It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More On Why The Bush Administration Shamefully Abandoned The Geneva Conventions...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
... and how they are rewarding the author of their torture authorization memos.

The link skewers Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General nominee. He will become just one more in a series of scapegoats, but as the rot has commenced at the top, so must it be removed.

White House counsel counsels White House. White House is responsible.
Who is responsible for White House?

www.kintera.org...[808DA652-D32D-4CDD-88F4-A3D3DB7866ED]/GONZALES%20AD.PDF

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I've been watching this and not surprisingly, I don't see the large outcry against him, I mean if we really care, our elected officials wouldn't confirm his nomination.

But from what I gathered from the various news sources, there will be some rumbling but he's still going to be confirmed as Attorney General if he hasn't been already. You can only hope that he never makes it as a supreme court judge.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
MaskedAvatar,

You have to understand that Mr.Bush friend here Mr.Alberto Gonzales the all to see case of how good you can make it in the US even if you are the son of illegal migrants has been Mr. Bush pal for many years they go back to when Mr. Bush was governor in Texas.

This man has covered Mr. Bush trail for a long time, and Mr. Bush owns him.

The controversy about the memos has been around for a while, but just like Rumsfeld, Mr. Gonzales has done his job for Mr. Bush and I am afraid that he will have more sinister deed to commit in the future.

Aschrof did many deeds for Mr. Bush but I think that his back ground of been a religious follower got to him and guiltiness took hold and that is why he resigned.

Now we have this Spanish Nazi to do in the justice department any biding that our war happy and torturer President may want and is going to be all legal thanks to him.

American should be very afraid of the changes to our laws that the dynamic duo is going to achieve in the next 4 years.

At the end "we the people" are going to become "we the losers"

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
So, I guess you guys think it's a good idea to legitimize and honor these terrorist by calling them Soldiers.

Screw that. Geneva Conventions are reserved for real Soldiers who are fighting on behalf of their country under command of the legal government of that country. True Soldiers wear uniforms or insignia to mark them as Soldiers. True Soldiers don't hide in churches and then bitch when the church gets shelled. True Soldiers don't hide behind women and children, or use them as forced combatents. True Soldiers don't graphically behead civillians and then publish the footage on the internet.

Do these terrorist follow the Geneva Conventions?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
What terrorists? the ones we created and breathed life into?

The ones we awakened with the bogus war?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

You would prefer that they were still in charge over there or kissing the butt of who was? Remember, when some of them were wearing Iraqi military uniforms, they were covered by the GCs and still would be if they had acted like true Soldiers.

This should be elementary. No one should expect the GCs to apply to anyone who doesn't apply them to others and conduct themselves accordingly. Fight like a Soldier, get treated like one. Fight like a merciless savage, get treated like one.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

So sad that most of the detainees in Guantanamo had not being charge with anything because the administration has not evidence to accuse them with.

And they will have to become prisoners for life with not due process and not laws, thanks to the new type of concentration camp Mr. Bush is making, not only for these people that are from other countries but also to the American citizens that will fall under the NWO and the patriot act.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
``

i'm of the mind that Judge Gonzales is up for the task of close, dogged
personal investigation..

i'm convinced he also is a 'driven individual'...or Higher Man,
along with Pres. GW Bush.

the popular cultures' altruistic, egalitarian, worldview....needs revised as much as the tax laws & Social Security. plato.stanford.edu...
(sorry, their server seems to cut-out)

Egos? Saviors? or what, check out;
plato.stanford.edu...

(wasn't the 3rd Reich to last for 1,000 years) yawn

[edit on 5-1-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
May I remind the intellectual elite here that the Geneva Conventions address the treatment of lawful combatants.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
May I remind the intellectual elite here that the Geneva Conventions address the treatment of lawful combatants.

May you cast yourself amongst the "intellectual elite" and define what is a lawful combatant for the purposes of (i) the Geneva Conventions and (ii) corrupt administrations who wish to legitimize torture.

And see if you yourself subscribe to the basic view of what the US stands for in the petition presented at the link.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Actually naming the Guantanamo detainees "non combatant" was the key to be out of any definition of the Geneva conventions rules.

As a "non combatant" and with the help of the patriot act, US can pretty much do whatever if wishes with these people.

And the administration pretty much got away with.

The problem? perhaps none when apply to "terrorist" but it will turn dangerous as soon its start to apply to rightful US citizens.

By the way I did research before on the new an improved US definition of "non combatant" status.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Has Al-Queda ever signed on to the Geneva Convention?

Should we invite Osama bin Laden to the White House and have a Rose Garden signing?

Even if all this did happen would the terrorist Al-Queda abide by the rules of the Geneva Convention?

We are not fighting another Geneva Convention following country. We are fighting terrorist. Why is this so hard to understand?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
We are not fighting another Geneva Convention following country. We are fighting terrorist. Why is this so hard to understand?

Because:

(1) The war on terrorism is predicated on lies and fabrications; and

(2) The USA subscribes to the Geneva Conventions and ought to uphold them.

As marg points out, more and more will come under the umbrella of "terrorism" through the fake, trumped-up P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Acts, that will give the US potential to have a domestic human rights record far worse than China's.

Continue to believe your government's lies and applaud its actions, no matter how criminal and corrupt, good citizen.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Mythical things cannot sign.
Whats hard to understand about this?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
MaskedAvatar,
Now we have this Spanish Nazi to do in the justice department any biding that our war happy and torturer President may want and is going to be all legal thanks to him.

Marg,
Could you be a little clearer on the term "Spanish Nazi"? That sounds like a very serious title. Do you have any links that we could look at? I think I understand the "Spanish" part, but where did the "Nazi" come from?

As for "war happy and torturer President" I understand that this is just the way that you view President Bush.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Mythical things cannot sign.
Whats hard to understand about this?

OK, now Al-Queda is a myth
So 9/11 was just a fairy tale....Once upon a time....?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
Marg,
Could you be a little clearer on the term "Spanish Nazi"? That sounds like a very serious title. Do you have any links that we could look at? I think I understand the "Spanish" part, but where did the "Nazi" come from?

As for "war happy and torturer President" I understand that this is just the way that you view President Bush.

No, actions speak better than words and for the nazi, well Bush family have a very nice track of dealings with nazi germany in the times of Grandaddy Prescott after all the files are for public viewing. He make quite a fortune.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Because:

(1) The war on terrorism is predicated on lies and fabrications; and

(2) The USA subscribes to the Geneva Conventions and ought to uphold them.

As marg points out, more and more will come under the umbrella of "terrorism" through the fake, trumped-up P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Acts, that will give the US potential to have a domestic human rights record far worse than China's.

Continue to believe your government's lies and applaud its actions, no matter how criminal and corrupt, good citizen.

The war on terrorism is predicated on 8 years of Clinton doing nothing against terrorism.

The Geneva Convention only applies to lawfull combatants. Terrorist do not have the right to the Geneva Convention.

You go ahead and want to protect the "rights" of terrorist, and continue to blame America 1st. I'll continue to trust and back my Commander and Chief.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ah, so when your arguments fail, you attempt to change the nature of the subject being discussed. We're talking about the conduct of the war, not if the war was right or not. It on. We're in it. This is about how we're going to fight it and how we're going to treat this particular enemy as we're defeating them.

Mythical things cannot sign

That the best you got? Hehehe. Ok, assume for the minute that they do exist. Do you think they would sign the GCs or bring a bomb to the signing ceremony?

My original question was: Do terrorists follow the GCs? Well, since you all pulled a Kerry and sidestepped it, I'll take that an admission that we can all acknowledge that they don't.

This current stink about this issue is all political anyway. It is being raised so that the Democrats will have some excuse for further obstructionism.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The topic of this thread is the links of Mr. Gonzales and the memos authorizing the torture of human beings under the status of "non combatant" withholding any Geneva conventions laws.

Now I will like to see how any of you Mr. Bush supporters feel about having a Justice department appointee that agree with the torture of other human being?

I forgot they are just third countries "terrorist" even when the government can not find a link yet.

Now, how do you feel if this same Justice department appointee will rule over us with the help of the patriot act so we can be torture too even having US citizen status.

Mr. Gonzales has not regard for the laws being a law man himself, he is to satisfy Mr. Bushes agenda and that is it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join