It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Personal confession: I've never seen Star Trek

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Binge watch online

I dunno

I'm a Trekkie

For me I'd watch in the following

Original Series, it's movies

Then TNG, it's movies

I liked Voyager and Enterprise so they'd be next

and finally Deep Space nine. For me, it was just "OK"

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I've never even seen Star Wars and people think I am a sinner LOL
My fav movies are the back to the future series.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I've never even seen Star Wars

The room get's uncomfortably silent.....

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I've never even seen Star Wars

The room get's uncomfortably silent.....

LOL. Actually when the series first aired in the 1960's it was a bit over my head. I was more into Lost In Space.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I'd say start with the original TV series and movies for the real "old school" experience. I would also say that with the movies, the even numbered ones are the best ones with "Wrath of Khan" being probably the best of all. The odd numbered Trek movies range from meh to awful - I'm looking at you "Search for God" (not its actual name, but that's more or less what it is).

Then, I'd move on to The Next Generation. Again the even numbered movies are still the best ones here with "First Contact" being hands down the best.

If you only watch two Trek movies, see Wrath of Khan and First Contact.

As for the reboots, if you only watch three Trek Movies, I would add the first reboot by JJ Abrams to that film list.

If you are into binge watching TV, I would say go with the original series to give an idea of what started it all and then pick up The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 because those are really the best.

As for anything else, you can add it in as your tastes and inclinations lead you to it. Personally, I have always loved "Save the Whales" (Star Trek #4 movie just for its fun value).

NOTE: If you just watch the movies, they will assume that you are familiar with certain things. This is particularly so in First Contact. The other two movies you can have a an easier time dropping yourself into.

edit on 27-11-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
At the beginning of course......

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yep, start with the original series. Understand that it is a product of its time (but it still holds up).

Then, Star Trek, Next Generation.

Skip the movies at first. The first Trek movie is just....awful. Though the second and fourth movies are pretty good (and each stand on their own).

If it really sucks you in, can then try Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and ugh, even Enterprise...but my advice is to quit with the above (then see the first new Star Trek movie by JJ Abrams.)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

Star Trek: Enterprise the series (imho).

Actually, he should. For a canon-accurate historical progression perspective, I'd begin with Enterprise if he wants a feel for how the UFP began, then go to TOS (< shudders > If he must) Then TNG, DS9 & Voyager.
Quick edit: And yes, I know ENT is considered by many to be shoe-horning explanations in to fill holes in canon, but they do work.

As far as series to avoid, well, I hate TOS. Cannot stand it. Others love it, but I just can't love it at all. Horrendously bad writing, costuming, Shatner acting. It's what the Razzies were concocted too late for.
For the sake of understanding later series references and homages, yeah, you can't really skip it lest you're ok with things going over your head to a degree. Not the end of the world, but it will help some series' references make sense.

Movies, I can honestly say I've seen them all & my favorite is ST4 (The Voyage Home, aka Whaaales Innnn Spaaace) The one I really don't care to see again unless I'm bored enough is actually a tie between Insurrection & Nemesis. Both have their moments, and both have their weak points. Neither are particularly bad, but not that outstanding, either.

If I have to be utterly honest, TNG's first 2 seasons were awful. I flinch through most of the episodes when I rewatch. It's my favorite series out of all of them, but man, that series had a rough start with the writing...
edit on 1/21/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join