It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender Issues Finally Gain Recognition On Capitol Hill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
a reply to: Abysha

See my point about other dysmophic disorders. Trans are the only ones who fly in the face of conventional treatment because of the political agenda/debate surrounding them.

Your point about dysmorphic disorders is completely irrelevant and the fact you think it's relevant is, once again, demonstrating your total lack of research on the topic. From cause to diagnosis to treatment, gender dysphoria is vastly different than body dysmorphia.

It is okay to have strong feelings about something but please withhold those feelings if you are not interested enough to do a bit of basic research on the subject.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

There are states where interracial marriage is still technically illegal but it is not enforced or the law was never changed because federal laws and statues overrule them. Its illegal in some states to have an ice cream cone in your back pocket because of horse theft. I doubt you will get ticketed or arrested or even "hassled" if you did.

You want special legislature that specifically addresses the perceived discrimination and "rights" (still no one has shown where they don't possess the same rights I do btw). Should we write special sections of each law to address every possible subgroup or category of citizen? They are citizens they have the same freedoms and rights as the other citizens.

How do we stop people from discriminating against the poor? You guys have to prove the discrimination. I am not denying discrimination exist but not in the context that the government is denying your rights. This is more like an issue of "thought crime" than it is about rights.

This has always been about acceptance. You want government to magically alter peoples perceptions and I am afraid that isn't going to happen.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

If i may assume you are Heterosexual?

you don't "See" the discrimination Because you view the world though the eyes of a Heterosexual, it passes over your head, our Issues are nonsensical and unimportant to the "Bigger Issues" the World faces

The "Subgroup" that we are in is the same as you, People, our Sexual-Orientation and Gender-Identity don't make us any less than you or anyone else, but in those states it is Legal to discriminate against a Person because of our Sexual Orientation and Gender-Identity so who is putting us in a "Subgroup?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So?

so this is all bunk

I imagine they would if they are serious about transitioning. I'm sure it will look strange to a lot of the other men in the restroom, but much about being transgender appears strange to other people. Your points are rather weak...

my point is there is no issue. if you are dressed as a female use the girls restroom. there is no problem . everyone is in a stall so whats the problem? same with chicks in a mens room. use a stall . seriously whats the point of putting these stand up piss machines in the mens room and if you did that then you would have to put urinals in the ladies room. so really whats the point if men can sit down to pee and mens rooms have toilets?

there is no point unless someone wants to announce their gender then use he opposite genders restroom. just do it and dont announce your gender. it really is that easy.

I'm pretty sure it's an issue because transgender people made it an issue.

hey lots of stupid people make issues of stupid things . that doesnt mean i have to accept their stupidity

Do you think I'm transgender?

i dont really care . nor do i care where you piss . the question is why do you need to make an issue out of a non issue?
just a sjw in my opinion. and i dont care for those

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

i dont really care . nor do i care where you piss . the question is why do you need to make an issue out of a non issue?

Wait. The issue is not coming from transgender who just want to pee.

The issue is coming from those who want to stop them.

edit on 19-11-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

There are states where interracial marriage is still technically illegal but it is not enforced or the law was never changed because federal laws and statues overrule them.

Think about what you just said for a minute.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
We all have a male and a female side. Carl Jung describes this as the anima and animus, or the inner opposite. There are a lot of things that are not taught in school, which leave people stumbling through their lives without much understanding of the human condition. Basic things about our biology and psychology that would help everyone to have a greater understanding of who and what we are as a species and the factors that influence our thoughts and emotions. When certain aspects of human nature are not understood, ridiculed and suppressed it leads to many issues in life. As Yoda said "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to to suffering".
edit on 19-11-2015 by Paradeox because: Editing.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Good to know that with all the huge problems in the world right now our elected officials are worried about where people can take a dookie. This is infuriating that this is what they spend their time worrying about.

I know, right? Thank God Krazy's on top of it all.

It's not hard to tell the difference, if you are hip, but you have to know what to look for.
Sometimes you can spot the device that lets them pee, standing up, right?
So much we must learn…because as they have spoken on their broadcast devices, it's the new norm, no thanks to you and no thanks to me.

Anyways, as we thank the media for all this, let us not forget to thank God, and Krazy, that the kids are so smart.

They know what's best for them.
I must add that, especially before puberty is the time we should be listening to the children, all children, to make sure the child in each of them, develops exactly as the child intends!!!!

As the child intends, Selah....

It is impossible to overemphasize this last part.

This is most important! Don't be a denier...

# 550
edit on 19-11-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

not really . as i have pointed out noone is stopping them from using the restroom. the only reason there is a problem is because some people want to announce their gender then go into the opposing bathroom. the truth is not many people would notice if they just did it. if a person in a dress went into a ladys room . used the restroom and left no one would notice. same for the men . its only a problem when people make it one by saying "im a man and im going into the ladys room" . seriously . is this that hard to get? do you stare at people in the bathroom? do you check to make sure that person peeing in the stall has a penis or vagina? if you do then god help you if you dont then how would you know what sex they are?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I am saying that transgender already have the same rights because they are citizens. Just like interracial couples. Darth's example of states with archaic laws is irrelevant because they already have the rights of heteros or any other group of CITIZEN. They want SPECIAL privileges and recognition that goes beyond the protections that all citizens already enjoy.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Exactly we are all human and citizens. No need to create extraneous laws to specifically recognize every person who decides to form a subculture around their "identity" .

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

not really . as i have pointed out noone is stopping them from using the restroom. the only reason there is a problem is because some people want to announce their gender then go into the opposing bathroom. the truth is not many people would notice if they just did it. if a person in a dress went into a ladys room . used the restroom and left no one would notice. same for the men . its only a problem when people make it one by saying "im a man and im going into the ladys room" . seriously . is this that hard to get? do you stare at people in the bathroom? do you check to make sure that person peeing in the stall has a penis or vagina? if you do then god help you if you dont then how would you know what sex they are?

Bathrooms? Still? Ugh!

I am saying that transgender already have the same rights because they are citizens. Just like interracial couples. Darth's example of states with archaic laws is irrelevant because they already have the rights of heteros or any other group of CITIZEN. They want SPECIAL privileges and recognition that goes beyond the protections that all citizens already enjoy.

Oh brother! It is amusing that when repeatedly presented with examples of the types of discrimination LGBT people can face you just don't get it. So, HR calls you in to the office and says "I'm sorry, we have to let you go. We just don't feel your straight "lifestyle" is a good match for our company atmosphere and you are making other employees uncomfortable with your sexuality and continued talk about your wife".

Not fired for your job performance or competency
Not fired for missed days or coming in late
Not fired for doing a damn thing wrong other than being straight

Now substitute gay, trans, etc., for "straight" above - Perfectly legal in nearly half the states.

Now substitute female, Hispanic, Mormon, too old, etc., - Not legal under Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

How much more clear does it need to be before you get it? Wouldn't you be pretty pissed off for being fired because of your sexuality? If you think that can't be and isn't done because you are a CITIZEN, sorry, you are mistaken.

edit on 11/20/2015 by Freija because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Please. This whole thread has been nothing but misleading info. I have already shown how the advocate groups and news outlets are skewing information. They lump any one pre transition or post (so essentially anyone) who died that identified as transgender as somehow being related to persecution. In one example I showed the police said specifically it was not a hate crime.

As for transgender being fired I already stated that can happen in a number of places for no reason to anyone. Also in cases of real discrimination they aren't going to come out to your face and say they are discriminating against you they just fire you and say there are cutbacks or some BS.

Also you say this is about sexuality but gender and sexuality are different issues. Transgender are not always homosexuals. Has anyone thought maybe its more about the clown suit? Like hey we don't want this person to interact with our clients because the clients are uncomfortable with the clown suit? Kind of like tattoos and piercings. Why does it have to be "hate"? Maybe its just not appropriate for the environment. I worked with a gay technician/engineer who was very flamboyant. He always carried a big ass purse everywhere until it got caught on a pole in the shop and he fell into a hole. No one fired him or denied him his rights. This was in MS (one of those states darth pointed out BTW) he just stopped carrying the purse because I guess his safety was more important than appearances. I digress.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Hey, I appreciate you not taking what I said as an insult and having a polite conversation with me, I wanted to edit that because it sounded snarky but it was too late.

Problem is that in a lot of places a person can be fired or denied housing because they are transgender. That's not what this country is all about. You don't get to fire someone because they're a certain religion, because they're a woman, or because of their skin color. So they don't really have the same rights as a normal citizen. You can be fired for being transgender legally, you can't be legally fired for being in an interracial relationship.

I used to think it was complete BS that anyone would want to swap genders. Figured they were gay and scared to admit it, wanted attention, or were just nutjobs.

The more I looked into it (and I first started looking into it because I was appalled), the more I realized this is a legitimate thing. I'm not hippy dippy and certainly not a fan of PC nonsense. It's an actual thing, nature isn't always perfect. it's not hard to accept that some people are born with webbed toes, or that some people are born crazy, if you look into it you'll see that there are actually marked differences between a normal person's brain and a transgender person's brain. They're not tom boys or fairies, the brain doesn't match the body, they're different.

I think it's freaking weird, and it makes me uncomfortable sometimes thinking about it, but that's the way it is. Those are my problems though, and I'd rather be a little uncomfortable on occasion and grow out of it than trample on these people's right to be who they are.

So what makes a person, the body or the mind? We don't tip wheelchairs and tell people to walk, we value the person, the soul, their mind. We call them brave, they're inspirational. It's taken some growing up, but I'm starting to see transgender people that way too. Brave.

They deserve the SAME protections as the rest of us. It wouldn't be fair for me to be denied a job or housing because I'm a straight white male, and it isn't fair to deny a transgender person because they're a little different. The problem is that I'm protected, and they aren't. If I try to rent an apartment and someone says "No, you're white." It won't stand. Transgender people can't pick the gender they align with anymore than I can change the color of my skin. OK that's not true, I could walk around with a spay on tan and deny I'm a white person, and a transgender person can walk around and pretend they're who they are.

They just want the same rights, and they deserve them.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Duh. I used sexuality in my example rather than gender to simplify things so that they might be easier for you to comprehend. The issues of anti-discrimination rights based on sexual orientation and gender identity/expression are intertwined and/or very similar.

Back to the clown suit thing again? Your analogy has already been pointed out as disrespectful and offensive to some and quite frankly is ridiculous. All I can say is if one day a family member, your child or someone you know and love comes out as transgender or gay, I really hope you can learn a bit of compassion and understanding.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I don't think people are seeing the greater point. How do you know someone is transgender? Through their willful appearance? People have objections if someone wants to wear a hijab to their job but we should make special provisions for men who want to wear dresses or chicks who stuff dildos down their pants (have seen this first hand on the job).

There should be a give and take. Rights are what are enumerated in the "bill of rights". Your choice of attire is not covered there. Places like work environments can rightfully govern your appearance just as in the case of tattoos or piercings.

Through out this thread people say "well you can get fired because of your sexuality". Again that is only something you make known to others. Never mind the fact no one has shown any actual examples of it happening. How do we know the discrimination in say housing isn't derived from a prejudice against someone being mentally unstable? As opposed to sexuality. This is what I meant about this being more about thought crime. I haven't seen any ads for heterosexual only communities have you? Odd since it is perfectly legal according to some in this thread. Perhaps this is just more about victims mentality and trying to force acceptance.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

How is it disrespectful? Its an analogy. The reason it works is because someone in a clown suit sticks out in any situation much like a man in a dress with loads of plastic surgery.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

How is it disrespectful? Its an analogy. The reason it works is because someone in a clown suit sticks out in any situation much like a man in a dress with loads of plastic surgery.

I'm just going to let this go for now. I'm a senior citizen and don't want to get my blood pressure up before going to bed.

Anyway, when you continue to stick your foot in your mouth, your position on things and who you are speaks for itself and there's not much else I can or need to say. You have an opinion. That's cool. Blindly stick to it and help the world be a better place.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

a reply to: Annee

not really . as i have pointed out noone is stopping them from using the restroom. the only reason there is a problem is because some people want to announce their gender then go into the opposing bathroom. the truth is not many people would notice if they just did it.

That's just total BS.

In transgender kids cases they started out as one gender then switched to the other. The parents and kids had to work with the school to make the transition. Some schools refused.

In adult cases where a man transitions to a woman --- he most likely has already gone through puberty and still has a masculine appearance.

Saying they announce their gender is ridiculous. They just need to pee.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

All I can say is if one day a family member, your child or someone you know and love comes out as transgender or gay, I really hope you can learn a bit of compassion and understanding.

Don't do that. You're better than that.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join