It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plato and what he said long time ago....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I just could not imagine how come a person of that age, could already think about society and life like this, and have so clear the way to get out....

Any ideas?

Plato, Greek Philosopher, (427B.C. - 347 B.C.)

"Imagine men and women living as prisoners in an underground cave. These people have been here since birth, their bodies chained so that they cannot move. They can see only what is in front of them and can see no other prisoners.

"Behind the prisoners is a series of fires. Between the prisoners and the fires is a screen, like that at a puppet show. Behind this are people carrying various artificial objects, such as the figures of men and animals. The prisoners see nothing but the shadows of the objects cast by the firelight onto the cave wall in front of them. The cave has an echo so that the when the people in back of them speak the prisoners believe the sounds come from the shadow figures on the cave wall.

"Suppose one of the prisoners became free from his chains. The firelight would be painful to his eyes and the objects in back of him would so terrify him that he might desire to regain his former chained situation.

"If this free person actually crept out of the cave into the sunlight, he would be completely dazed, unable to comprehend ordinary objects. Slowly this former prisoner might begin to understand that it is the sun which is the source of light and life. He would feel sorrow for his former fellow prisoners. If he did return to his chains and speak to his fellow prisoners, they would think he was insane. And if they could lay hands on him they would kill him."

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ah, I remember this one from political philosphy. A story that makes an excellent point. Good post.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 11:01 AM
link   
well let's see!

ahead of the curve, one of the founding fathers of democracy, an enlightened man in an enlightened time, or a well placed inteligence planting seeds?

it is an apt metaphor for our big brother of a democracy. Plato also foresaw that or rather that is the way it was then also.

the masses see the world and accept what they see as reality. then one escapes [such as we who see the lights of burniing suns of ideas]and returns and is rediculed, ostricized, and shunned as a leper!

this would happen to all on this Forum who would return to what is called a high school reunion and take the initiative to express the ideas shared here

tut tut

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
thats is an excellent post cold

when you say plato to the average Semi-educated joe on the street he thinks atlantis, but your post shows that he realised the problems of seeing the TRUTH

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
*claps*

I imagine that politics in ancient Greece were similarly the providence of the few, and that the masses were simply ignorant of the intrigues going on, much like today. A situation that seems destined to always be the case...as it has been for thousands of years....

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I agree Gazroc. From so much of what we're told, I feel sometimes, we're just getting the shadows on the cave wall. I dunno, maybe its better to stay tethered and watch but its just not the human instinct..thus the need for the tether I guess.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
yes, however this new tool, the www. allows those that escape from the cave and see the light the means to not return to the cave. not return alone to redicule and abuse by those still watching and beliveing the play on the screen is reality unfolding.
this tool is a window that is open for the time being
live and learn

tut tut

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Even if one still in chains read this; I doubt that it would mean anything to them.

Plato did belong to a Khemetian(Egyptian) mystery school if I remember correctly...

Has anyone read Plato's "Republic"?

ONE

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It is a great book. In fact it is by far one of the best ever devised. I think that everyone should be required to read this book at least some time in their schooling years, and I think that the analysis of the book would breed even greater results as opposed to just reading it. I will say this, it is one of the hardest books I ever read. Nonetheless it is a classic and I recommend it to all. The Platonic cave will be found every where. The concept of that ideal is pure genius. Socrates is by far one of the greatest thinkers that ever lived. I have been wanting to read more on Plato and Socrates and the other philosophers of their time. I think that those philosophers provided us with many virtues that we live by today.

Has anyone else read this book or any other books of Plato's???

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Congratulations for your post CoLD aNGeR.

Plato was really smart.
Are we as him ?

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
Congratulations for your post CoLD aNGeR.

Plato was really smart.
Are we as him ?

The only problem is just the people that gets out of the cave and watchs the truth from out of it, then it is ridiculed and insulted by those who are inside thinking that they know all what they see...
That is exactly what happens every single day in society with people that knows a bit of the truth and tries to take more people out of the cave, but people that believes blindly in society won�t see it as bad or as a thread...
That is basiclly what i hate, and what surprises me is that Plato, 2500 years ago, knew that point already, shows more stuff to me, that these conspiracy goes further an further...

top topics

join