It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitsubishi MRJ first flight imminent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The second picture from Sammamishman really sets off how physically big the engines are.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviB

They're geared turbofans from Pratt&Whitney. They have several different models entering service now.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The plan was to fly about an hour, verifying naif l basic flight characteristics. The flaps and gear were set to a fixed position, and the thrust reversers were locked out.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
That's really neat. I guess I need to follow engine developments a little closer.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

There are some amazing engines out there between the Civil and military development programs.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm really curious if "they" can run the planetary on the fan like a final drive on a piece of equipment.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
The aircraft flew for an hour and a half, and exceeded expectations. They climbed to 15,000 feet and reached 150 knots.

The aircraft will arrive in the US 2nd quarter of next year.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Looks like an Embraer E-jet (170, etc.). The RJ market in the US is one of the wonkiest segments of commercial aviation. The tidal ebb and flow of demand is gigantic. The major airlines can't decide if they want to be in this market or not. The versatility of the 70 seat RJ's is without question, but the way they use them (their feeder partners) has to be one of the craziest business models in the business. The commercial risk must be insane (for their partners).

UA, DL and AA use them to establish soft markets then drop them like a hot rock in favor of heavy jets when demand picks up. F9 is a classic example; at one point about 8 years ago fully 40% of F9 flight operations at DEN were using RJ's. Then, practically overnight, they were replaced with A318 and 319's. Then F9 bit the dust only to be acquired by YX (their RJ partner to begin with). I personally know a whole bunch of people who ate a gob of Rolaids over that whole deal.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

It will be a wonderful sight (and sound!) in a decade or two once the tractor pullers get their hands on a few GTFs...

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
More images and video.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

That was one of the first things that came to mind for me too lol.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join