It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Back to School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have been enjoying looking into colleges and visiting campuses with my daughter the last couple of years and have decided to go back to school myself. I was recently sued in a civil suit by an annoying corporate entity and it has inspired me to go to law school.

Now, I already have a number of degrees, including an MBA, but I have always wanted to get a legal education. The fact is I love to argue and have the time, money and passion to take on the Government and a-hole corporations. I am not going back to school to make money I am going so I can help people sue and defend themselves against our oppressive Government and their corporate masters.

I have been looking for something to do since I am almost 50 and retired and being a lawyer to benefit people that can't fight for themselves and are intimidated by these big entities really appeals to me. I might choose to work for a non-profit or maybe simply volunteer my time to help people that have problems with Government.

Either way I am really excited and passionate about this opportunity and it gives me something to do as I move towards my 50th birthday that can really make a difference. I am already a jerk...why not make it official by becoming a lawyer!

I can't wait to dig into the books and learn all I can. Hopefully I will be able to provide some new perspective to ATS in the coming years.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Law is an act, a performance, whoever puts on the best performance wins the case, can you act?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Awesome! I want to be a lawyer, too! I wish you the best of luck! You're never too old to go and get what you want. Where were you planning on getting your degree in law? Remember, you also have to pass your LSAT in order to become certified--unless you live in Wisconsin, like me. If you go to Marquette, you can work in law as soon as you graduate. If you want, why don't you talk to a good lawyer in your area and find out what the best route of action for you, would be.

a reply to: VoidHawk

You're right. But rhetoric is much-more important than acting. So is an understanding of psychology, I'd wager. And of course, public speaking-skills and a knack for debate

Lawyers have to know a whole lot more than just knowing how to act. Acting isn't that difficult. And lawyers who can act aren't always those who win. It comes down to the body of evidence and to the jury. One must know the law in order to practice it. The best type of thing to know how to do is to know how to use the law in your favor.
edit on 27-10-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

Awesome! I want to be a lawyer, too! I wish you the best of luck! You're never too old to go and get what you want. Where were you planning on getting your degree in law? Remember, you also have to pass your LSAT in order to become certified--unless you live in Wisconsin, like me. If you go to Marquette, you can work in law as soon as you graduate. If you want, why don't you talk to a good lawyer in your area and find out what the best route of action for you, would be.

I am really excited. Thanks

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Good luck!

I sense there will be many opportunities for you in the upcoming years unless government shrinks. The bureaucracy is throwing its weight around more and more.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Now, I already have a number of degrees, including an MBA, but I have always wanted to get a legal education. The fact is I love to argue and have the time, money and passion to take on the Government and a-hole corporations.

Me, too! My husband works for a college and tuition is free -- I am seriously thinking of taking advantage of it to pursue a law degree. I'm 44 and currently have BFA in fine art, but it's not a satisfying career.

Coincidentally, I am currently involved in a civil case, as well, although I'm the Plaintiff.

Good luck to you!

edit on 27-10-2015 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Go for it, sounds like you might get bored with life if you don't do this. A challenge like you are considering will keep you and your brain alive for years and years.

Good wishes to you in your journey in life.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Thank you to all for your reply and well wishes. I haven't been this excited for awhile.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Sounds like fun.

My cousin, who's not 50, but is definitely way past standard college age, started law school last year. And she's having a blast.

I'm sure you will too.

School is so much more fun when it's something you choose to do, rather than something you have to do.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Best of luck to you. It is indeed an interesting field.
While you will enjoy the classes I'm sure, if you can find a retired attorney who reads law with students you will find that to be far more helpful and exciting than sitting in a class for the same amount of time.
I had the great honor and privilege of being able to do just that with an attorney for two years. He was semi-retired and had almost 50 years of experience in lots of different areas of the law. He was a man who truly loved the law and enjoyed sharing that love with anyone who was interested enough to take the time.
I was past 30 when I decided to switch careers and wasn't entirely sure what my new career would be when I went back to school. I had many people telling me that I should become a lawyer so as I was studying anthropology in the classroom, I was reading law at the university law library. My passion was found in archaeology so I never pursued the law any further but at least I have a grounded understanding of it and can make my way through the process.
Just a heads-up---your great age may make it difficult to find a law school that will accept you. They really don't like to deal with people who actually have some life experience I'm told.
Best of luck to you.

top topics

join