It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The return of Cicada 3301?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Good afternoon ATS, Hope you are well?

Whilst on one of my journeys across the web, I happened upon a peculiar website known thestewards1033. After piquing my interest, I had a little scour around to see what this thing was. Looks awfully similar to the Cicada 3301 antics, even the inverse of the numbers, however, the first 2 'puzzles' have been rather easy.

I won't post the answers to the first two as this seems to be against the rules, but alas, I can't locate the rules, It's all been hearsay, so maybe a hint will suffice? 1. Bible, and 2. Conway.

I am by no means one of the most intelligent people on this planet, which is why I want to bring this puzzle to light. I know by the time I hit level 3 someone else more worthy may have gotten a lot further.

So I bring to you, a real ongoing cryptographer's wet dream

thestewards1033.org...

Enjoy ATS, Good luck

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: pr0ph3t

I give up!!!!

I can't get past the first one, even with your hint it just doesn't make any sense.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Ozsheeple

Im not taking part so feel no problem sharing, 11.38 refers to a bible verse, hence Johns friend, and we get Lazarus. The next is harder, but not by much,
edit on 6/11/2015 by Learningman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I haven't heard of anyone yet getting further than the second password entry, after using the number sequence in the URL.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

3, 13, 1113, 3113, 132113, 1113122113

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ozsheeple

This was an awfully fast attempt! Some people have been staring at a screen for days in the hopes that an epiphany would strike them.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Im not well versed in religious scripture and will not be continuing because i can't be bothered.

thanks anyway.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I can't either. Inspected page elements, and there is some drag and drop mentioned, but I'm not great at code so I'm stuck.

The people who are really taking part wont be sharing, is my feeling though, only people like me keen to see how dumb we are

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Thankyou, I had it but wasnt sure if Ozsheeple wanted to play along so didn't want to give all answers. If you ave the third, however, Id be happy!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It's of no use just posting the answer though, a little background would be helpful for hopefuls! This is John Conway's look and say sequence, an English mathematician, who stumbled upon a strange number pattern. This in some sense correlates to elements and languages too.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

hahaha

how do people have the patients for that. anyway gotta go.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

This should help:

mathworld.wolfram.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

oeis.org...

(method A - initial term is 3).

Method A = 'frequency' followed by 'digit'-indication.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Defo hear you there bud, keen to fail huh!? haha! Some people were saying that if you highlight "This page is locked..." and drag it into the password search bar, the text changes to coords... however trying this resulted in the text becoming whatever I had copied prior to this, making me believe copy and paste is disabled. Also pressing ESC in the password field takes you to a login for the website hosting company.. I've breezed through the source but on learning that this page is made on squarespace, I believe that nothing can be derived from the source as it is mostly server side.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What we know so far is John linked over to the second question, and I'm getting sucked in

Some linguist named John, I thought, but fruitless so far.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Seems odd that the first two puzzles are so easy and then the 3rd is so hard, not even a single clue is given. Looking through the source code is like looking for a needle in a haystack because it's a Squarespace website with lots of boilerplate code. I had a brief look through the code but couldn't see anything. I actually doubt the solution can be found in the source code, I think the solution may have something to do with the answers to the first two puzzles. Or there is no solution and they are just screwing with people.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

See, that's a mighty fine backup of my term "I'm not the most intelligent"... I didn't even see the John link. You're better than you say you are

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I originally thought the source code but as you say, seems a no-go.
Is there any number theory to do with raising the dead?

Also steward could have meaning, though again, im stumped.
I don't think it is a ruse, previous cicada puzzles have been diabolical to the point of seeming impossible, and I would be surprised if some bright spark isn't already well ahead.

IJust a quick thought i want to post in case I forget, my dog wants a walk so i must nip away, but could there be a look and say sequence starting with 11, 18, ************ ?

edit on 6/11/2015 by Learningman because: bad brain needs notes to itself

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

They used squarespace to build their site... that's for newbies without web development skills, not some awesomely intelligent secret organization.

I suspect trolling...
edit on 11/6/2015 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The site changed its first page to include this message.

"Keep in mind that we aren't they only ones who can make QR Codes."

Notice the typo? Not a great advertisement for their abilities is it!

The 3rd page which asks you to locate the password seems to have in the source code a dead result for any input, so no passwords will probably work.

This site says it is down

So nope, I do not think this is related to cicada3301, seems like a fake or a draw for hackers. I am leaving it alone now.

edit on 6-11-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join