It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House approves bill gutting ObamaCare, cutting Planned Parenthood

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Our government has been a symbolic government for decades. They haven't done anything beneficial for the people they represent, they only do for the benefit of themselves.

While this is an election gesture only, it is fun to watch.

Really? I can name exactly when it went off the rails. 12:00 pm January 3rd, 2005. From that moment forward Congress has ceased to be functional, that Congress was particularly bad holding a mere 2% approval rating at one point. Since that moment everything from both sides has been to act as obstructionists towards each other.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
the videos from the National Abortion Federation have somehow gotten out, spent part of the day watching them. I saw nothing incriminating in them, so I have to wonder. Multiple state investigations, three federal investigations, they admit that they haven't found any indication of wrongdoing......
and they want to defund planned parenthood for a year? Why??? if nothing has been found after all the investigations that have taken place, how is the evidence going to magically pop up a year from now? maybe, them being the gov't and all, they estimate that it will take them a year to dice and splice and alter those videos into something they can use? and why attach it to obamacare?? I don't really like obamacare, but if I am remember what this law says, it has a good chance of crashing the system, and oh ya, we're gonna take out obamacare, which well, will leave us with practically nothing, and to top it off we're going to take the funding away from one of the major providers of healthcare for low income people, based on false claims made by proven liers! And, people wonder why I will never, ever, vote republican again!! You've replaced your sanity with ideological crap and will stick by it as you watch the country go to hades in a handbasket!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar
But the question is, will you vote for the other side of the evil coin? You will never vote republican again, that is commendable, but will you also denounce the democrats equally?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL
Mickey Mouse for President!!! lol....no, I am almost as disenchanted with the other side of the coin. So far, it looks like it's another Mickey Mouse election!!

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: xuenchen

Wasn't this supposed to go through the house yesterday? Either way it's an example of what lawmakers shouldn't be doing. Passing bills that have no chance at getting through Congress much less the Presidents desk is a waste of everyones time. They should be trying to find something a majority can agree to.

Then again, I like having a functional rather than symbolic government.

I respectfully disagree. It is the duty of our elected representatives to represent the views of those who elected them. What they are doing is putting in writing and putting to a vote the views of the people who elected them. That is their job. Then they pass it along to force others to either join them or oppose them...verbally and in writing by a vote.

In the end, it doesn't change a thing. But it shows on the record who voted for what. Forcing individuals to stand and be counted. That has value.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Wasn't this supposed to go through the house yesterday? Either way it's an example of what lawmakers shouldn't be doing. Passing bills that have no chance at getting through Congress much less the Presidents desk is a waste of everyones time. They should be trying to find something a majority can agree to.

Then again, I like having a functional rather than symbolic government.

When the GOP fails to pass something Obama wants, they're "obstructionists."
When the GOP sends something to Obama which he refuses to sign. they're "wasting time."

I'm thinking the GOP may want to start alerting the American people to the Obstructionist in Chief by sending more of these types of popular bills towards Obama. Put the onus solely on him for a change.

What do you think of us right-wing nut jobs running this bill by the Dems and the Pres. "All offices of government will enforce, support and not attempt to illegally bypass the laws of these United States of America and if they do, will be immediately and automatically scheduled for impeachment". Do you think the Dems or the President would sign something on those lines?

And what would it say about them and TELL THE WORLD when they refuse to agree??? The word criminal comes to mind.
edit on 10/24/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/24/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Or my absolute favorite..."All elected officials will be considered "under oath" during their term representing the people of America. If they can be proven to have lied during this term, they are immediately subject to impeachment or removal from office for lying under oath".

That could clean house! And no one would sign that. Though...what we actually need from a government is one where EVERYONE would sign that.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Not bad ideas except we live in a negative world where lies and the likes have to be common place in order for our survival.

At this point I am starting to believe my dribble.

I think the ones who win are the ones who tell the best stories and that is the source of their power.

An honest person can never gain any ground in this system.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

What do you think of us right-wing nut jobs running this bill by the Dems and the Pres. "All offices of government will enforce, support and not attempt to illegally bypass the laws of these United States of America and if they do, will be immediately and automatically scheduled for impeachment". Do you think the Dems or the President would sign something on those lines?

you're nuts if you think the republicans would!! not unless they write in an exit plan for the next times they all hold the power! my god, both parties have been illegally bypassing the laws for so long I can't remember what it was like when they didn't!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Right now the Obamacare is nothing more than a scam to make insurance agencies rich, I hope the changes will not make it worse.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

And it will be shut down...for the 61st time.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Or my absolute favorite..."All elected officials will be considered "under oath" during their term representing the people of America. If they can be proven to have lied during this term, they are immediately subject to impeachment or removal from office for lying under oath".

That could clean house! And no one would sign that. Though...what we actually need from a government is one where EVERYONE would sign that.

If you create harsh terms for those in power, why would anyone want it? Ideally our best and brightest are running things. The more disincentives you create for people in government, the less competently it will be run.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

I think that was the idea so your house could be confiscated from the debt,they just haven't emplimented it yet.
edit on 24-10-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot

I know the next President would sign it.

Trump 2016.

I don't know man, he's "flip flopped" with Hillary on a few occasions. If Hillary doesn't want to sign it, I'm sure he would follow suit.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

If you create harsh terms for those in power, why would anyone want it? Ideally our best and brightest are running things. The more disincentives you create for people in government, the less competently it will be run.

Here are my two suggestions.

1. Leave the political positions much as they are in that the pay is high, the power (to a lesser extent) exists and the "after term" medical, protection, etc. exists...etc. But, provide simple provisions where if the person becomes corrupt or doesn't attempt to enforce the wishes of those who elected them, they can be easily replaced. Right now...replacing a politician who blatantly goes against the wishes of the people who elected them is still nearly impossible to replace which leads to the "lie during the campaign" and "do as you wish" during the term.

2. And my choice by the way. Each politician runs their campaign during which, their "Employment agreement" is constructed based upon their claims, promises, etc. If they are elected they sign this employment agreement. The agreement is simple...these are your duties and what you need to be working toward on behalf of your employers, the American public who elected you. If you don't perform your duties, you will be warned and then fired.

As a fallback...and probably the best way to work government is by a draft. Much like the military where individuals, having been vetted for general intelligence and mental health are drafted into government/political service. Their current jobs are kept for them until they leave office and they do their service. Obviously, there are a crap load of details that would need to be worked out...better checks and balances...but NO CAREER POLITICIANS and the "PEOPLE" run the country. Not an anointed government that believes they are the farmers of us livestock.

I'm wide open for suggestions and don't believe that these are the actual answers...but they include ideas that would limit any power over the will of the people. At least of the extent shown by our government of the last few decades.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Oh...and to more directly address your query. It isn't the "best and the brightest" it is the richest, most powerful, most popular and best liars. We all know that! What we actually need is people who honestly want to make America the best country in the world, and the citizens the happiest. What we get is so far from that, that I would be willing to try almost ANYTHING else short of anyone having more control.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Responding to both posts here but I don't have much time so I'll have to be brief.

Politics are unpredictable, I don't think you can reasonably hold politicians to a contract because the best way to remove opposition then becomes for the minority party to vote against someones contracted promises.

I actually do want career politicians to run the country. They can be advised by experts on any subject necessary. You, I, and everyone else cannot and therefore we are not qualified to dictate the choices that need to be made, we have our preferences of course but what we would prefer and what is best for the country can be very different things.

I'm not scared of big government, I don't mind it at all as long as each program is providing a measurable benefit to society. What I do mind is powerful government without oversight where the people running things are corrupt and incompetent. I believe it's possible to have a government full of capable people, we've had them in the past and large governments the world over have them now. That we have been unable to accomplish this reflects on us as a failure of society.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

There were anomalies in the numbers for O, but it would be much more complicated to do that with so many other different people running for the House.....

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I respectfully disagree. It is the duty of our elected representatives to represent the views of those who elected them. What they are doing is putting in writing and putting to a vote the views of the people who elected them. That is their job.

Yes absolutely! Silence is agreement. This creates necessary pushback, which of course the liberals despise unless it's them doing the pushing.
edit on 25-10-2015 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

This isn't meant to sound rude...just a differing opinion. I would rather have "average Joes" run the government and make mistakes than have geniuses run the government and rule over the people.

Going beyond that statement, I see no greater intelligence or knowledge in those elected than in many of the citizens. What I do see is corruption, abuse of power, etc. I have no problem asking for input from those smarter or more experienced than myself as a manager. That is the main job OF a manager...knowing where to get the information needed to make decisions.

But being ruled by politicians (here in the USA) that thumb their nose and laugh at the livestock people has gotten ridiculous. No one can truly believe that our government does anything in the best interest of the people.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join