It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser Suspect Captured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
A NJ man was taken into custody. Can't believe he blamed it on his kid at first. Nice.

"A man who initially claimed his daughter aimed a laser at a helicopter was charged after he told federal agents that he pointed the light beam at two aircraft, authorities said Tuesday."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Tihs is officially my first post on here so this is exciting!! This guy they caught was shining his laser at a helicopter and a small plane. I could see how this is possible. I don't understand how someone could do this to a plane traveling at 9500 feet. And if they could, how could they continuosly shine the laser on it? So many questions about this one.

I have also heard that there have been a couple hundred reports of lasers interferring with pilots over the past 8 years. But im not entirely sure about that.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
banning laser pointers? registration of them?

so all we need to do to crash several planes is have everyone point their laser pointers at the same time in a hub area with constant air traffic.

oy vey.....

i was under the impression that these pointers had to meet strict federal standards, not the least of which applied to the potential hazard posed to passing aircraft.

every once in awhile a child would get eye injury from one of these things, yet i never heard of endangered flight crews before this....i am suspicious.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Laser Suspect Captured

Captured? Its not like he was a big bad terrorist in hiding. Roflmao

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is the same guy who has been shinning a laser light into jet liner cockpits?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedPhoenixDelta

Laser Suspect Captured

Captured? Its not like he was a big bad terrorist in hiding. Roflmao

Lets see... he is shining a laser into a cockpit to blind a pilot in hopes of taking the craft down. Thats terrorism. So he is a big-bad-one. And of the people doing it he is the first to be caught. So yeah its a big deal.

XL5

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
5mW, public. Visable colour at 20mW dumb hick. Infra-red at 20mW+ terrorist. Any class IV laser fired at anyone, lock him up no matter who he is.

repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu...
repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu...

Read em!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That links is great! Really cleared a couple things up for me!

Its really way way way too bad this kid is having to go through this. And its also too bad that this moron has access to childern. Well probablly not for long anyway.

I still however wouldn't be surprised if in a few days/weeks we see a bunch of airliners come down and catches everyone off guard because they had thought "we have the guy responsible".

Although, a lot of those SAMS are guided by means other then lasers.

I really do hope this story is at a rest now because a couple guys with those in North America could bring these countries to their knees.. its so simple that I can't believe it hasn't been done if these sleeper groups really exist.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I still don't really understand how he was able to point these lasers at the moving airplanes traveling that fast, and keep it on target.... I smell something else involved in this

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
i wonder how the people in the chopper noticed it...i mean aren't the points these things produce like the size of a pencil tip or something?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugfast
I still don't really understand how he was able to point these lasers at the moving airplanes traveling that fast

No, this was the guy who flashed a beam on the chartered jet and police helicopter. No real tracking was involved. The other cases out west are still unknown.

Man Charged Under Patriot Act for Laser

SMR

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The guys a jack-ass.Nice roll model for his kids

They should take one and point it into his eyes while he rides a 10 speed on rough gravel.
This was an issue a while back,and yet here he is doing it?
Some peoples children

[edit on 5-1-2005 by SMR]

XL5

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The reason he was able to aim it is that the green laser SEEMS brighter then the red laser of the same power and you can see the green beam and the dot. He aimed the beam and after 1000ft the beam/dot spreads out to 2inchs or so, a small movement of the hand with a laser pointer becomes a larger movement at those distances.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Read all the posts and don't skim over stuff, for great justice!

SMR

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I thought laser beams did not change like flashlights and other beams of light

It was my understanding that they continue the same 'width' until the distance it is certified at stops.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
How about if the laser was mounted on a telescope tripod ? This way the suspect would have a pretty steady hand ...Or even look through the telescope to see up close where the dot hits??

[edit on 8-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

XL5

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Lasers still diverge some small amount, less if theres optics to correct that. Then theres dust that makes it spread out too. Laser pointers don't have optics to correct the spread of the beam.

top topics

join