It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reinstall Adwcleaner each use.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I have to reinstall the program every time I want to use it so I must be doing something wrong.

What do I need to do to make the Icon stay on the desktop or to make the program incon in the jump work?

This is 4th time I've had to download it each use.

Win 7 Home Edition?

thanks

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Seems there is a big ad/adware war right now. It probably doesn't matter since one side keeps finding ways to get around the other. Just recently there was a big headline on how certain companies are getting around it and found a way how. It will take a little bit to catch up. Mostly, the only ones I have seen get around it are spam ware and potential Trojans (your system has a virus... click here or call this number to have them fix it... bla bla bla).

I'm sure there will be another adware update soon. Even though adware sucks now. They caved in to the big advertisers for money. I guess greed trumps all when it comes to... well... pretty much everything.

Adware Plus bought out Adware, then sold their souls to the highest bidder. I miss the true white hats. This day in age, it's only black hats and grey hats (black hats that pretend to be white hats).

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   

right click the program "adware clearner" click create short cut to make an icon for the program on desktop.

Number two why is it the program keeps getting deleted from icons?

Get free "malware bytes" anti virus and run a full system scan.

number 3 check and see if your consistently needing a system restore to a previous date which would wipe the program out.

number four use CNET to download adware cleaner and malware bytes.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Answer : The free Adaware version is set to do just that.
My 2 favorites
1) Malwarebytes
2) Spybot S&D

Use all malware cleaners with a bit of caution

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Seems there is a big ad/adware war right now. It probably doesn't matter since one side keeps finding ways to get around the other. Just recently there was a big headline on how certain companies are getting around it and found a way how. It will take a little bit to catch up. Mostly, the only ones I have seen get around it are spam ware and potential Trojans (your system has a virus... click here or call this number to have them fix it... bla bla bla).

I'm sure there will be another adware update soon. Even though adware sucks now. They caved in to the big advertisers for money. I guess greed trumps all when it comes to... well... pretty much everything.

Adware Plus bought out Adware, then sold their souls to the highest bidder. I miss the true white hats. This day in age, it's only black hats and grey hats (black hats that pretend to be white hats).

this is a correct statement I have personally seen norton antivirus miss an infection and show no signs of infection only to run malware bytes and it show 166 pups and 87 viruses. I suggest adblock extension on chrome. Malware bytes anti virus and avast as a secondary anti virus scanner.

Ccleaner is key after an infection as it fixes dll files and other problems. You can get ccleaner from CNET as well, click registry files and hit scan. click fix all issues after the scan is done. Check start up programs and only keep what is needed.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
I have to reinstall the program every time I want to use it so I must be doing something wrong.

What do I need to do to make the Icon stay on the desktop or to make the program incon in the jump work?

Win 7 Home Edition?

thanks

ADWCleaner is updated on a frequent basis. When you open the program, which does not have an installer btw, it tells you if the program is outdated, and will ask you if you want to download the latest version. If you answer yes or ok, it deletes the present version, and takes you to the website to download the new version. It isn't meant to be a resident program that receives updates. You must download the newest standalone version each time.

ETA: ADWCleaner is a specialty tool. There are several others just like it. They were originally written for techs who understand their use, and how they work, because this is what happens when people who don't understand, use tools like these. Confusion and slander of a good program that does what it was meant to do. If you know how to use it. No offense meant OP. Just explaining why programs like this exist, and why threads like this pop up.
edit on 11/7/2015 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 11/7/2015 by Klassified because: punctuation

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Remember you get what you pay for... hence Free is well....
I use Panda antivirus and have not had any issue in the last 14 years... just saying.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
Remember you get what you pay for... hence Free is well....
I use Panda antivirus and have not had any issue in the last 14 years... just saying.

That's likely because you use good sense on the internet, and maintain your computer properly. Not because of the anti-virus. The best protection is the end user.

I have never paid for an anti-virus, and never will until they remove the free versions from the internet. I use Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7, and the integrated Windows Defender on Win 8 and 10. Basically, the same program. You get what you pay for doesn't always apply in the computer industry. Take Norton and McAfee for example. The most popular, but arguably the two worst anti-virus programs on the market. Few payware anti-virus/malware programs are worth the money these days. But as long as what you're using works for you. Stay with it.

edit on 11/7/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
i tried a lot of adware removal,only to find they either put more adware on your pc ,don't work as advertised.
or removed the adware but replaced it with a few ads for sites they promote.
malawarebytes being one of the culprits and spyhunter!!!!!
i call these two out in particular as these two get name dropped everywhere.
its possible to remove adware without adware removal software i learnt to do this
as i became frustrated that malaware and others are not what it seems.
their is a thread somewhere in the massive vaults of ats that goes in to some description
of how to do this yourself.

(people using norton please be aware this was the first hacked program i ever came across and was available as a torrent for this reason i stear clear of norton also)
edit on 7-11-2015 by stuthealien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien
Malwarebytes does not put adware on your computer, unless you get it from a source that has added it to the executable file. I use Malwarebytes on a regular basis as part of the cleanup process on client machines. I cannot say the same for Spyhunter, as I don't use it. Get the program from Malwarebytes own website and you won't have an issue.

Some malicious software can, and sometimes must be removed manually. But on a badly infected computer, it's time consuming and inefficient to do all the cleaning that way. You will miss what a good program will pick up. Add to that, most people do not have the skill or experience to do it. They end up making things 10 times worse than what they were. Hell, most people have infections on their machine and don't even know it.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DogMeat

(This is an honest statement)

I haven't used any virus scanner for the last 15 years and not one virus. Just sayin...

A bit part of it is your browsing habits and knowing what files to download and what not to. The safest bet is to stay away from web sites that you wouldn't want your kids to see and never download something that you should be paying for in the first place. Those habits are as safe as a condom. 99.9%

Still, I never use a virus scanner for quite a few reasons. I'm just careful and know what to look for and stay away from and I'm not quite following the above steps. But, that's not saying that it works for everyone. It all depends on how computer savvy you are. Know what to look for and how to respond when you see something. There are usually warning signs before the infection in the sense on how certain pages open up, what they open up, what they offer, and yes.. if a picture is really far out there and too good to be true, DONT CLICK IT. FB is full of these traps.

Virus scanners load down computers and slow the time it takes to open, read and write files to a computer. They suck up memory. They also lock down processes and abilities at times.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Pay for the full version ...must've thought you were installing the entire thing....I've got Malwarebytes and Kaspersky... both free, and they've stayed installed

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Pay for the full version ...must've thought you were installing the entire thing....I've got Malwarebytes and Kaspersky... both free, and they've stayed installed

Read my post above. There is only one version, and it is free. It does what it is supposed to do. Providing you get it from a reputable source like bleepingcomputer.com for instance.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Apologies but I spelt the word wrong. Its adwcleaner that has the problem

sorry.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

originally posted by: Azureblue

Win 7 Home Edition?

thanks

ADWCleaner is updated on a frequent basis. When you open the program, which does not have an installer btw, it tells you if the program is outdated, and will ask you if you want to download the latest version. If you answer yes or ok, it deletes the present version, and takes you to the website to download the new version. It isn't meant to be a resident program that receives updates. You must download the newest standalone version each time.

ETA: ADWCleaner is a specialty tool. There are several others just like it. They were originally written for techs who understand their use, and how they work, because this is what happens when people who don't understand, use tools like these. Confusion and slander of a good program that does what it was meant to do. If you know how to use it. No offense meant OP. Just explaining why programs like this exist, and why threads like this pop up.

Ah now I know, thanks

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I see. Then I would think its picked up an update for the browser or website or app itself, deleting it each time, where it had previuosuly stayed in place for repeated use.

Thank you Klassified,

Best

Mysterioustranger

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
There is a way to make it stay in place, by cancelling the update, but I don't recommend it.

top topics

join