It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beginning of the End..of the World

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by creamsoda
I do not know what the name is of this great philosopher, but I remember hearing a story about a man writing a story about two towers that will be exploded and blown up in a time around the time that they did blow up.

Coincidences like this are not unknown.

Here are two quite famous examples.

Wreck of the Titan was written 14 years before the Titanic sank, if you read it there are some astonishing parallels between the book and the actual Titanic disaster.

Also there was a book called
The Great Pacific War: A History of the American-Japanese Campaign of 1931-33 that virtually fortold how the Japanese would attack Pearl Harbour and also detailed the US plan to island hop all the way to Japan. Sometimes these thing seem to be fortold but they are just examples of coinsidence.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Unfortunately, when one argues there has been an increase in earthquake and volcanic activity, it can be negated by saying it's not the increase in earthquake and volcanic activity, but an increase in how many can be detected.

No, its a matter of there not being an increase, period. Not that there are more but its assumed that thats because of better detection techniques.

I cannot ignore the warning by the scientists, sorry.

What scientists are stating this?

To ignore them would be very very complacent.

To live in paranoia would be silly. I, for what its worth, will not 'watch, wait, worry'.Certainly not at least until there is some reason. Earthquakes, nasty weather, volcanic eruptions, they are a part of the continuous processes of the earth.

What do you think if India, Pakistan and China went to nuclear war? Would it have a stabalizing or destabalizing effect on the world?

Destablizing in the short term certainly, but not globally destructive. I find the prospect of millions dying rather distasteful, and anything that can be done to prevent it shoudl be done, but ultimately a real catastrophic war in that part of the world will most likely result in longer term stability for the region. Europe had to go thru a series of 'world wars' and internal wars and colonial wars before it reached the state its in now. The restof the world will problably have to go thru much of the same independently.

However, the chances of india and pakistan having full blown war is much reduced because of their nukes. Why would the indian governement want to go to nuke war over kashmir, when they'd have to know that they, personally, stand a very good chance of being vapourized in the provess? The same goes for pakistan. Musharraf seems to a conservative, not a powermonger. He isn't even very interested in invading and controlling waziristan, let alone going to nuke war with india and dying in the process. As for china, its communist, and therefore won't be allowed to expand on iotia by the anglo-american 'alliance'.

Super volcanos

Will affect at most a region of the planet, and thats in rather unusual circumstances, c.f. the Deccan Traps eruptions, but not destroy the planet. I agree, it'd be a bad show, but not the end of the world.

Ice age

The Scandanavians and Icelanders seem to do well enough living in an ice age climate. I suspect india and south america and basically everything outside of europe and part of the northern US will do well enough.

Pole shift

An actual geomagnetic pole shift -might- result in an increase in celestial radiation reaching the planet, tho it doesn't seemed to have had catastrophic effects the hundreds of other times that it happened. As for a 'skin of the earth rotating around the mantle', well, there's simply not reason to think its going to happen.

Tsunamis are produced by earthquakes and submarine landslides. Both of these tsunami generators occur all the time. Natural disasters that kill thousands are not supernatural. Infact, this tsunami disaster isn't the biggest catastrophe in the past hundred years, heck in the past 50 years. Its not even the second biggest natural disaster.

How do you know earthquakes and submarine landslides are not caused by something else that we affect.

Because there is evidence of them happening throughout the past when man wasn't even around. And what exactly could man be doing that 'triggers' earthquakes, especially ones that wouldn't have happened without that 'influence'? And landslides, man probably has nothign to do with submarine ones, although defoliation certainly can be considered responsible for some of the ones that happen on the surface. They're hardly going to 'end the world' tho.

However, that is hardly the point. I don't think anyone can trivialise the recent Sumatra episode. It was one of the most destructive events in the last century.

One of many yes. I have done nothing to trivialize it. I have merely pointed out that there is nothing about it that was unusual.

If another were to occur in just a time frame of a few years. That would definitely be a reason for alarm.

Why? I'll admit, if there were numerous such ones happening I'd be rather suspicious. But a few? These things are to be expected. Anyone who was 'surprised' by them shouldn't have been. Just like no one should be surprised when a particularly large earthquakes smashes california, or a wildly destructive hurrican ravages downtown dallas, or a particularly destructive series of floods shoot thru mississsippi.

All I'm asking you is just how much major volcanic eruptions and earthquakes will it take before you realize something is wrong?

How about an unsual amount? You, and others of course, are looking at an absolutely normal amount of meteorological-geological activity as a wildly unusual amount. It simply isn't.

It's the "might happen" that I am accounting for, and rather than doing nothing about it,

What in the world do you think you can do about it and what do you think you are doing about it?

I think it is important we do not be complacent of a very real threat to our world.

And what would count as 'action' against the threat of 'pole shift'?

However, mate, you are just going to have to wait and watch till the end of this year.

I refuse to cower in irrational fear, of man beast or the planet.

Then I will ask you again, if you think something is up or not. You might not even have to wait that long.

And john titors monthly waco events would start in 2004. Oh wait, now its supposed to be 2005. And Napoleon was the anti-christ. And then Hitler was the anti-christ. Now its bush or bin laden, depending on what party one affiliates with. My point is, there is no more reason to beleive this current fear than any of the others. One does not need to sit and gnaw on nails for the 'end of the world' threat to pass after this year. When it doesn't materialize, then there'll be a new 'fear'. And when its January of 2013, an even greater number of fear-needers will breath a sign of releif, until they find some nostradamian quatrain to play food for their paranoia.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I couldnt have put it better Nygdan, i agree 100% with what you stated. Too much doom saying going on at the moment.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
One thing we have to keep in perspective when we talk about this stuff is this. A person only lives a brief span of time. Let's say 70 years maybe 80. Besides what I read in history, my personal perspective didn't really start until 1963 when I was born. And even then as a kid, I was more concerned with kid things. So I've grown up with seeing violence and sex rampant on TV and in music. Also since my birth there has always been nuclear weapons and since I'm a christian, I will mention that prayer in schools was never there when I went. But without a doubt there is a big difference between what I saw on tv and heard in music 30 years ago and what I see now. For ex. The TV show Happy Days was a show I watched when I was in my teens and there are sexual references in it but they are subtle. And I can watch a rerun of Leave it to Beaver and probably find none. But the other night I watched Battlestar Galactica and there was a scene in which two of the characters were engaged in a sex scene that left very little to the imagination. From 30 years ago until now we also have nuclear bombs that can be placed in a suitcase. Now step back before I was born and in WWII countries would make a multitude of bombs and drop planeloads on a city or country. Now we have pinpoint bombs that are very accurate so we can pick an exact spot for destruction.

So without a doubt things are changing, if you can't see and even feel that then you are simply ignoring reality.

The end times that were written in the Bible 2000 years ago. So compared to that climate we have seen the world change tremendously. Besides the changes we can see within our own limited lifetime, we need to view the bigger picture the Bible is referring to. Over the course of human history changes in everything are taking place. An interesting thing about today is TV and satellites and technology. 2000 years ago if the Incas got into a war, since the americas were isolated from the "known" world, Europe or China or wherever simply didn't know about it. God tells us that in the endtimes we would "hear" of wars and rumors of wars. Because of the technology that we have know we can actually "hear" of a war either seconds after it actually happens or see it live as it happens.

If you actually take the time to read and study what the Bible says you'll find out that besides being warned about what is to come it is a message of hope and you will KNOW that there is no end.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus

Originally posted by creamsoda
I do not know what the name is of this great philosopher, but I remember hearing a story about a man writing a story about two towers that will be exploded and blown up in a time around the time that they did blow up.

Coincidences like this are not unknown.

Here are two quite famous examples.

Wreck of the Titan was written 14 years before the Titanic sank, if you read it there are some astonishing parallels between the book and the actual Titanic disaster.

Also there was a book called
The Great Pacific War: A History of the American-Japanese Campaign of 1931-33 that virtually fortold how the Japanese would attack Pearl Harbour and also detailed the US plan to island hop all the way to Japan. Sometimes these thing seem to be fortold but they are just examples of coinsidence.

Nostradamus mentions two towers by the sea being destroyed.
A rap group called 'da coup' had a cd cover ready for shipping when 911 happened, that showed the two towers with explosions on each one.
Many events in history share a large number of details. I am impressed with some coincidences in my life, and wonder at the odds of them happening.
Like this one,
A good example of coincidence was the time I got hit on the leg with a baseball. It left a round bruise just like other times it has happened. This one time though, my brother and I were walking home from the movies and we climbed a tree to see over the outfield fence to find out the score of a baseball game. It was the bottom of the ninth and one of us said wouldn't it be neat if he hit it right to us. and then he did and the game was over. It hit me on the leg because my Brother was in front of me and could see it coming, but the outfielder didn't, he had lost it in the lights and was backing up to our left and so I was looking for it above him. My brother saw it, ducked out of the way, and it hit me. Then it fell to the ground & a boy ran & grabbed it. And the game was over and we had not been in the tree five minutes.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Too much doom saying going on at the moment.

Thats what disaters bring out, however you can not single out one event, you have to look at everything as a whole. You can not sit there and claim the End of the world based on this earthquake and tsunami, you also have to look at the tensions in the middle east, with Israel in the center of it all. The death of Arafat was thought to bring a peace deal quicker between Israel and Palestine (7 years), right now Israel, which has also pulled the US into it, is up in arms with Egypt, Syria, and Iran. Modern day Iraq is Biblical Babylon, and theres more destruction than rebuilding. SARS, mad cow, west nile, bird flu, aids, and now malaria and such after the tsunami. The UN is falling apart and the EU is coming up, the Euro has made some serious strides as a "one currency"....

I could go on and on.....You have to look at everything as a Whole, not one event, IMHO

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
There have always been wars, political problems, and natural disasters! "Always"....and people have always cried..."end times"
I just don't understand this...why!?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
These things have been happening since time began, it's just now we have the communication network to tell everyone almost instantaneously. LadyV is right in saying not to jump the gun on world events. For each of us individally, the 'end' of one of our 'worlds' could be at any moment. It could be on your drive home today. No, don't get spooked into not driving home, rather look for an answer to this question - what would happen if I died today?

Note to Christians: If you recall, Jesus does state no-one will know the hour and 'the end' will come like a theif in the night (Matt 24:36). Do not worry (Matt 6:25)..."Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?". It's not about you! This means to turn off the news and start helping people now. A lot of them cannot answer the question in the first paragraph. Be there for this.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The end only means the beginning of a new age. What is there to worry about. Just stay away from ocean front real estate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join