It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon Phobos is Slowly Falling Apart and Triton

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

naturally occurring - satellite formed with the planet.
non naturally occurring = captured by gravity.

To me its weird a satellite that is naturally captured would be in its current position.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So it seems you think a satellite can be natural and captured, unless it's Phobos. Or did I misinterpret that statement?

edit on 11/11/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yeah, phobos is an ass for behaving the way it is.

Quite a non natural behaviour as it seems, that is, it falling apart the way it is.

Peace

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

your reply is basically a summary of what i said, damn, if only i had a cult following.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Not exactly a summary. You didn't mention evolution at all, you talked about calendars and seasons. I was agreeing with and expanding on what you said. I'm sorry if you feel slighted by it.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Calendars and seasons are time, and time is evolution, evolution...takes time.

Please dont be sorry for my slightness.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Considering Phobos is in a retrograde orbit...I would like to see a scientific explanation for that.

Phobos does NOT have a retrograde orbit. The fact that it is slowly spiralling in towards Mars is because it orbits the planet faster than Mars rotates.
edit on 11-11-2015 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: trifecta

Fair enough - a third way would be if they were artificially created.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: NowanKenubi
Hm. Isn't it funny how Hoagland 'predicted' a while ago that Phobos was hollow

No one (apart from crank theorists) said it's hollow. Phobos is a rubble pile, a congregate of losely-bound material, with perhaps some voids inside. But not a single large void.

Hollow asteroids/moon/planets can't exists because they would have eventually collapsed in on themselves due to their own gravity.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

My mistake on Phobos.

Triton is the only large satellite with that type of orbit.

I said nothing about spaceships.

Any reason you have to act like an ass?

He didn't.... that's just Sheldon

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Wow, great. Now tell us what is happening on the dark side of our moon. NASA is so excited to give us information about things that are out of our backyard but they can not give us any details about dark side of our own moon.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I bet it will be spectacular to see Phobos ripped apart someday.

Wonder if there will be any of us around to see it? How far in the future would that occur?

If it is really a rubble pile inside, I bet it turns into a spectacular ring around Mars.

That would be really cool ... like that planet in the original 'Alien' movie with Sigourney Weaver

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rajas
I find it curious how some of these groves have a line of craters in them that seem to follow the contour of the grove.
Not all groves have a line of craters and not all liner craters fall within a grove. How does that work?
Each of these physical features are interesting on their own yet together seem to imply a connection.

Can anyone imagine a scenario in which objects would impact in such a liner way sometimes following a grove?
Could these craters be caused by something other than impacts?

Phobos’ grooves were long thought to be fractures caused by the impact that formed Stickney crater...
However, scientists eventually determined that the grooves don’t radiate outward from the crater itself but from a focal point nearby.
These groves, and perhaps the line of craters, have their own focal point? Reminds me of magnetic field lines.

This Wiki image seems to show two possible focal points almost as though they are polarized along an axis.
upload.wikimedia.org...
I can't help but think that these groves are far more complicated than tidal stress fractures.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Devino

I find that curious as well...its funny how its been 11 days and Phage hasnt reappeared to "debunk" this.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: FelisOrion
Wow, great. Now tell us what is happening on the dark side of our moon. NASA is so excited to give us information about things that are out of our backyard but they can not give us any details about dark side of our own moon.

What the hell are you talking about?!

I assume you're refering to the far side of the Moon, which we cannot see from Earth but receives as much light as the near side.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has sent back more than 200 Terabytes of information since it arrived at the Moon 6 years ago, and it's still going strong. It's taken over 800,000 high resolution images of the far side, and they are all freely available online here: lroc.sese.asu.edu...

THe data is not being jelously guarded by a ruthless team of Agent Smith clones in a bunker at Area 51. It comes from the faculty & student interns at Arizona State University. If you're going to be in Phoenix, you can visit them and see how they work. Details are here: lroc.sese.asu.edu...

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: FelisOrion

I'll let you in on a secret - it's dark there. But when the side of the Moon facing us is in the dark, it's gets a fair amount of light reflected from Earth, called "earthshine". You can see it yourself when looking at a thin crescent of the Moon.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Devino

I find that curious as well.
I did a search after posting that which revealed “Crater Chains”, a subject I found very interesting. The cause seems straightforward enough (remember Shoemaker-Levy 9) yet there are some problems.

I believe an object breaking apart in orbit would experience some scattering over a short period of time. I think we could expect to see more of a “jet stream” of objects’ impacts rather than a nice tight line.

The other problem is the grooves. Some of the crater chains fall in line with the grooves which suggest a connection in their creation. I think the best explanation for this is sublimation of subsurface ice causing sinkholes along the grooves.
How can we tell the difference between sinkholes and craters?

There is a much more controversial explanation that I would like to point out; Electric Discharge Machining (EDM). This one creates more questions than it answers yet I found the idea also very interesting.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The earth's moon is spiralling away from the earth at the rate of 3 centimetres a year, so the earth will lose the moon eventually, then the earth's north pole will tip over to the face the sun, then things will get really bad, according to what I have read and watched.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
The earth's moon is spiralling away from the earth at the rate of 3 centimetres a year, so the earth will lose the moon eventually, then the earth's north pole will tip over to the face the sun, then things will get really bad, according to what I have read and watched.

Actually, the Moon won't be able to get that far that quick enough before the Sun runs out of hydrogen "fuel" and expands into a red giant, potentially "swallowing" our planet. Even if the Earth survives that stage, it will have become uninhabitable long before that. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

What came first we all might want to know.
February 1977 Viking 1 makes a close approach to Phobos before landing on Mars.
www.dmuller.net...
May 25, 1977 Star Wars: A New Hope is released.
en.wikipedia.org...(film)
Even so, did George Lucas actually see any photos of Phobos before filming Star Wars?
Until he answers that question, we won't know if he based the Death Star on Phobos or if he was subconsciously attuned to NASA's space missions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join