It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami: missing Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
ok,

I've heard the numbers a few places.
under 100 Americans killed..but THOUSANDS missing.
It seems a little odd.
The number of missing was even larger at first, but the number has been pared down by cross checking of different lists, much like they did after 911.

The discrepancy seems REALLY large to me.

Here is a related article from MSNBC..the article is a about a day old, from the time of this post.
thousand missing

Has anyone else heard or read similar stories?
This one really strikes me as odd!

Fixed link, thanks Koka

[edit on 5-1-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Why exactly do you focus on this little ass issue.. I personaly find it deicraceful that the select few from each country should get their own mention...above the other 150 000!

I listen to the news often, and lately over here, there has been many phrases such as:

"The UN believes that the actual number will be somewhere close to 150, 000...... 13! AUSTRALIANS ARE NOW CONFIFMED DEAD, if you require more information visit our website..." Etc.

I find it appauling that after such dealings with Racism over the last century, that many countries still let their tens of people stand out above the other 150,000 !

If they were to say:
"140 000 dead, among them 13 australians" Fine, but
"140 000 dead, including 13 australians are confirmed dead. It must have been devistating for them to experience such devestation in a forign country. The Australian government is going to bring the survivors "x" ammout of supplies in "x" form, and will focus on getting the alive australians out of there as soon as possible if requested." Is another thing.

The day before, I saw a news update, COMPLETELY on the 13 australian victums. 3 minutes about THEM, THEM above the othre 150 000. I keep mentionning this fugure, because even mathematically, it is extremely insignificant....

I don't think this mention is justifyable.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Mishka,

It's not a little a$$ issue, as you say.
And for your information, I grieve for ALL VICTIMS of this tragedy.

I hope, maybe that you just mis-understood my post.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, for now.

What I mean is, It's been well over a week. And a lot of people from Lots of countries have not been heard from.

It's the number of confirmed deaths, versus the number of MISSING, that I am referring to..The numbers are so DIFFERENT.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
ja alright apologies spacedoubt, mishkas new to this, he just took your concern as disregard for the others killed..

Mish i agree with you mate about the Australian Media's coverage, but hey i guess thats what brings in the ratings, on A Current Affair they did a 15 minute report how 1 Australian family went over there and adopted a few kids, i guess everyone does what they can. atleast all the channels are putting away ratings worries when they broadcast the same thing all night, um i'm not sure the date of it but its going to be live in 27 countries so thats somthing i guess.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
spacedoubt, your link seems to be pointing toward an image of the Mars Rover.

As for the numbers missing as opposed to confirmed dead.

The media always exagerates figures according to how sensational they need to make their story.

And as for racism.

Local media will focus on local people, it's not a case of believing one person is more important than another. People have stories to tell and if there is common factor that unites the reader with the story, it will be used. In this case, their country of origin, media of all countries do it.

Having said that, I also agree with you, I often complain about the reporting standards when various atrocities occur and their inability to report in equal measures.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
It's the opposite here in the US, from what I have seen so far.
The number of Us citizens killed is not mentioned much.
Usually, in times like this..the American victims are front and center in the reports. Like you are mentioning in Australia.

However, they are interviewing a lot of survivors. With stories of how they escaped death, things like that.

Theres something ODD about it..

It's almost like they (whoever THEY are) don't want the number to be larger than the 911 terrorist attack. Which was a bit over 3000.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
At first I heard 3,000 Americans missing.
I now am hearing 5,000 Americans missing.
There probably won't be an accurate figure
for many many months. It'll take a very long
time to get lists compared to other lists etc.etc.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
localities stress the number of their members involved in tragedies to make the news more new-worthy to their listeners. it is not that they value the lives of their own more than the other 150,000, but that they want to make their own at home turn the volume up a little and peek over their TV guide and watch instead of thinking that the tragedy involves all sorts of "other" people and not them and their people. a tiny re-assertion of fact to make people listen, that's all.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by fledgling666]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
fledgling666,

I agree with the localities idea.
But what about the original question?
Why the huge discrepancy in the number of missing, versus the number
confirmed dead..

As Flyersfan mentioned, the number of missing has grown somewhat.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well spacedoubt, I just dont think that a 5:1 mention of any single nationality compared o the whole figure is justifyable.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sorry you don't get it Mishka.
Thanks anyway

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Dont get it? You don't have too much practice in these do you? The purpose in a debate is to display your own thoughts in the hope that the other party will understand what you mean and possibly modify Their viewpoint. By this principle, I'm sorry that you dont get it.
Also, as I have said before:
A mention such as "150 000 is the figure expected by the end of the week, 13 of them Australian. Find out more on our site"etc. is fine. But "150 000 are presumed dead by the end of the week. 13 of which are Australian citizens enjoying their holidays. The Australian government is doing al it can to get the Australian survivors back home safely. This is truely a bleak day for Australia." etc. etc.
Can you see the comparison?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
What debate are you talking about...?
I didn't ask for a debate.

I asked a question...

Why is there such a discrepancy between the number of confirmed dead Americans, and the number of MISSING AMERICANS?

You came in with a big fat CHIP on your shoulder, because of the way AUSTRAILIA is handling the news.

You didn't even read the link I provided...I know this, because I had the WRONG LINK up accidentally..Koka pointed that out for me..
And I fixed it..Had you READ the link, you would have noticed as well..

Here is another link

And another

And yet another

It's not that I don't care about the others who were killed for Crying out loud!

It's that it looks like something is being hidden from Americans..DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME NOW?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You didn't ask for one, but that's what you turned it into.
I displayed my opinion on a matter with relation to this thread, sue me.
I wasn't reffering to AUstralia only ,because I am certain that other countries do the same thing.

top topics

join