It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what cool or must have gifts should i get for a master at crochet and knit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
hey all.
my wife is a master at crochet and knit. he has quite a lot of stuff already but i am wanting to get her something or a few things that are really sweet. something a person who does this hobby could use or want.

she has a lot of stuff already. different size looms for certain projects. we have 2 bookshelves full of yarn. different weights and colors.
she has a master set of crochet hooks. she has various stitch markers. puff paint. safety eyes.
all the proper things to measure and cut.

she has only recently started collecting the knitting needles. different needles and types. different weight yarns for these projects.

i know she wants a master set of these knitting needles that are attached to a wire somehow and that will allow her to 'stack" or whatever the word is for laying larger projects out.
im going to get that for sure.

i am going to get several skeins of her favourite weights and colors.
there was a pattern book she mentioned wanting so i am going to pick that up too.

here is where i get stuck. i want to get her something else that would fit in with the tools and materials she already has. i just dont know what.
she has a few different size bags that you can zip closed over the yarn but the yarn is fed through a hole at the top. this way she can have multiple skeins going at once and they dont get tangled and roll around the floor.
i do all the sewing for her so i know we dont need any of that stuff.

she really wants a spinning wheel but i just dont have the cash for that right now.

if anyone has these same hobbies and could turn me onto something i would very much appreciate it.

thank you all

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
furlscrochet.com...

This. Definitely this.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I do a decent amount of crochet and I am very partial to my bamboo handled hooks.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
If she doesn't allready use them.... Ergonomic Crochet Hooks

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

i could offer my address and a wish list. That'd be a great gift.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

May I suggest a few tubes of Aspercreme (pain relief) for her stocking? You're a good guy Tiny.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This isn't knitting oriented.....but the aspercreme comment made me think of a " Parafin wax machine" ...they're not too expensive depending on size you get. Some are made smaller just for hands, and some larger for your feet or hands.....and in case you don't know what it is....it is a small tub that holds Parafin warm melted wax. Parafin being moisturizing , and therapeutic for muscles , arthritis, ect. ...you leave the machine on low , and it keeps the wax melted nice and warm. The wax comes in different scents too....they have them in salons and spas and use them when you get a manicure or pedicure.....just thought I'd throw that out there. Google " Parafin wax machine" .......otherwise......I liked the furlsbowl that hold yarn in the link up above!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTearsEvery knitter should have a yarn ball winder. It helps with storage of all those skeins of yarn. It turns them into balls of yarn. Then as she knits she pulls from the center of the ball. It keeps things neat and tidy.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Those are really nice for crochet too. Nothing is worse that finding out mid project that the center of your skein is tangled beyond repair and having to stop and try to set it all right by hand.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
A shopping trip to an boutique yarn shop where they sell the primo hand-dyed yarn - the stuff you really, really want to make a sweater or other wearable out of.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
A baby lamb, if you have the room. They are really cute.
And she can spin her own wool, when for next year you get her sheers and a spinning wheel!😀

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The spinning wheel is a great thing however there is a type of spindle that is slower than a real spinning wheel but similar technique and I really enjoyed it, while watching a show or movie, or listening to music. I'll give you several ideas:

sp.yimg.com...
navajo spindle, often around 30 dollars.

I started with a dowel, and apple cut roughly 2/3rd shoved on the dowel, with a piece of waxed paper to protect the wool, and it could have a sharpened end and could even be put in a small pottery bowl on the floor. But mine was just a dowel and it worked. You can do the long draw, and create any size wool.

Its nice.

Of course a simple hand made fancier one is inexpensive too!

www.instructables.com...

But then you should build her a spinning wheel and a drum carder seriously. I got my plans off of etsy for both, inexpensive and plan on creating my own version. I'm into using paper mache, and even trying paper crete with cement and paper, maybe some hemp fibres. And experimenting with the weight required.

They have DIY builds on youtube but etsy has plans too.

Not overly expensive to make.

I used to spin and now have arthritis and am debating on the DIY electrics available. Used to have a lendrum.

sp.yimg.com...
These are under a 100, maid mirriam type spinning wheels, a step up from navajo.
edit on 11-12-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: TinySickTearsEvery knitter should have a yarn ball winder. It helps with storage of all those skeins of yarn. It turns them into balls of yarn. Then as she knits she pulls from the center of the ball. It keeps things neat and tidy.

that is a good idea. she has a ton of stash yarn all in skeins still. when she starts a project she rolls it into a ball and either throws it on the floor to unravel as she goes or she uses this thing that looks like an ice tea pitcher with a hole in the top. yarn ball goes in and end comes through the hole.
going to look into the winder.

i just bought her the 'master' knitting needle set with some wire # attached to it

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
went to the store today. they have a yarn winder there but it is 90 bucks. same one on walmart.com for 40.
gonna have to wait.
bought 25 skeins for her though.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Does she like vintage patterns and stitches? Sometimes you can find old issues of magazines like Workbasket and Crochet Magazine on Etsy and Ebay, as well as old pattern booklets. Just be aware that some are geared more towards yarn projects (like sweaters and afghans), and some toward thread (like doilies and collars). I have some of my Grandmother's old books and magazines, and I love finding old stitches for new projects. My daughter likes to make old patterns and give them a modern twist. If your wife likes decorating items with a crochet trim, you might look for edgings in particular, or whatever she might fancy -- afghans, or medallions/motifs (like granny squares).

It might be too late for Christmas now... but maybe worth remembering for her birthday?

top topics

join