eat common cod and chips.

yes i eat many spicy foods ,but if you can get a quality cod served from boat to plate in a few hours its amazing .
as for sunday roast sorry if your meat was overdone but that is bad cooking .

but to end if you go to a inland chippy you will not get nice fish and chips in the uk and the size of the cod is a joke

Well to be honest I am English and I do not like fish and chips but apart fromsending you a copy of my bith certificate you will have to trust me on this!

As Disraeli says you have not been allowed to eat fish and chips from old newspaper for years now if not decades which is I admit a shame, it's the same with candyfloss, very hard to find it on a stick these days as they are worried someone will loose an eye.

I have eaten fish and chips on the Norfolk coast, Lincolnshire coast, Devonshire, Dorset, Hampshire and Somerset.

I have eaten them in Scotland and wales and a hundred other places across the country and I can confirm that I really do not like them, the vinager riddled ones from the coast you talk about are the worst, it can almost turn my stomach just walking past a costal chipshop.

I will however conceed that if really hungry I would eat fish and chips(less the vinager) over chips with any of the other abomanations served up in the name of sustinance.

I am referring here to the awfulness that is the Pukka pie(of any description), the battered sausage or the savaloy.

The only thing I really like from a chip shop is a well made fishcake, proper mushy peas and the wonder that is a well pickled egg.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
well that's a lie there is no vinegar unless you ask for it,so i can disregard your statements as you have fabricated already shame on you

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I was with you all the way until you put savaloy in the same category as the battered sausage!

It's nice to hear a chef say that F&C is crud. Gives me some confidence in my palette.

With regards to cod - I catch my own - can't get fresher than that.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

well that's a lie there is no vinegar unless you ask for it,so i can disregard your statements as you have fabricated already shame on you

Wow you really are taking this seriously.

I think you will find that when ordereing fish and chips they will ask you if you want salt and vinager as it is the customary accompaniment to the dish.

What exactly have I fabricated?

Your joking here right?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

If you live on an over-grown island with fish all around, it is typical for fish to have been a strong part of your antecedent's diets. If you live in the middle of Nebraska, from a farming heritage, not so much. Get the picture?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

I was with you all the way until you put savaloy in the same category as the battered sausage!

It's nice to hear a chef say that F&C is crud. Gives me some confidence in my palette.

With regards to cod - I catch my own - can't get fresher than that.

I did think I might recieve some backlash for including savaloy's I would never speak out against them in the real world. I have life long friends that would shiff me with a chip fork for speaking badly of the good old british savaloy.

I think I dislike them partly because I know what is in them and partly because I once heard them likened to something that should be swinging between a horses back legs...

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

how about this statement

the vinager riddled ones from the coast you talk about are the worst

but then you have even contradicted yourself after i pointed out your lies and try to make out this is what you stated
with the following

I think you will find that when ordereing fish and chips they will ask you if you want salt and vinager as it is the customary accompaniment to the dish

but that is what i corrected you on , so yes you did indeed fabricate and then backpeddled with the information i supplied

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

how about this statement

the vinager riddled ones from the coast you talk about are the worst

but then you have even contradicted yourself after i pointed out your lies and try to make out this is what you stated
with the following

I think you will find that when ordereing fish and chips they will ask you if you want salt and vinager as it is the customary accompaniment to the dish

but that is what i corrected you on , so yes you did indeed fabricate and then backpeddled with the information i supplied

Really?

Take a walk and get some fresh air, My opinion of fish and chips is just that, my opinion.

I am not looking at your missus here, I did not spill your pint.

It's fish and chips mate.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Yanks call chips what we call crisps.

In Manhattan the delis do meal deals - sandwich drink and chips (crisps) - the crisps were in a large exposed container; ever since I saw the cook grab some by ungloved hand and put them in with the sandwich I declined any further "chips".
Who ever came up with the idea of eating crisps with a deli sandwich?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

fish and chips are sacred and i object ,when you diss my fish 'n' chips you might as well be looking at my wife.
just because you are a non believer in my fish 'n' chips does not give you the right to slander my fish 'n' chips

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

fish and chips are sacred and i object ,when you diss my fish 'n' chips you might as well be looking at my wife.
just because you are a non believer in my fish 'n' chips does not give you the right to slander my fish 'n' chips

You can keep 'em.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Has no one eaten seafood in new england? Every restaurant has fish and chips and it's usually very good every where. Most places in new england, if not all, are within 2-3 hours of the ocean, most probably within an hour. New England is obsessed with sea food.

Long John silvers is not real seafood and is disgusting.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I know, who eats "chips" and fish with "tomato sauce"?

Its fries and ketchup

Sorry to be the one, but who eats any Fish & Chips WITH Tomato sauce or ketchup! How banal!
If you must put any sauce on F & C, maybe Tartare or worcestershire sauce?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
To stop all arguments;

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I had fish and chips last night hmmm. The fish was Haddock being the traditional fish caught in Scotland whereas in england it would be Cod becasue the North sea was full of it. The chips are strange by US standards ours have this odd white stuff in the middle called potato whereas the french fry is fresh air surrounded by brown crispy starch.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Haha!

I suck out the insides which leaves a chewy, plastic sheath resembling a used johnny.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Don't tell the trawlers but as we speak the North Sea is brimming with cod - like it hasn't been for years. It's a really good year for the buggers.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: intrptr

I know, who eats "chips" and fish with "tomato sauce"?

Its fries and ketchup

Sorry to be the one, but who eats any Fish & Chips WITH Tomato sauce or ketchup! How banal!
If you must put any sauce on F & C, maybe Tartare or worcestershire sauce?

I agree, but thats what the OP said…

That's what you do on a hot summer night, go order a minimum chips and flake, then add some tomato sauce and your in heaven.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I like fish but I am not much for shark or many of the Ocean fish. I prefer the local whitefish or trout. I prefer the freshwater perch to the Ocean perch too. Nothing better than some fresh bass or crappie. Northern pike is kind of bony but if cooked in foil with butter on the grill, the bones fall out.

Getting fish from clean water is a must. The Ocean fish up around my area is pretty expensive for the quality of the product. I like some shrimp occasionally but dislike Lobster.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Are you on the shark fishing promotion council or something. We in Britain invented fish and bloody chips and I'll tell you now it's COD and CHIPS. Just because we've virtually outfished cod and have been looking for an alternative is neither here nor there. But shark!!!! Come on, sharks eat us not we eat them. Besides we don't have many sharks off the British coast. So is that why you're pushing shark, are you a shark meat exporter trying to expand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join