It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bootlegged music recordings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I love them, and although some think these are illegal they really are not. I been a collector of these for years even back in the day recording onto cassettes and 8-tracks live FM broadcasts or the weekly King Biscuit flower hour or other shows. So and on or about 2001 buying my first MP3 player and all the downloads I got from early Napster and other places I started acquiring a huge amount of music i never heard, live and unreleased demo's and outakes. So when napster got shut down by Metallica (and others) I understood the definition of theft. Therefore theft is in ACTUAL published recordings, not audience sourced or soundboard recordings and leaked demo's and outtakes. if it has never been published and produced it's not protected.

So I got into Bootleg music forums. I became a moderator and admin of a few of the biggest bootleg forums around.

During all this time my little collection of audio and video bootlegs have increased into a size of colossal proportions. I mean hundreds of terabytes mostly backed up on data dvd's, i'd buy cheap 100 disc spools of blank dvd's and cheap dollar store CD cases and folder to house them. I am still finding stuff i never heard of my my favorite bands. I mean last Time I checked there was over 3000 Metallica full live shows floating around the Internet. Bootlegging is often incorrectly referred to as piracy but there are important differences between the two terms. Non-profit bootlegging is trafficking in recordings that the record companies have not commercially released, whereas piracy is the illegal copying/sale of recordings that are (or have been) available commercially or are planned/scheduled for commercial release.

Lot's of boot's have been liberated as "free, not for sale" added to the cover art as seen here. I had to smudge out the blog url that was on the image, sorry.

So I am wondering if there was other ATS people who are into this? It would be so cool if ATS allowed a bootleg music link forum to these kinda recordings, but i understand why they would not.

Bootlegs should not be confused with counterfeit or pirated recordings, which are merely unauthorized duplicates of officially released recordings, often attempting to resemble the official product as close as possible. Some record companies have considered that any record issued outside of their control, and for which they do not receive payment, to be a counterfeit, which includes bootlegs. However, some bootleggers are keen to stress that the markets for bootleg and counterfeit recordings are different, and a typical consumer for a bootleg will have bought most or all of that artist's official releases anyway.[4] Who's Zoo compiled early singles and B-sides by The Who, which had not been commercially released in the U.S. Like several Trademark of Quality bootlegs, it featured cover artwork by William Stout. Many bootlegs consist of private or professional studio recordings distributed without the artist's involvement, including demos, works-in-progress or discarded material. These might be made from private recordings not meant to be widely shared, or from master recordings stolen or copied from an artist's home, a recording studio or the offices of a record label, or they may be copied from promotional material issued to music publishers or radio stations, but not for commercial release.[5] A theme of early rock bootlegs was to copy deleted records, such as old singles and B-sides, onto a single LP, as a cheaper alternative to obtaining all the original recordings. Strictly speaking, these were pirated recordings, but because the work required to clear all the copyrights and publishing of every track for an official release was considered to be prohibitively expensive, the bootlegs became popular. Some bootlegs, however, did lead to official releases. The Who's Zoo bootleg, collecting early singles of The Who, inspired the official album Odds And Sods, which beat the bootleggers by issuing unreleased material, while various compilations of mid-1960s bands inspired the Nuggets series of albums

More here about legality

Let's discuss ATS!

edit on 11/13/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Bootlegged.
How did that name come about?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

The term literally originated from smugglers hiding illegal bottles of alcohol in their boots under their pants.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Bootlegged.
How did that name come about?
Bootlegging? I think it came from old medieval times when one carried contraband or weapons in ones boots.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

a reply to: proob4

Thanks

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: VoidHawk

The term literally originated from smugglers hiding illegal bottles of alcohol in their boots under their pants.

True. remember reading all about it but cannot find the source i read it all from. Most people don't even know NASCAR roots started from bootleggers. Actually rum runners with fast cars to outrun the revenue agents. Through bragging rights they started races that eventually became what most now know as NASCAR.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
After seeing a linkin park concert in toronto, i got an email from LPU giving me a code for a download to the recording for the concert i was at. Was an awesome and unexpected gift.
I hear Pearl Jam does the same with all their concerts also

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I have just not been able to afford to buy any music in a long time. Well, I think I stopped buying when CDs went to $10+.

Youtube was right there to listen. Many sources were right there to download. My tape recorder was right there with the radio. I had so many mixtapes..I have saved some. I download mainly, single songs from youtube with an app.

At Christmas, I save money by downloading entire albums from piratebay for family.

I remember buying a bootleg of Prince's "The Black Album" at a flea market in Berkeley in about 1991? Best guess at year. It was a cassette. I still have it.

I did buy a lot when I was a teen...read: given money by parents or earned from babysitting. The first music I bought with my own money was the 45 of The Scorpions 'Rock You Like a Hurricaine" followed by the 45 of Quiet Riot "Cum on Feel the Noize". I remember having record albums of both Shaun Cassidy and Michael Jackson "Thriller" tacked to my bedroom wall, so obviously I was finding my music footing and some money was spent.

I have actually bought a lot of 'picture disc records'. I like them.

But now, I only need single songs. I am not going to pay a couple bucks for each one. So, I may be doing the 'bad' pirating. I don't 'feel bad' though.

I listen to pretty specific playlists on Spotify for free. They say the free runs out, but it never does. Not sure how saving some to my computer would be bad.

edit on 13-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Very true. I know a couple of mechanics (excellent by the way) that "souped up" vehicles for bootleggers. They built up my first van back in the day . Sounded stock , looked stock , but for a full sized van it would turn the quarter in no time whatsoever.

Back on track , and pardon the pun , it was not even considered "bootlegging" nor illegal to copy music as long as you did not gain by it. Also , you could make one copy of your software for "offsite" backup.....those were the days.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have a ton of bootleg shows from various bands. I'm a bit finicky when it comes to sound quality though. I prefer to listen to soundboard boots if available. I just can't listen to most audience recordings. Too much noise.

I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam & Dave Matthews Band and thankfully they have released "official bootlegs". I know, I know, they aren't true bootlegs, but for live music, they sound superb.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
I have a ton of bootleg shows from various bands. I'm a bit finicky when it comes to sound quality though. I prefer to listen to soundboard boots if available. I just can't listen to most audience recordings. Too much noise.

I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam & Dave Matthews Band and thankfully they have released "official bootlegs". I know, I know, they aren't true bootlegs, but for live music, they sound superb.
Yes I do prefer the soundboarded recordings, but sometimes there area good audience sourced recording that sounds almost as good as a soundboard, lol a few times I have even remixed some audience sourced recordings to make them sound better, and even made cover art a few times. There are still boot's floating around by me proob4 cause of that. Also there was a add on to winamp called DMX that would open them up to better sounding levels.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Gotcha, i got a rusted up old '89 ford that looks like a beater but runs like mad.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I remember "bootlegging" the Dr. Demento shows off the night radio broadcasts on the weekends.
Ah, cassettes. Those were the days.

Wish I knew where those tapes went.
Maybe I should invest in CD's now.
Or mp3's.

Or something.
Yar!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I have just not been able to afford to buy any music in a long time. Well, I think I stopped buying when CDs went to $10+.

Youtube was right there to listen. Many sources were right there to download. My tape recorder was right there with the radio. I had so many mixtapes..I have saved some. I download mainly, single songs from youtube with an app.

At Christmas, I save money by downloading entire albums from piratebay for family.

I remember buying a bootleg of Prince's "The Black Album" at a flea market in Berkeley in about 1991? Best guess at year. It was a cassette. I still have it.

I did buy a lot when I was a teen...read: given money by parents or earned from babysitting. The first music I bought with my own money was the 45 of The Scorpions 'Rock You Like a Hurricaine" followed by the 45 of Quiet Riot "Cum on Feel the Noize". I remember having record albums of both Shaun Cassidy and Michael Jackson "Thriller" tacked to my bedroom wall, so obviously I was finding my music footing and some money was spent.

I have actually bought a lot of 'picture disc records'. I like them.

But now, I only need single songs. I am not going to pay a couple bucks for each one. So, I may be doing the 'bad' pirating. I don't 'feel bad' though.

I listen to pretty specific playlists on Spotify for free. They say the free runs out, but it never does. Not sure how saving some to my computer would be bad.

LOL I remember back in the day My step cousin was a DJ and we went all over Detroit to find that damn Prince Black album. lol no internet then.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
I remember "bootlegging" the Dr. Demento shows off the night radio broadcasts on the weekends.

Or mp3's.

Or something.
Yar!
Me too. I had 100's of shows I recorded on cassettes and 8-tracks. Lot's of good stuff i cannot even find now on the bootleg boards and forums. I really liked the long play 8 - tracks that recorded at high tape speeds for close to lossless recording. lol Back then i would have killed for a reel to reel but they was so expensive.
I always would use high quality media then too like metal cassette tapes and the high quality long plat 8 - track tapes.
Now i am actually geting away from MP3's and using looking for lossy (lossless) formatted downloads. They go by the file extension .flac instead of .mp3 and sound much better than mp3's.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

Or mp3's.

Or something.
Yar!

Dr.Demento...thanks for bringing back memories. I used to tape those as well... you deserve an applause as I feel this is the "best answer"

you get a

edit on 13-11-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The String Cheese Incident is pretty famous for allowing "tapers" to setup microphones on stands to record their live concerts. They don't mind, as long as they don't interfere with the concert. In fact, there was a whole website that had a huge database of every recorded concert available.

It was pretty neat to listen to the same song done live in various venues and over the years. Some of the songs seemed to have lives of their own, evolving and changing as the time went by...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The String Cheese Incident is pretty famous for allowing "tapers" to setup microphones on stands to record their live concerts. They don't mind, as long as they don't interfere with the concert. In fact, there was a whole website that had a huge database of every recorded concert available.

It was pretty neat to listen to the same song done live in various venues and over the years. Some of the songs seemed to have lives of their own, evolving and changing as the time went by...
See that's the fun part. I have well over 500 Metallica Full audio shows and over 100 full video shows.(lot's are on youtube nowdays) it's just fun to see how they change up from venue to venue like you say.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

What's really cool is to get a recording of a show you've BEEN at

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
They may be "legal", but you are not taking into consideration that a lot of musicians don't like that material out there. You are only thinking about getting busted and not the musicians.

Then there are bands (The Grateful Dead for instance) that don't mind it at all. Just not true across the board (recording).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join