It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Devil wears Prada?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I hope you'll forgive my tongue-in-cheek title--but what I want to discuss in this thread is so strange and obscure that I felt the humor appropriate.

Let's get down to it, then.

From the Basque word for Devil, "Galtzagorri", meaning literally, 'Red(1) Pants';

to other historical references to demonic apparitions, as seen below in this example of a Medieval illlumination depicting the Green Man;

to one of my own encounters with a demonic being who was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt, of all the things (which you can read about in full if you click here. Note: the description of the encounter that we had with the red-sweatshirted demon is located in PART III which is on the first page of the thread);

I think it is safe to say that there might be something interesting going on here. Or, at least, I think it's interesting.

So, here's what I'm asking you, ATS:
1. Why in the world do you think that this kind of thing would happen?
2. Is it simply because red is associated with blood and gore--or is there something else to it?
3. And if it is just the color association--then why would they be wearing only a single article of clothing (with that piece of clothing being this bright cadmium red)?

I am of the opinion that there MUST be some reason. But unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I can't find much of anything on the internet about this--besides what I've already posted for you here. So if any of you have access to old books or records of some sort, would you please help me in learning more about this? And for those who don't--any wisdom you can offer on the matter would be greatly-appreciated.

Ideally, I would like this to be a thread dedicated to brainstorming this quandary--this is not a thread about the existence of demons--and if you don't want to believe in them I'm totally jiggy with that. Therefore any comments regarding that debate will be ignored by me. I just wanted to make that known to you so that you don't think I'm being rude or ignoring those comments for no reason, since I'm sure I'm about to get some.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(1) gorri: `Red'. This is an indigenous Basque word; the Basque linguist Azkue suggested it might be derived from an ancient element *gor `flesh' (and hence `flesh-colored), but this is doubtful. This color name has a number of transferred meanings: `high fever', `vigorous, energetic', and `cruel, terrible'
edit on 21-10-2015 by rukia because: being a perfectionist

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
My source says devil in euskera is Deabru.

Source: Euskera speaking 5y/o son

Galtxagorri are Small goblins using red pants

It seems they are more like fairies
edit on 21-10-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

My 5 years old may have not been super reliable, it may be debru...

But the red panted imps tale it's funny, a lazy man need some things build and someone tell him to buy a box of them, they are tireless workers and do the deed and all else the man can think of, but after some time the man run out of ideas and the imps/fairies/goblins get bored as start to destroy all they build, so in the end the guy learn to do his work himself and not rely in magical beings, aka don't be lazy.

en.m.wikipedia.org...
mitologiadevasconia.amaroa.com...

I like the basajaun! We were in an exposition of this stuff and my wife took a photo beside him, I publish it as basajaun and basandere

edit on 21-10-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The whole 'good team-bad team' idea just seems so puerile ... nothing is so simple, especially with a concept like "good" and "evil" as it's really so relativistic and situationally dependent; and even more so if applied to esoteric, spirity stuff. I guess simple, conforming spirits are possible, too, but playing for one side or the other for eternity, while knowing one side has rigged it for a certain outcome is plain dumb... but I digress.

Now, there do seem to be some ground rules in place, somehow (algorithm for our matrix vr or the assumed head honcho just wants it that way... got me), and lore says beings on the demonic side have to appear with some defect to give a clue as to their intentions (hobbled by the rules, again)... the color red could be one of those markers... and if all is varying degrees of consciousness, then that might make some sense as the 'evil' manifestation would automatically show up reflecting it's mental make up.

Then again, some little fellows seen by people on occasion... like 'garden gnomes,' for instance, also wear red caps... and they don't seem that evil... so.. ?

I'm hoping my next tormentor shows up in Chartreuse.

edit on 10/21/2015 by Baddogma because: typo fixo

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

A red hoodie?

The Green Man is not a demon, but the masculine representative of all growing things. Nature based religions find male and female aspects in all flora, as balance is necessary. The Green Man is the masculine balance.

Red represents power. Direct, precise, unwavering power.

Why would a demon need to wear a red hoodie?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Thank you--it makes more sense that it's a name for an imp--debru/deabru sounds like diablo.

Your son speaks it? That's so cool! So do you live there or did you visit/have family there? Either way, that's awesome. My great-grandmother was a de Anda whose family had moved to Mexico at some point. I know they were nobility but I don't know what kind or the story behind why they left, but I assume it probably had something to do with court positions. I just learned about Basque a year ago and have been so interested ever since.

Sweet website by the way.

a reply to: Baddogma

I totally forgot about the gnomes!

originally posted by: Baddogma

Now, there do seem to be some ground rules in place, somehow (algorithm for our matrix vr or the assumed head honcho just wants it that way... got me), and lore says beings on the demonic side have to appear with some defect to give a clue as to their intentions (hobbled by the rules, again)... the color red could be one of those markers... and if all is varying degrees of consciousness, then that might make some sense as the 'evil' manifestation would automatically show up reflecting it's mental make up.

^ love this. very interesting. thank you!

a reply to: NewzNose

lol that's my question, exactly: Why in the world would it be wearing a red hoodie? Makes no sense to me. And that's why I'm asking

And regarding the green man, that's what the basajuan is. And as legend goes, when Christ was born, all of those things that lived in Basque country fled into the mountains in fear to hide and await Judgement Day. And that strikes me as being quite tell-tale of what it is. Not to mention, demons are usually depicted as hairy and grotesque. And in my experience, they have red eyes--and always run when you claim the protection of Jesus Christ. But I've only seen one that had clothes, and, as fate would have it, it was a red hoodie! Kinda ruined the scary factor just a bit--but it was still pretty unsettling, of course. Heh, I like hoodies. I actually have a couple of red ones, myself. But I usually like wearing them with pants lol
edit on 21-10-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join