It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass shootings and the blind spot of society

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I've noticed (among other things) a myopic attitude towards the recent events of violence and mass murder.

Pundits, politicians, regular people are focusing on the HOW. Not the WHY.

They are focusing on HOW people have killed others. They talk of banning guns, more control of guns, regulating guns.

What they are ignoring is WHY people are doing it in the first place.

I figure, if you solve the WHY (they are doing it) then the HOW becomes meaningless. We need to discover the WHY. We need to solve the WHY.

If we only focus on the HOW then things like this will continue.

WHY did the couple kill those people in California? WHY did that man kill those people in Colorado? We need to solve the WHY.

When I see people focusing on the HOW, then I almost have to assume that they simply want guns banned for reasons other than protecting the public. When I see politicians focusing on the HOW, I see them as short-sighted people who just want more control over the rest of us.

It's like solving the drug problem by banning needles from everywhere, even hospitals. It doesn't address the WHY, it only focuses on the HOW.

Anyways, just thought I bring this up because I really don't see the media or our "leaders" doing it.

Thanks for reading.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's the problem the world over. Why?

Because...

1) Whys do not sell papers or make sensationalist stories the media can sell us and fire us up with = control of the population.

2) If we looked at the 'whys' then we'd have to sensibly look at mental illness - that doesn't fit in with the agenda of the media, government and corporations. It's better for us to not understand, hate the individual and get angry.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thanks for sharing this - I think you are right on the money. and14263 is right, "whys" don't make for good headlines. People like the "juicy" details, and don't want to get into the underlying reasons as much.

People would rather get the simple answers and not to have to think too hard about it. People also like hearing the media/politicians tell them HOW they should FEEL. It's so sad, we NEED to look at the WHY, but that isn't a profitable approach, so it's up to folks like us to have that dialogue and hope to make positive change

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Because if we looked at the WHY, we would have to completely reverse course on the "ME ME ME" that has been indoctrinated for the past 20+ years into our kids

Every University

Every Public School

Every program designed to placate a persons ego and make them feel "special" and not prepare them for the realities that the world is going to slam them with

We have replaced Morals, Right and Wrong, Hard work, and the value of life with "Whats in it for me' "WHAT ABOUT ME!" "Give me my
participation trophy!"

Educators have stopped teaching HOW to think and started teaching WHAT to think

No one wants to look at this, this has been systematic and now we are reaping what has been sewn as a society
edit on 12/3/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What is your take on WHY? You complain but don't offer anything yourself...just point fingers!

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
What is your take on WHY? You complain but don't offer anything yourself...just point fingers!

whats your take, you didnt offer anything put point a finger at the OP

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Because nobody knows Why. The world is so complex with with competing ideologies that it isn't definable.

There are no easy answers. Simple minds latch on to simple solutions out of desperation and ignorance.

"it's Gods will" seem to be a popular reason eh?
edit on 3-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Because nobody knows Why. The world is so complex with with competing ideologies that it isn't definable.

There are no easy answers.

I agree there are no easy answers, but I do not agree that nobody knows WHY

I think people know why, they just dont want to address it because its hard

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

See your inconsistency?

Now it's your turn...

You tell us WHY!

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Why? This is easy. Religion.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Now it's your turn...

You tell us WHY! SATAN?

literally like 3 posts up.....

Nice assumption there though, preconceived notions much?

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

2nd line.

you mean the same religion that brought a whole city together, and had people flying from all over the country to join them in hymns and healing, after the shootings in a black church in SC?

That had them walking in the streets and telling the shooter they forgave him, even those whose family members were murdered by him

"religion" is such a copout

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Now it's your turn...

You tell us WHY! SATAN?

literally like 3 posts up.....

Nice assumption there though, preconceived notions much?

ok, Answer the question...WHY

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

2nd line.

you mean the same religion that brought a whole city together, and had people flying from all over the country to join them in hymns and healing, after the shootings in a black church in SC?

That had them walking in the streets and telling the shooter they forgave him, even those whose family members were murdered by him

"religion" is such a copout

The result of a tragedy. People always come together.

Religion is why these idiots think their righteous enough to go through with the acts and that they'll be saved at the end. Robert Dear thought he could get away with anything. As long as he confessed to Christ at the end, he was saved. That includes Rape, Animal Abuse and Murder now apparently..
edit on 3-12-2015 by TheAmazingYeti because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I don't know WHY. It is a tough question to answer. It's a tough question to tackle.

Which is WHY most tend to avoid the tough questions.

It doesn't fit into a 30 second sound bite.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
To me its clear there is a problem during the early years of these people, it may be lack of proper education, perhaps not a well structured family core, its hard to say what is it but there must be something.

Then there is also the possibility some people are simple broken and faulty from the start, and its just how they are, blaming education, blaming families always fail to point out that these degenerates are ultimately responsible of their actions.

And of course, we are being bombarded constantly with a propaganda that everything is wrong and the world is going to # in every possible aspect of it, and some people may be more affected by this constant reminder of negativity and react badly to it.

Perhaps a percentage of humans is just crazy in a way that will snap and do harms to others, in any way they could, being a mass murderer with guns, a mass murderer with knifes, trowing acid to a poor woman, being an abusive wife/husband, and no matter the education, economical status, or the exposition to propaganda, they will be crappy human beings and others will try to push their own agenda on their acts, fully knowing that it really does not matter if they snap or not due to what they blame it for, because its important that any crisis don't go to waste.

In any case, i think a better education trying to form kids with a more analytical thinking, morals, and perhaps having more chances to progress in life would not harm in any way and maybe even prevent some of them to snap.
edit on 3-12-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I don't know WHY. It is a tough question to answer. It's a tough question to tackle.

Then WHY point fingers at the MSM for not telling us WHY. THEY DON'T KNOW either. HOW is all they got....

Fill in the blank....Seeking easy answers to complex questions is the sign of a __________.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So because nobody knows why, we shouldn't be asking questions? Deny ignorance.

MK Ultra

Just kidding...

edit on 3-12-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Then WHY point fingers at the MSM for not telling us WHY. THEY DON'T KNOW either. HOW is all they got....

Fill in the blank....Seeking easy answers to complex questions is the sign of a __________.

Because the media is who should be investigating the why, rather than driving opinions for or against the how.

"They killed them with guns."
"Thanks Brokaw."

The constant focus on how isn't a new problem, attempting to ban guns to stop violence is the same as trying to ban alcohol to stop intoxication. History states that prohibition doesn't work, so focusing on the how in this manner is little more than an act of masturbation.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Pretty any thinking brain knows why. These people are bat# crazy is why with thinking that is outside the norm. There is a huge mental health crisis going on right now. So bad so that the very medication that a person takes that has been prescribed to him can just make things worse. Couple that with the fact that people are mad and a lot have issues with making things meet. It is a recipe for disaster when you have the voice of media screaming in their ears messages of division and hate.

Did you know that when we entered WWII and males signed up to go to war, 48% of the males taken to fight that war had mental issues? Not a good base to draw from is it? Also, people remember those as "the good old days".

It just boils down to "the world has gone crazy" and society mirroring that fact. No wonder great minds like Freud and Vonnegut thought mankind as a sort of disease. They were probably right.

You could make all the laws you want. Take away everyone's guns and you know what? Violence will still happen. People will still find ways to kill another, sometimes en masse. Some will even ENJOY the killing.

It is what it is... humanity is flawed in some pretty screwed up ways. I get the feeling that there won't be anyone around in 1000 years from now to dig us up and ponder what a great civilization we were.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join