It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with UK equivalent of US stuff please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Hey, can someone please tell me what the UK equivalent of cool whip and cool whip frosting would be?
I've gotten conflicting answers so far and I'm confused

Thank you!
Ooh, also are graham crackers like our digestives??

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Huh......you don't have cool whip there? It's just artificial whipped cream. I like cool whip better than whip cream, the chemicals beat the bloated feeling from real whip cream.

I have no clue what a digestives is.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yeah i should have probably put some sort of description on there, sorry.
So cool whip us just whipped cream? Brilliant, I can do whipped cream, lol. What about cool whip frosting? Whats the difference between the two? Do you know?

A digestive is kind of a slightly sweet biscuit...umm..cookie you guys call it. Just a plain slightly sweet cookie. Ive heard graham crackers have a slight cinnamon taste though is that right? Or completely wrong?
Thank you for your help!

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Cool whip frosting has powdered sugar beat into it.

I'm eating graham crackers as we speak! Hold on a second and I'll get a pic. (Never mind, as I now see ATS has once again jacked up the photo uploading process.)

Graham crackers have molasses in them and are usually made from whole grains not just white flour, if that helps any.

Got it, I think.

edit on 15-11-2015 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: christmaspig

A digestive is kind of a slightly sweet biscuit...umm..cookie you guys call it. Just a plain slightly sweet cookie. Ive heard graham crackers have a slight cinnamon taste though is that right? Or completely wrong?
Thank you for your help!

Hmm. Well, there are just plain graham crackers, then graham crackers with cinnamon on top, a separate and sweeter product. I know of the issue between biscuits and cookies or crackers, but generally a US "cookie" is fairly sweet (sometimes with frosting) and a US "cracker" is fairly salty, e.g. "wheat thins," or "Ritz Crackers" for example, salty crackers good with cheese. Then there are "water crackers" which are thin on all fronts, with no sugar and very little salt, used when you have some very good dips, otherwise as bland as unleavened church stuff.

But US "biscuits" are generally not all that sweet, like a "Girl Scout" shortbread that is just sweetened flour. Unless you get into "Southern biscuits," which is a whole 'nother ballgame, requiring copious amounts of butter.

Damn. Now my mouth is watering. YOU DID THIS ON PURPOSE!!!
edit on 11/15/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: christmaspig

graham crackers are pretty much the same thing as digestive...

just a bit sweeter

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Thanks everyone! It can be so confusing trying to figure it all out!
But I have some ridiculously high calorie desserts that I really want to make because reasons.
I'm hoping they will be worth it!
So I figure I need whipped cream, sweetened whipped cream and digestives!
Easy peazy lemon squeezy

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've never tasted a "digestive", however if you know what a molasses cookie or possibly a ginger snap cookie tastes like, you could make those very thin for a recipe that calls for graham if needed. A little different, but the end result would be similar.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: christmaspig

Graham crackers are not like what we call cookies. 1. They are shaped square. 2. They are usually honey sweetened (some brands are sweetened with just suger) 3. They are not as sweet as your digestives, (aka: cookies in US.) The graham cookies are made with flour and graham flour...check with Wikipedia for the history and more info.

For US peeps: Crackers or digestives in England are like our cookies...ie chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar etc.

For Brits: Crackers in the US are unsweetened, thin biscuit..ie: Triscuts, saltines, wheat thins (if you don't get those I will be glad to post more.

RECIPE FOR SMORES: 1. Graham Cracter, 2. slice of flat chocolate and then 3.. marshmellow, then 4. another graham cracker.
1. Put marshmellow over fire until you like it. 2. Slide onto Graham cracker and slice of chocolate. 3. Put 2nd graham
cracker on top. Goooooood!!!

Anymore questions, let me know.
lynnrd123

edit on 15-11-2015 by lynnrd123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: lynnrd123
For US peeps: Crackers or digestives in England are like our cookies...ie chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar etc.

I don't recognise this description of digestive biscuits (to give them a fuller name).
I've tried to find an image (may not work).
Image?
The version preferred by children has a thin chocolate layer on one side.

A memory is coming back of McVities advertising them on TV as "suggestive biscuits"-
"Know what I mean, squire, know what I mean?
Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more!"

edit on 15-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Dark chocolate digestives. Mmm.

Anyone know why they call them "digestives"?
edit on 15-11-2015 by 0hlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: 0hlord

Ok yeah Dark Chocolate digestives are the best and I don't like dark chocolate.

Also I always thought Americans were saying gram crackers. Such a different pronunciation of Graham.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It sounds like you are trying to make a type of cream pie.

In recipes calling for digestive biscuits, it is common to substitute graham crackers in the United States. According to Charles Panati, the original graham cracker is called a "digestive biscuit" in the United Kingdom.[22] However, graham crackers are typically a little dryer and more brittle.

Homemade coolwhip recipie,

Homemade Cool Whip Ingredients 1/4 cup cold water 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar 1 3/4 cups whipping cream 3 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla Instructions Pour the water into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water, and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Place the pan over medium-low heat and stir until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Once the gelatin mixture has cooled... Place 1 tablespoon of the whipping cream and the cream of tartar in a small ziptop bag. Seal the bag and shake it until cream of tartar has dissolved completely and there are no lumps. If there are lumps, use your fingers to work them out. Pour the cream of tartar mixture into a large bowl (the bowl of your mixer if using a stand mixer) along with the rest of the whipping cream and the sugar. Beat with a hand mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Once cream mixture begins to slightly thicken, slowly pour in the gelatin-water while continually mixing. Add the vanilla. Continue to mix until the cream is thick and smooth.

edit on 11/16/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

just a bit sweeter

Everything in America is sweeter. At least that's my experience. My American sister in law added SUGAR to Devonshire clotted cream when she last visited us in England. Sacrilege!

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Try dipping strawberries in it next summer. You dont know what you're missing.

new topics

top topics

join