It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the usefulness of a million galaxies ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
Utilitarianists often say things like "why do you do this ?", "what is it useful for ?", "why do you waste your time ?". And to them I would ask the question "what is the usefulness of a million galaxies ?". If they can't give a satisfactory answer to that question, it means I have no reason to answer their utilitarian questions. Utilitarianists often have mediocre preoccupations, usually revolving around money, social status etc, and have very short term vision. Digging deeper is not their cup of tea as it doesn't grant them immediate rewards. For them, philosophy is a waste of time.

Surely, if you can't find any usefulness/signification to a million galaxies, how can you even pretend that your own acts have any signification ? Unfortunately, the world is filled with utilitarianists which makes it a bland and boring place. The human world has become an utilitarian machine which not only treats humans as utilitarian cogs, but also other animal and plant lifeforms : utilitarian wars that slaughter millions of humans and utilitarian slaughterhouses that slaughter millions of other animals.

We already live in a dystopia, and as often the horror of reality surpasses fiction.

Aak what the use of millions of atoms could be. We are just atoms. Don't get upset about the ignorance..it is only going to get worse)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Actually in relation to the structure of the proton their exist a negative charge.

And in relation to electrons not only do they also carry a positive charge but with respect to the separation of sets in the electron cloud?

That separation is in effect a ground (neutral) that separates the sets in the Electron Cloud.

In potential representative of more that one aspect of a fractal.

Conclusion with respect to the electron cloud resulted from problems in Chemistry.

The separation of sets in the electron cloud do not only entail Parallel Universes solely in relation to that separation. But also in respect to objects akin to what we today call and in general the "Universe". Objects that to some extent are parallel, to the extent they are exactly the same and created at the same time.

Despite distance or time it is possible they are entangled as they present essentially the criteria due to the inclusion they were created at the same time and cause at the scales potentially beyond what we have numbers for.

There are actually and in potential,based upon modern science. 100 trillion galaxies in what we today understand as our Universe.

Any thoughts?

edit on 8-11-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: XCrissCrossX

Actually we are more than just an Atom.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
Actually in relation to the structure of the proton their exist a negative charge.

And in relation to electrons not only do they also carry a positive charge but with respect to the separation of sets in the electron cloud?

That separation is in effect a ground (neutral) that separates the sets in the Electron Cloud.

In potential representative of more that one aspect of a fractal.

Conclusion with respect to the electron cloud resulted from problems in Chemistry.

The separation of sets in the electron cloud do not only entail Parallel Universes solely in relation to that separation. But also in respect to objects akin to what we today call and in general the "Universe". Objects that to some extent are parallel, to the extent they are exactly the same and created at the same time.

Despite distance or time it is possible they are entangled as they present essentially the criteria due to the inclusion they were created at the same time and cause at the scales potentially beyond what we have numbers for.

There are actually and in potential,based upon modern science. 100 trillion galaxies in what we today understand as our Universe.

Any thoughts?

100 trillion? What if it is infinite? There are no bounds to the numbers

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: XCrissCrossX

I look at us and everything we understand and consider that structural differentiation is inherent to reality even at scales we do not have numbers for.

In context I would suggest the Fibonacci sequence.

Our understanding of infinity is limited to mathematical equations that may actually not do it justice.

In so much as modern science is concerned.

edit on 8-11-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

The Geometry of the Universe

Seed of Life.

Solar Analemma.

edit on 9-11-2015 by Paradeox because: Editing.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: gosseyn

The utility of billions of galaxies is to maximize the emergence of life.

That is only an opinion, and also not a satisfactory answer. It can be said that life in this universe doesn't matter and is just a by-product, just an accidental arrangement of matter. And it is suspicious to hear a lifeform say that the purpose of the universe is to breed lifeforms.

There is no objective answer to that question, therefore in the time being it is only logical to assume that there is no purpose to billions of galaxies.

I thought the shallow mind sees no purpose…

Each and every Galaxy, like each and every person is singularly unique in all the Universe. That means every Galaxy and all their inhabitants are one of a kind precious. My purpose is to be me.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Paradeox

I think you missed it. One can't place a boundary on space because there is no end to it, space goes on forever. Even if there is a boundary there is something out side that, and that…

It is impossible to draw a representation of the Universe because you can't draw infinite space. Any dimension you give it is stuck in the third dimension.

Carl's hypercube tries to imagine what it would be like to be everywhere at once, or omniscient. More like a hyper sphere, difficult enough to imagine, impossible to draw.

edit on 9-11-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

'The wise man is one who knows what he does not know.' — Lao Tzu

That's your opinion, which you are entitled to. There are many theories and nobody knows for sure when it comes to things of this matter. Whatever makes most sense to the individual. To me what makes most sense is that the universe has the illusion of infinity. The physical dimension is finite. Apparently the concept of "nothing" seems to be more difficult for some to conceive of than the infinite. Not simply the absence of matter, a vacuum, but actual nothingness. Physicists, philosophers and mathematicians will all have different theories and definitions. Nobody has seen the edge, or what, if anything, is outside of it. You could fly through the edge and end up at the other side of the universe. It's all speculation.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Surely, if you can't find any usefulness/signification to a million galaxies, how can you even pretend that your own acts have any signification ?

Why are there billions of cells in your body??

We are a disease to this Universe.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
There is no "usefulness". Galaxies don't serve a purpose. They're just 'there'.

The "usefulness" could be totally anthropic.
If they were not there, we would not be here to observe them.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Life may be very resilient, but the truth is that 99.99999...% of the universe is hostile to life as we know it.

It's the story of the pond of water saying to itself "this hole in the ground fits me so perfectly, it must have been designed to receive me!", unaware that it is the water that adapts to the hole and not the contrary. So it may seem that the environment has been designed to receive life, but in reality it is life that emerges where and when it can.[/quote

Interesting percentage (99.99999...) maybe ish of the known as yet Universe.

www.co-intelligence.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
hey OP, you are correct...

it appears the Creation, (the physical Universe of matter) has overwhelmed the ability of the Mad Scientist-in-the-Lab to control the structure or contain the process....the experiment has breached the Lab confinement area

we 'see' the results as blowback by the current energies of the Muslim Ummah to overtake the Christian brotherhood as one of the dominant theologies/ideologies on planet Earth (a rebalancing to achieve equilibrium) synchronicity at work
edit on th30144707730109552015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

hey OP, or anyone else interested.... here is a get-out-of-jail-free card
print it out & glue on your mailbox is one way to use it...

edit on th30144707768809012015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

To me what makes most sense is that the universe has the illusion of infinity. The physical dimension is finite.

You just placed a boundary in your mind, called illusion. You have to. 2D people can't understand "up". 3D people can't envision forever.

Apparently the concept of "nothing" seems to be more difficult for some to conceive of than the infinite. Not simply the absence of matter, a vacuum, but actual nothingness.

If it exists its a thing. "No - thing" is still a "thing". You are mind melding yourself to believe an illusion.

Nobody has seen the edge, or what, if anything, is outside of it. You could fly through the edge and end up at the other side of the universe. It's all speculation.

Another boundary, an "edge". You can't "fly through the edge" of infinite space. There is no edge of space, or nothingness as you envision it.
edit on 9-11-2015 by intrptr because: 3D people can't envision forever.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I'm not interested in having a pointless argument. You're making baseless assumptions about me, and apparently arguing against my opinion with your own opinion, which leads nowhere, on a subject that if you asked 10 physicists what they think, they would each have a different theory. Infinity is a mathematical concept, which cannot be physically observed or measured scientifically. What you believe about infinity and the universe doesn't concern me; but you do realise it is just a belief and an opinion, not a fact, like you try to pretend, as if you have some irrefutable evidence to support it. That is your opinion, like I said, and you are entitled to it, just as I am entitled to mine. If you want to present your opinions and theories go right ahead. I won't try to tell you you're wrong, even if that is what I think, because I understand there are many possibilities and all we can do is choose the best one, or as I said, whatever makes the most sense to the individual.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Galaxies don't have a purpose, or use.
They are a result, a reflection, a symptom of gravitational forces.
So are the stars they contain.

What is the purpose of hydrogen?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

What you believe about infinity and the universe doesn't concern me, but you do realize it is just a belief and an opinion, not a fact, like you try to pretend, as if you have some irrefutable evidence to support it.

Science of course being limited by its instruments. And theory, anything beyond that. Certain of what? That math is finite, whereas the Universe, known and unknown, is beyond our understanding?

We call it infinite, then draw circles. Or squares depending on what map of the known Universe you are looking at.

Here it is in a nutshell, you don't need math for this. Imagine stretching out your hand past the sun, past the galaxy, past the Hubble Deep Field, past everything we know. There is no barrier out there that your hand will run up against. If that is true then that means the Universe is endless. If thats true, it means the Universe has always been there. If thats true it means life has had infinite time to develop and infinite time to spread everywhere.

Its real simple. We are trained here to think in terms of boundaries, beginning and endings, we see the stars and imagine outlines of horses and turtles, we invent the telescope and we see stars and then bigger telescopes we see galaxies. Then we see galaxy clusters. The Hubble Deep field shows us that the goal posts are ever moving, ever further out…

Imagine putting a Hubble around a star in the furthest Hubble Deep Field galaxy visible and looking even further in the same direction… guess what we'll see?

More stars and Galaxies. You can say it ain't so and make up any fantasy you like, but the truth is every time we see further we see the same thing, further out…

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
First thought that comes to mind, a singularity that manifest/exploded from the center out thus creating all this debris... or 'millions of galaxies'. Seems they all are part and parcel of such an event.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Galaxies don't have a purpose, or use.
They are a result, a reflection, a symptom of gravitational forces.
So are the stars they contain.
What is the purpose of hydrogen?

GALAXIES ARE PEEPLE (look like a horse with fancy hair). Hydrogen as an element raises itself above oxygen, water, nitrogen, helium? May have a chip on its shoulder.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Where would you put it?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join