It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Computer Build

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Well, it wasn't any HD issue that killed my old system, so I think it's crap myself. But I've been trying to poke around, and SSD has certainly taken off. However, I'm not a impatient on loads, and if it doesn't do anything for in game, then I'm flexible on that.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You got me to messing around with builds again. I'm still running a first gen i7 920. I'm way past due for an upgrade. I'm an avid EVGA fan. This is similar to what I'll eventually do when I finally decide to upgrade:

i7 5820k Build

I could've probably gone a little cheaper on the MB... But I just love everything EVGA.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Asrock for the system board
AMD for the processor and video
Crucial for the memory
SSD or even a high rpm Seagate SATA or SAS

Cheap , but a lot of bang for the buck . Shop around

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Never gone with AMD. I hear it's kind of like the Mac/PC when it comes down to it. Are you an Intel or an AMD?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Never gone with AMD. I hear it's kind of like the Mac/PC when it comes down to it. Are you an Intel or an AMD?

Hahaha , been AMD processor only since the P2 came out. Intel locked the core to where it couldnt be OC'ed (well, without taking a razor blade and slicing pin B21). I went to AMD where they actually provide the way to OC and never looked back .

No , it is even more compatible with applications as it contains both Intel architecture and the proprietary AMD

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I used AMD most of my life until they stopped competing with Intel CPU's a few years ago. Now I have an Intel processor for the extra gaming horsepower. Still rocking AMD video cards though.

As far as Intel overclocking, their "K" processors (any processor that ends with the letter "K") are unlocked for overclocking. Mine is the i7-2700K. Many Intel processors have a locked and unlocked version.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

I used AMD most of my life until they stopped competing with Intel CPU's a few years ago. Now I have an Intel processor for the extra gaming horsepower. Still rocking AMD video cards though.

As far as Intel overclocking, their "K" processors (any processor that ends with the letter "K") are unlocked for overclocking. Mine is the i7-2700K. Many Intel processors have a locked and unlocked version.

Just recently they have unlocked the cores.They did this to try and compete with AMD, To me , an AMD processor delivers more bang for the buck as Intel is just an overpriced CPU. They count on the name is all. Period.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
You should really consider getting a GTX 970 or GTX 980 (or 980TI)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
A friendly piece of advice... you can save a lot of money, and still get awesome performance if you get a used "workstation" from a reputable dealer. I recently bought my wife a used (off lease) Dell workstation with a quad core Xeon at 3.3Ghz for under $500. Insanely stable platform, built for commercial applications... etc. A fantastic way to go for an awesome machine without draining the wallet...

(Edit to add: My personal machine is a Dell workstation as well. Both are Dell Precision Series machines... Xeon processors, dual graphic card support, ... the are no pretty lights, or fancy water coolers, and they don't take pretty princess neon selfies.

They run; they don't crash. )

How many idiots do you know with pretty neon lights on their cars that would get run over, and blown away by a used Shelby??

edit on 22-10-2015 by madmac5150 because: Outwardly directed self examination

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
this is my suggestion pcpartpicker.com... it is a little bit more but worth it I think.

imo much more future proof with the new Intel chipset improving on a lot of things + DDR4 is much better for the long run.

GTX 750 Ti is a really weak card and you will most likely regret buying it in a very short time since it has pretty poor performance, the GTX 970 is not top of the line but a beast nonetheless and will future proof any games that come out that you might fancy playing, if you think it is too much you can get a 960 or a 760 both are very good mid range cards I have the 760 and I love it.

I left out the mouse/keyboard/speakers because I think it is better to focus on the more important parts for now( "gaming" mice/keyboards are a gimmick but that is just my opinion), you should salvage the old mouse/keyboard/speakers or headphones and you can easily upgrade them down the line, much more simple than upgrading hardware.
edit on 22 10 2015 by Vamana because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Silence 650 is the best computer case I've come across - wonderfully quiet. Other cases/cooling systems sound like threshing machines in comparison. There's also a dual boot feature so you can swap OS drives without having to reinstall Linux GRUB boot loaders.

Backlit keyboards may seem a bit gimmicky, but ... you can work with the room light off and still see the screen and keyboard (my bedroom door has a small window above, and the light from the room and bright laptop screen was enough to light up the hallway and other bedrooms ...

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Interesting you'd mention that. A friend of mine is water cooled, and my air cooled system runs cooler than his. Not sure what he's done wrong, but that should not be.

I know, I'm late for the party, but thats normal for me

Just had to comment about why this might be.

Ambient/Room temperature has the biggest influence on chip temps. In the early days I used to mess around with overclocking, and the best cooling I ever managed was by hanging a six inch wide pipe out of my window with the other end pointed directly at the heatsink fan. Inserted in the pipe was a fan that sucked air from outside.
With air cooled systems, if you raise the room temp by say 5c the chip temp will rise by almost the same amount.
So, if your rig is in a cool room and your friends is in a very warm room, that might explain why yours is cooler.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join