It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House approves bill gutting ObamaCare, cutting Planned Parenthood

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

It's not rude at all, a lot of people disagree with me on a lot of things, we all have different opinions, or atleast I hope we all have different opinions because when we don't it means we're letting others think for us.

Politicians don't exist as a ruling class in my mind, they certainly have power but the US doesn't have an aristocracy. The Bush and Clinton families have tried to establish that but they seem to be failing. Politicians serve only at the will of the people, if they can't keep society content they get voted out.

Lets use your manager example, you seek out the advice of those who understand a subject better than you, but when you have those under you perform tasks, are you trying to justify to each and every one of them why they should do it?

Now lets look at it from the perspective of the federal government. How well informed are you on the geopolitical strategy the US has towards Russia, and Kazakhstan? Russia's geopolitical strategy towards the US and Kazakhstan? And Kazakhstan's geopolitical strategy towards Russia and the US? Are you an expert in this subject? Is your neighbor? Am I? If you go into a shopping mall, how many people are you going to walk past that know this stuff? How many of them are even going to be able to point to where Astana is on a map? Most of us do not have access to those experts in order to ask questions, at the most we get one way communication in the form of experts giving recommendations to politicians, and those politicians selling their plan on TV shows.

This is the fundamental flaw in Democracy, even if we all had IQ's relative to what is 200 points today, there is so much to know that we still wouldn't be able to make informed opinions on every single subject. Fortunately for us, we're not a Democracy we're a Republic and a Republic addresses this problem by appointing people for experts to talk to, and then letting those people make decisions.

Then, your closing sentence, I wanted to address this separately.

No one can truly believe that our government does anything in the best interest of the people.

Actually, I do. But then again, I don't get caught up in the politics of the moment, I tend to take a bigger and longer term view at everything. At this point I am just old enough that I can remember how then current day politics were handled when I was a child like Desert Storm, Iraq's occasional flare up's, Bush Jr's campaign and election, 9/11, and the Bush/Kerry election. 10-25 years have passed between those events and it has taught me the difference between looking at something in the now, and how something is actually going to be interpreted in the future. I try very hard to not get caught up in the hysteria of the moment (despite the fact that I listen to many political shows). It definitely gives me a different outlook on government.

If you want to see good things that have happened lets look at our political process in the last 50 years we have eliminated many of the effects of racism, women have become independent, violence has seriously declined, marijuana is about to be legalized, people are living longer than ever, the standard of living has increased dramatically (due to new goods rather than a better wage system), government has become less corrupt, and our society has become far more tolerant.

A few days ago I met a WW2 vet in a restaurant so I bought him lunch. He was in town for a reunion with his war buddies that are still around and he had some time so I sat and talked to him. He saw the rise and fall of Communism, the invention of missiles and rockets, the space race and the moon race, segregation and single family incomes, vacuum tubes and then transistors, cordless phones and cell phones, outhouses turning into porcelain thrones, from iceman to air conditioning. And here he was showing me WW2 photos of him, on an Ipad over a wifi signal. Now, I'm not going to credit government with all of the advances that made such a thing possible, but they did their part. The public either succeeds or suffers based on the competency of their government. When government is good we go to the moon, we throw Presidents out of office for personal criminal activity, and we redevelop the printing press as the internet. When government is bad supply lines are interrupted, everyone is broke, and hatred for those in power is high.

Our political process works, and it works very well but politics are an ugly thing and if you look at what happens from day to day, bill to bill, issue to issue, and vote to vote the process looks like an enormous clusterf- of skulduggery but if you look longer term, a lot of very good things have happened.
edit on 25-10-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
a reply to: xuenchen

I know the next President would sign it.

Trump 2016.

Glad to see the American Dream still exists. Keep onnnn dreaming my friend. Either that or remove "desert" from your name. ; ) Only teasing you amigo.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
a reply to: xuenchen

I know the next President would sign it.

Trump 2016.

Maybe he will "evolve" like Obama and Hillary did on gay rights and a host of other issues that they flip flopped on...

Yeah, I hate when people change or evolve their thinking on a topic. It should be: Choose once, then plug your ears and cover your eyes, repeating your original stance forever, no matter what. Loop

<< 1  2  3   >>

join