It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio Wants Gun Owners To 'Take Down' Mass Shooters

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz
It seems that this supposed Isis linked act of terror has hardened the resolve for many Americans to keep their Guns. We know the police can not protect us from this type of Terror. So it seems to me like a bad time for Gun Legislation. Unless they want a civil war, cause I dont see Americans giving them up very easy.
edit on 4-12-2015 by misskat1 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

As I said in another thread, this is a multi-front political nightmare scenario for those pushing gun grab. They can't afford it now, and the backlash, which would be enormous in the BEST of political climates, would be off the Richter scale if they tried it now.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So do you think that is a good idea? Because I don't.

I'd take my chances at stopping someone mowing people down, good shot or not, if I had to. How could you possibly live with yourself if you didn't?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I plan on carrying after taking the concealed handgun 6 hour class next Saturday (followed by a shooting test Wednesday)...
I will only take it to the movies because if some idiot comes in shooting I want a fighting chance....

It is completely heartbreaking that living in what I thought to be the greatest manifestation of western ideals has now devolved into me needing a 357 magnum to go watch a movie to feel safe...

-Christosterone

In some states, you don't need to take a class; just $10 and a week wait for a background check and you're good for 4 years. Out here where this is the case, I trust most people who choose to carry 'cause like another posted on this thread, guns are tools in this region.

The thought that someone would start shootin' up the place at the local movie house or at the Super-WallyWorld is that it is a fairly remote possibility to begin with, however, if it did occur, the locals would take care of it LONG before the police could get there. As one policeman here put it, "just ensure that you articulate your shot."

BTW, according to 2014 data, 1 in 12 in this state have CC permits and you betcha a good portion of them carry in movie houses and when shopping! For that reason, I feel MUCH safer here than in any large city.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: Christosterone

******if movies simply instituted metal detectors it would (probably) solve my issue...as I only plan on carrying to the movies with my wife so we can watch films with at least the thought we will have a fighting chance if a psychopath decides to start shooting

That would be an excellent idea, because like it or not there is a problem with mass shootings. Don't let anyone bring a gun to the cinema in the first place.

SO, the only armed person there would be the terrorist who charged in through a jimmied exit door or the lobby? Go ahead and sit there like a sheep, buddy. I won't go to ANY movie theatre or store unless I can carry.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

How about working on efforts to fix gun culture so that people don't go on shooting rampages all the time

And in the mean time? Just how long are we supposed to wait for these pipe dreams to come true? How long are we supposed to wander around defenseless? How many have to just cower and die when the bad guys come calling? Like another poster said, I'd rather get hit by a stray from someone actually trying to stop it, than have the scum get me. Those of us who conceal carry, don't think it's high noon in the Old West. We don't just start blazing away and empty the mag. If I don't have a clear shot, I'm going to move to a better vantage point, not mow down the folks in my line of fire. You want to make it sound like the average gun owner/concealed carry is as wild as the bad guys. Pray and Spray is not how we train and not how we look to solve the problem. Most of us are damn good marksmen [ and women ] and We Hit What We Aim At.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Untrained gun owner returning fire.

So you shoot at someone with a gun shooting at people
(but it turns out it was just another gun nutter like you shooting at who they thought the criminal was)
then someone else starts shooting at you
(as they think you are a criminal just wildly shooting at people)

etc etc.

That will certainly turn out well! Poor Joe will probably be in jail soon anyway!

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Ah, the old circular firing squad theory of concealed carry. When has that ever actually happened in the real world involving law-abiding gun owners?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I tend to think that a lot of gun owners view themselves as a hero in a movie, the delusional thought that they will hit whatever they shoot at while the bad guy misses.

I wish people would understand that shooting in movies is a not an actual representation of real life. So shooting in a crowd is more dangerous than helpful. No responsible gun owner should to do this or advocate it.

What would your explanation be if you injure or kill an innocent bystander in an effort to stop an apparent mass shooter?

edit on 4-12-2015 by theonenonlyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The police cannot protect the people involved during the genesis of such a situation unless they are on scene when it happens. Of course that is rare.

While we are usually able to respond to an active shooter situation within minutes, by that time you and your family (along with others) may be dead.

I can't believe anybody would be against affording somebody an equal opportunity to defend themselves from such an attack.

That in itself should be criminal. It truly disgusts me.
edit on 4-12-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Hehehe, fools, 250,000 are the registered gun owners, silly.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I am SO safe when in Arizona. I sleep like a baby, and have always respected Arizonians to know when to hold em, know when to scold em. ALL of the people I know are ready to defend this country and every life here. Proud and brave, silent and prepared at a moments notice. America is not the sheet hole you people think it is, we have our ways and do not just jump blindly into chaos and confusion but wait patiently for the call to honor protect and serve.

Joe has balls of cold hard steel!
edit on pm1231pmFri, 04 Dec 2015 17:32:44 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

Hehehe, fools, 250,000 are the registered gun owners, silly.

That's probably just in Maricopa County!

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone
I tend to think that a lot of gun owners view themselves as a hero in a movie, the delusional thought that they will hit whatever they shoot at while the bad guy misses.

I wish people would understand that shooting in movies is a not an actual representation of real life. So shooting in a crowd is more dangerous than helpful. No responsible gun owner should to do this or advocate it.

What would your explanation be if you injure or kill an innocent bystander in an effort to stop an apparent mass shooter?

I'm surprised that movies do not reflect reality. I thought that two shots from a 9mm pistol [held sideways, of course] would cause a two ton car to leap into the air and explode in a ball of fire. Thanks for the inside info.

As to shooting at a terrorist in a crowd, after the first few shots from the terrorist many people will be on the ground or running away minimizing the risk to them from defensive fire. No responsible person with any weapon would allow a terrorist to shoot into a crowd without trying to stop it. "Apparent" shooters firing into a crowd are a bit more than apparent and doing anything to try to prevent it would be an acceptable risk.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

If you kill and innocent bystander what would you say to your the family? I'm sorry it was" an acceptable risk".

Then your charged with murder of said bystander, would that excuse fly in court? I do not think so.

I wonder about the phrase "guns save lives" because it is apparent they have taken more lives than actually saved.

Not anti gun, but am anti irresponsible people owning guns. One thing to consider, in the middle of this fictitious fire fight, who is to say another gun owner will not get involved and opens fire on you mistaking you for the shooter, what then?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Hey may get his wish, is going to be a lot of vigilantes patrolling the streets after what happen in California.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

If you kill and innocent bystander what would you say to your the family? I'm sorry it was" an acceptable risk".

Then you're charged with murder of said bystander, would that excuse fly in court? I do not think so.

I wonder about the phrase "guns save lives" because it is apparent they have taken more lives than actually saved.

Not anti gun, but am anti irresponsible people owning guns. One thing to consider, in the middle of this fictitious fire fight, who is to say another gun owner will not get involved and opens fire on you mistaking you for the shooter, what then?

If I did nothing, I could dodge the responsibility altogether by escaping [if I could] while others are slaughtered thus saving ammunition and not taking any chance that someone else may be hit by my return fire. Maybe I should wait until I am personally in extremis and let others suffer until that moment. Do you think I am irresponsible by posting what I did? Do you think I am unable to make rational decisions and minimize risk to others?

As to the "circular firing squad" problem, I do not plan to be in blackout gear with an assault rifle randomly shooting people. I can only hope that anyone else who gets involved will recognize who the threat is and not take a shot at some geezer firing from low cover. [Low cover also allows the shot to climb and minimize risk to those at ground level should it miss. This is situation dependent, of course.]

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Well you certainly aren't asking for much in order to save the day.

First people must duck and cover, people run out of your way and for another person to not mistake you for the shooter and for the real shooter to not shoot you if you miss or even have the chance.

I say good luck with that scenario if one should arise. Let me know how it turns out. You do realize you just described a movie scenario where everything goes right for the hero.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Well you certainly aren't asking for much in order to save the day.

First people must duck and cover, people run out of your way and for another person to not mistake you for the shooter and for the real shooter to not shoot you if you miss or even have the chance.

I say good luck with that scenario if one should arise. Let me know how it turns out. You do realize you just described a movie scenario where everything goes right for the hero.

You are casting me as the hero because you must think that is my intent. Alas, I must disappoint you. My only intent would be to either stop the gunman by wounding or delay his/her onslaught so that people can escape. My hero days faded in 1970; I am much more cautious and pragmatic, now; hence the low cover and fighting retreat.
It is not out of the realm of possibility that those who don't duck and cover will either be moving away from the shooter or will be shot. I don't expect too many people to stand around the gunner, do you? You may call that part of a movie scenario but I would say it is a likely series of events. As to being shot by other defenders, I will not be the one standing with a rifle shooting at targets of opportunity, so it is unlikely that I would be targeted by others, but possible. A scenario where I am one of the first ones shot is also a possibility. That makes for a shorter movie for you and says that my fate would be the same as those waiting in vain to be saved by the authorities.

The likelihood of being caught up in one of these events is vanishingly small, so it will probably turn out not to be a movie at all.
If you are caught up in such an event, you may wait for the highly trained special operators that you desire or run for it. I say good luck with that scenario if one should arise. Let me know how it turns out.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
I'm surprised that movies do not reflect reality. I thought that two shots from a 9mm pistol [held sideways, of course] would cause a two ton car to leap into the air and explode in a ball of fire. Thanks for the inside info.

As to shooting at a terrorist in a crowd, after the first few shots from the terrorist many people will be on the ground or running away minimizing the risk to them from defensive fire. No responsible person with any weapon would allow a terrorist to shoot into a crowd without trying to stop it. "Apparent" shooters firing into a crowd are a bit more than apparent and doing anything to try to prevent it would be an acceptable risk.

Just saying, if I were going to shoot up a crowded area and the statistics were something like 2 in 10 people have concealed weapons, I would be bringing a lot more than an automatic weapon to the event. Things like tear gas and grenades in order to keep wide areas of people down would be in the plan. Better yet, I would plant a bomb and avoid the gunfight.

If it were a smaller place (like a small store you're robbing), the obvious move is to get everyones hands up, and then shoot them all, so that none can draw a weapon.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join