It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Unions nationwide boycott Quentin Tarantinos work

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I do not support police brutality and am all for people protesting it.

That said, this is why I am boycotting Tarantino and his films.

1. He said Officer Wilson harassed Michael Brown and murdered him. Starts at 3:37 in the video.

2. He cited several other cases in which the deceased attacked Officers with a weapon as victims of police brutality.

3. The group he protested with Rise Up October was co-founded by Carl Dix who is a representative and co-founder of the Revolutionist Communist Party, USA.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Fact is that Wilson murdered Brown.

I agree with the rest of your post.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

His movies are so good it seems like you are hurting yourself more that you are hurting him by not watching them.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Who cares what Tarantino or the police union says. The movie looks half way decent. I know I will be seeing it just because its a western. Not because of what the police union thinks or because of what Tarantino thinks about a particular topic.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I actually love his movies.

But I am holding fast with my decision.
edit on 5-11-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

You are entitled to your opinion.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

might as well have the trailer so people will know what to boycott.

edit on 5-11-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

You are entitled to your opinion.

If only we were entitled to the truth.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo I had a huge crush on Quentin Tarantino for Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction starring Uma Thurman in both movies.
Just thought I'd say how my feelings on the man used to be. The ongoing theme of all his movies is violence and or revenge, which makes me question or wonder about who he really is. Where's love? Where's romance, Jackie Brown?
If he is against violence why not portray that in his art?
Is this outcry against police brutality real or just a way to win people over and be seen as someone who cares for ''the people''?
I'll probably see The Hateful 8, but I wish he could expand into deeper meanings in his creative expression.
It's interesting to see the man care about something other than films for once, I'll give him that.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Sometimes, even when the truth is presented nobody wants to believe it.

edit on 5-11-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

To be fair, the LAPD invited Tarantino to join some officers on a few ride-alongs to perhaps have a greater appreciation of a day in the life of an officer.
I read about this which leaves me wondering why QT wouldn't go for the ride. Should we just follow along with him and start to believe that all police people are bad? There are good one's too. I'm not in agreement with police brutality but is Quentin Tarantino just lumping all police and people in law together?
We need to come to a peaceful resolution with the law regarding proper police procedures and I'm hoping that is QT's true intent. So why not go along with the police in a ride along for the day?
With so many fans and admirers, Quentin could really make changes for the better following the path of peace and resolution.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

The good cops should think about corralling the bad cops before the issue rips this nation and their line of employment completely apart.

Exactly. It isn't any more complicated than that

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Talk about irony. I haven't seen all of his movies but I used to be a big fan of some of them. "Desperado" is one of my all time favorite action movies (Salma Hayek's character, heh heh heh). And the first "Kill Bill" was epic.

But let me get this straight. Police unions have no problem with his movies showing dozens or hundreds of murders. And they have no problem with his movies depicting hundreds of different crimes, from car jackings & drug use to who knows what else. But they only draw the line in the sand when he speaks out against them?

I'd be interested to see how many law enforcement characters have been killed in his movies. If they really had a problem with him, shouldn't they start there?
edit on 5-11-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'd like to see them boycott the entire Government.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Yeah, i don't follow that.

If i want to see a movie about love and relationships, i don't watch Tarantino. When I watch Tarantino i expect (and recieve) some violence, some abstract/surreal storylines and images, and a fully pulp art experience.

Who cares if he's against violence? I don't look to Hollywood for thought invoking films or moral leadership. Its just bunch of people making movies, some good and some bad.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, i don't follow that.

If i want to see a movie about love and relationships, i don't watch Tarantino. When I watch Tarantino i expect (and recieve) some violence, some abstract/surreal storylines and images, and a fully pulp art experience.

Who cares if he's against violence? I don't look to Hollywood for thought invoking films or moral leadership. Its just bunch of people making movies, some good and some bad.
I'm just sayin' even he questions whether his films will go stale with the same theme and stylization. After his tenth film is done he wonders what he will be doing and as far as I'm concerned even though Kill Bill 1&2 were mainly about revenge containing violence, it also dwelled on deep passion and love. I could start a book sized thread on Kill Bill, so to prevent thread drift, I'll stop going on and on.
Movies are supposed to be solely for the imagination but IMHO do have somewhat of an effect on the hearts and minds of the masses and do somewhat represent the people putting out the films.
I just wonder why is he getting into this particular issue? The man is a mystery with influence on how people should think or feel and is this media display nothing more than attempt at gaining fans or is he truly concerned with humanity?

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

His movies are so good it seems like you are hurting yourself more that you are hurting him by not watching them.

I don't believe anyone has done Tarantinos brand of violence proper.
The violence comes at you with an aggresive twist in most cases.
While it seems to balance itself perfectly between the sadistic and
humorous. Never redundant never mundane.

Spellcheck
edit on Rpm110515v46201500000039 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

as a life long fan of sports, one thing I came to realize early on is that when a microphone is stuck in your face while questions start flying, you just say crap while trying to not sound stupid or have a bunch of "ummmm, ahhhh...." and dead air.

I suspect he was just trying to be agreeable, uninflammatory, and appear to think deeper than the first inch of dust covering our culture.

Sometimes they do well, and then sometimes they just babble about how kids in Africa don't have access to maps.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Fact is that Wilson murdered Brown.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Fact is the evidence shows otherwise on that.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: randyvs

The good cops should think about corralling the bad cops before the issue rips this nation and their line of employment completely apart.

Exactly. It isn't any more complicated than that

How about the good citizens start corralling the bad ones then? You want the cops to go back to being what they should be, maybe we ought to clean up our society so the cops stopped feeling like they were targets dealing with so many potentially deadly situations every time they had to make a cop/citizen interaction too.

It's like the girl in the school room with her cell phone. Should the cop have treated her like that? No.

However, how hard is it to just put your cell phone away when you are asked to? How many times did she have to just do that before the cop was ever in her face making it into that ugly situation?

People who cannot or will not govern themselves will invite being governed and as we can see, it invites brutality. That doesn't make the brutality right, but then again, how many opportunities do we have to avoid it happening in the first place if we would learn how to behave like civilized human beings again.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join