It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 years on ATS: This is what I’ve learned…

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
In about two weeks, on the 2nd of January, 2016, I will have been a registered member of ATS for 8 years.

In my time here, I’ve had the opportunity to experience a lot of new views, opinions, and conflicts. I had just recently looked back at some of my earliest topics, and can see a how little I knew about virtually everything 8 years ago, from biology, to debating etiquette, to grammar, to internet behaviour. Honestly, some of them are rather embarrassing. Even the reason for how I discovered the existence of ATS is rather embarrassing (It was due to an airplane movie line [Transformers], where some character said a thing was ‘above top secret’).

However, ATS has been an intrinsic part of my life ever since, and I’m glad it is, because I believe it has shaped me as a person, outside of the realm of the internet.

So, Thank you ATS, for existing, after reading thousands of topics, and several thousand comments… This is what I’ve learned:

~ Whatever you do, always question your government

~ There is such a thing as being ‘too prepared’, but it’s far worse to be totally unprepared

~ Even though it’s painful, someone may be able to convince you your position is wrong

~ It is a far more respectable trait for someone to admit when they are wrong, rather than to close their mind, run away, and make the same debunked claims over and over again

~ Discussing topics that are highly controversial isn’t a bad thing, in fact, it is massively beneficial

~ You’re more likely to convince someone who holds a staunch opposing opinion that their position is not as accurate as they believe when you use excessive respect and pacifism, rather than through rude comments and aggressive behavior

~ Always provide citations for your claimed information

~ Always read the citations your providing before you provide them to ensure they actually support your position

~ Always crosscheck your citations with additional citations that cross-confirm the information within those citations

~ Acknowledge that absolute knowledge is an impossible achievement.

~ Understand that variation occurs in virtually everything, it’s almost never black and white, everything seems to have a grey area, this is especially prevalent when it comes to world views and opinions on specific topics

~ Self progression is the total cause of all terrible things that occur in human decisions

~ Study everything, even if that topic is entirely against your personal opinion

~ Understand that a debate isn’t necessarily an attempt to persuade the opposing debater, but rather, to share information with the audience of the debate

~ If you have a position, and want to clarify it, clarify it in terms that are simple to understand, yet so numerous and thorough that you might as well have written a book

~ Always ask what others' opinions are

~ Be honest

~ Be humble

~ Deny Ignorance

Thanks for nearly a decade of incredible information, crazy information, intriguing information, and forewarning information. Here’s to another 8 years!

What has ATS taught you?

edit on 11/12/15 by Ghost147 because: Added a bit of flare

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Its taught me how fear, mass hysteria and fear mongering is one of the most effective tools of government.

And every government , big corp or media outlet has a motive.

O and bildenberg group. That was a eye opener with bohemian grove. Thats shiz is fecked up.
edit on 11-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

That most are afraid.
That many hide their bigotry until the right time.
That most people (me included) are bat # insane.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Another excellent thread Ghost!

I have learned how to better form my position on a variety of topics.

I have found a great source that I come back to time and time again, example being the research that many have done on alternative health approaches. Really some members have created amazing threads on this.

I know where to get my news, the community we have here truly is amazing when it comes to being on top of breaking events.

I have learned more about myself, in many ways, not least of all my own ignorance!

Also it allows us to collectively get our wild notions out and discuss it with our global member base which in and of itself helps each of our personal lives!

Thank you Ghost for the pause and reflection!

edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago12America/Chicago1231amFriday5 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   

What has ATS taught you?

-Republicans and Democrats both work for the global elite bloodlines, not the American citizens.
-There is a war to destroy the US Constitution and replace it with the United Nations declaration of Interdependence.
-Politicians suck
-UFO's are real tangible manifestations however, who controls them, what they are and where they come from are yet to be verified.
-We went to the moon but NASA still photo-shops sh!t.
-Conspiracy theorists are the sharpest and most astute bunch when it comes to exposing government lies.
-The US military does not war for freedom and democracy it wars for Oil and Gas (see point 1)
-Pommies are alright, despite what they say about you, yanks are too, except when they are in groups of more than 3.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

You ever been to the UK?.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'm never wrong. I am just not right all the time.

There is a little truth to most things, it is the BS in things that makes you look the other way. Always remember to look at things from all angles before completely discounting it.

I see good and bad in everything, evaluating what is good and what is bad is what is important. Or asking yourself whether something is really important. People focus on different things as being important, based on how it influences their lives. A person working on the Mars Rover project thinks their work is important but in actuality it is only really important to the people they associate with or their followers.

So what have I learned. What everyone thinks is important varies and this causes people to get polarized a little. It also makes life a little more interesting. If everyone was the same, it would be like talking to yourself. People also tend to look towards things that reinforce their beliefs and avoid researching things open mindedly that go against their beliefs. This often makes it hard for a person to change mindset.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

You ever been to the UK?.

Yes, about once a year for a few weeks, my wife is from Dublin. The last time I went to London, I was fortunate enough to be put up in Soho, at the Groucho Club.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

I knew it criminals always return to the scene of the crime
(you walked right into that one lol)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The list would be pages long, thanks to my fellow members. ALL of you.

1. The moment I think I have it all figured out. I don't.
2. Denying ignorance starts with denying my own. Which I have only marginally been successful at.
3. Critical thinking is a skill that must be continually exercised, like a muscle, or it atrophies.
4. The more I learn about others, the more I learn about myself.
5. "Know Thyself" is not a suggestion.
6. Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean you can't learn from them.
7. Facts abound. But truth is rare.
8. Fear, not money, is the root of all evil.
9. Don't take yourself too seriously, and don't believe everything you think.

10. Travis Walton was right.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Never heard that before, but that was pretty darned funny.

I love this site, and really love seeing my peers here share the feeling.
ATS has affected me similarly to Ghost. It has shaped the way I think, and the way I interact with people and the world.

Coming from a small town, it has also given me access to minds that are well beyond what is available locally and in person. For that, I am extremely grateful.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I was lurking almost a decade before joining; at first it taught me question many things and opened my eyes to things that TPTB didn't want us to know,one of ATS greatest strengths is the ability for folk to have a heated intelligent discussion where we can agree to disagree but somehow find a middle ground.

But lately is has taught me nothing.

I have been visiting a lot less recently because i'm over seeing the same four words: Trump, Muslim, gun control-and sadly that means that I'll ignore most political threads nowadays. The Paris attacks almost broke this camels back as every second thread was about Paris-that horrible situation turned into a shouting contest and I did not care for it.

ATS is becoming far too political for my liking, sure it is good to have your eyes opened but it only takes one thread to do so and i'm tired of being bombarded by political threads. The people have a voice and instead of shouting louder than the others people should try having a conversation.

edit on 11-12-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I find this same statement changes every few months/years. "All the topics are all on the same subject", then the subject migrates. Some subjects take longer to migrate than others, and when some subjects stick around a bit, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other interesting things popping up.

Just a few months ago ATS couldn't get enough of "homosexuality" as the main subject at hand. Questioning how it was moral, or how it was natural, or how people chose, or how marriage would lead to [insert slippery slope argument]. And now the subject has migrated.

I care very little for political topics, gun control, and topics regarding peoples opinions on Muslims. So I seek out the areas where those topics rarely go, and if they do, it's a totally different tone. Sometimes differences come in smaller packages, and you just need to go looking for them

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I find this same statement changes every few months/years. "All the topics are all on the same subject", then the subject migrates.

Just a few months ago ATS couldn't get enough of "homosexuality" as the main subject at hand. Questioning how it was moral, or how it was natural, or how people chose, or how marriage would lead to [insert slippery slope argument]. And now the subject has migrated.

I've noticed that there is a 'flavor of the month' and yes hot topics will be hot for good reason, I just don't understand the constant flows of threads that replicate the thoughts of other posters. Why can't some contribute to a pre existing thread and give their opinion rather than creating an entirely new thread?

I recently read an awesome thread about the anniversary of the keckburg UFO and it was thorough and awesome-was there a need for another thread? I just think that ideas and thoughts should coalesce instead of everyone yelling all at once.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Happy Anniversary! Almost.

ATS has taught me that the rabbit hole is real, that there are others out there thinking and truth seeking.
It has also taught about humility, and humanity. People are beautiful intelligent craziness, and it's amazing to share in such a gathering of diverse souls in one place earnestly seeking truth. I have learned that people don't always have to agree to make it right either, a valuable lesson that may even yet bring me back together with my family. I have learned that people do care, even if we will never see each other's faces. This place is like one massive dysfunctional family. I for one love you all!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You must be doing something right, after 8 years you're still here and I'm so glad you are. I've enjoyed your posts and love your crazy avatar. Wth is that thing it's holding???

After 10 years I've learned cooler heads prevail. Best not to get too excited until more is known about the subject matter, sources and the poster as well. We can be a bit quick to judge, human nature.

I hate seeing people get banned. It's funny over time I find I miss ex-members. Even those I completely disagreed with to the point of avoiding their posts, I wonder about them. Some members just go away/stop posting, I wonder about/miss them too. It's kind of sad and curious.

Seems it's been less about conspiracies, more about a group of quirky, argumentative humans I've become very attached to. Seems we're all trying to find common ground or flat out disprove everyone else in our quest for knowledge/answers. Either way I love it, I've learned a lot and my horizons are forever broadened thanks to the good/bad people of ATS.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

Yes, this site can be amazing and it has warped my worldview to a weirder perspective that might actually be somewhat factual, and despite the peaks and troughs of content, the core posters-subjects remain amazing...

but as far as that avatar, it always reminded me of those cocktail wieners on a toothpick.. .or an alien version of Vienna Wieners being contemplated before consumption.

And that's why I refrain from avatars!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have learned.

1. Every single event ever is a false flag
2. Obama is the devil and was responsible for the death of dinosaurs.
3. Criminals are never guilty, they are the victims.
4. There is no evil in the world unless it's controlled by TPTB. Ignore that mankind has been doing horrible things to each other since before government existed.
5. YouTube and "it doesnt look right to me" are valid evidence.
6. Being successful and financially viable makes you a bad man.
7. That only the US , as a nation, operates in it's own interest. No other country anywhere in the known galaxy does that except for the Evil Empire.
8. Sadly people still believe the Earth is flat.

9.. ATS does a good job at using different people and different sources to tell the story of breaking events.

edit on 11-12-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
5 Year old here and ATS has taught me ?

100% of the time American politics is the pot calling the kettle phobes that has many adjective that can be placed in front of it.

The best thing about ATS is it has other forums where people can take a break from the 'real' world.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I 'lurked' for several years before finally joining. Conspiracy theorists seemed to be mostly nutters until I started coming here and learning. I must admit that I am amazed at the depth of knowledge within the members of this site. One need only read a few threads in their entirety to find this out. I also like that incorrect assumptions are addressed and dismissed by kind truth 99% of the time. This site will force you to learn, like it or not. I have come to enjoy many of the folks here and will read their comments regardless of subject matter. Thank you Phage. I admit to reading the most outlandish of posts just to search for the nuggets they may have and admit to finding a few. Ultimately, I must say that the best thing that this site has to offer is the exchange of ideas, and the ability to view subjects from many perspectives. I'm proud to be a member.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join