It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How popular is Irn Bru outside of the UK?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lol

I've been doing it since I was about 10.

Built up 18 years of immunity now.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Personally i detest the stuff , sweet and sickly ....not for me, obviously has a good following but please dont waft it under my nose!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I've seen it in supermarkets occasionally here in Australia. It's VERY expensive though - about $3 for a can when coke is around $1.50 so I've never bothered, but I was always curious though.

Here in South Australia, the top selling drink is not even a soda . It's Farmers Union Iced Coffee. Like Irn Bru, Coke have been desperate to get their dirty little hands on it, have even tried to run them out of business by marketing an alternative brand, but FUIC remains number one.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

How the # do you stay thin? lol

I love the stuff, even the diet version tastes good, well for a diet drink anyway.

I saw a video on Youtube a couple years ago of an American guy trying it, he just kept smacking his chops whilst say yea ... yea, with a strange look on his face

Remember Tizer? that was by Barr too, but they changed the taste a few years ago, now it tastes like Witch piss, but it used to be so good, and also unique like Irn Bru.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Original Tizer, superb drink also Ciderkin was a pleasure, these old fashioned drinks should reappear. would be serious competition! Last time i drank ciderkin was probably 50/55 years ago, but never forgotten............... may have been a local drink to my area?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

I also eat 4 pizzas a week and never exercise...

Must be my metabolism.

Although... My cholesterol is very high apparently after a blood test last week.

They've prescribed some junk that I won't be collecting let alone taking.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I never heard of that soda.

www.google.com...

This is the only soda that tempts me. I crave it sometimes, but try to stick to iced tea or lime water.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Mmmm, witch piss.

a reply to: nonspecific

Why has this thread not got a million flags for the god-given beverage that is Bru? Some of the loveliest stuff in the world, and despite what some so-called doctors will tell you, it does cure a hangover in under an hour.

(of bru)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

Mmmm, witch piss.

Why has this thread not got a million flags for the god-given beverage that is Bru? Some of the loveliest stuff in the world, and despite what some so-called doctors will tell you, it does cure a hangover in under an hour.

(of bru)

I just had a day dream of marrying you and putting a couple of straws into an Irn Bru bottle instead of having a dance...

As is tradition in the highlands, so my Scottish dad tells me.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

That it is laddie, then we'll birl roond the heather and spend the night by the fire, in the croft. With our 2 litre plastic bottle of Irn Bru.

Ciamar a tha thu?, to your lovely Dad!

B x

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I'm so jelly ... you're lucky!

When I look at a Pizza, I gain half a stone

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Mmmm? lol Bleh

Damn, what a wedding night .... Irn Bru wedding

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Pure class, so it is!
Well, if I ever meet you I will know you by your teeth, fellow Bru drinker.

That's how we get them so 'Scottish'.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Hahaha

Mouth wide open, you'll not miss me

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

You can get Irn Bru fairly regularly here in Iceland, though the stock doesn't last long once my fellow ex-pats catch wind of it. I miss Barr's cola and Orangina more though.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Well now, I have always suffered from a sweet tooth and IRN BRU not the false versions but Barr's original is still my second favourite soft drink ousted into second place by Bar's own limited edition extra hot version which had ginger extract to give it more of a bite but which is a bitch to find south of the border.

I seem to remember a story about a north African Arab/North African entrepreneur whom had fallen in love with IRN BRU and saw a business opportunity as Cola was of course seen as an American brand and of course for some in that part of the world anti American sentiment is almost a religious fervour and so he began importing it in bulk with his sales starting to grow exponentially back in the 90's, you know Cola addict's well this guy was an IRN BRU addict, I remember this because when I saw it on TV it made me chuckle, he had a little flat bed pick up loading with crates of the stuff at first and was going around giving samples to people to try in order to earn new customers and like the old Alpine soft drink's here in the UK he mostly delivered to his customers a little like a milkman.

Now for those whom have not tried it, well IRN BRU is a very popular mixer for whisky up in old Caledonia though I have to admit that though I seldom drink whisky I prefer my whisky straight even though I don't drink and I am of course only talking about that when I use whisky for medicinal purpose such as sore throat's etc, strong whisky neat kill's most bug's.

Nothing beat's IRN BRU as a soft drink especially when it is ice cold but it does have one disadvantage and that is that it is not as good at cleaning the toilette (loo, crapper, dunny if you are confused as Toilette in UK tends to mean that rather than a lady's make up parlour) as Cola is and it may actually have more Caffeine even that cola though of this fact I am not certain but like Cola caffeine is a major ingredient of IRN BRU and hence it's use for hangover's, late night's as a pick me up etc.

Lastly for anyone wanting to taste it do not try cheap knock off's such as supermarket brand's (Morrison's, Tesco etc) as they simply do not taste the same at all and would give you a false impression perhaps even putting you off trying the real thing as some of them are awful and before I forget IRN BRU is of course mildly addictive just like Cola due to the Caffeine content within it.
edit on 6-12-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I never heard of it, but I want to track some down just because the commercials were awesome. Why can't we have awesome commercials in the states?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join