It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1991 Golf MK2 ... and why we should all be driving old cars.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Words can't express how much I want this Hellcat...

Oh wait.. yes they can. I want it.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

What city do you live in?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I mean look at that suspicious grill... Just look at it!

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: nonjudgementalist

I'm not sure it matters what city I live in but.. Seattle.

The Challenger is an artwork started in 1970.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Not only would I not want to own a car like that, I wouldnt want to live in the same street as a car like that.... Just think, what message is it sending to kids?
edit on 21-10-2015 by nonjudgementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
my first car was a black 1984 gti. Too much car for a teenage boy and it didnt last. My next favorite car was my 81 Corolla. If ii had the chance id never drive anything else.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I'm currently waiting for my MK7 Golf but I'd love to own a MK1,or one of these.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Current V- Dubya's...bad, bad vehicles. Everyone i know whom I've earned off over the past 8 years but bought one anyway has come back eventually with the "you told me so." Older VW = win. The more modern ones play off their Germanness and their past history of quality

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Tell your cousin to avoid New Jersey.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bovah2
That is one hideous car.

It is a stunner compared to my first car: 1974 Renault 16. Get a barf bag ready before you google it.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I've never owned a car newer than 1989. There's just no reason to. For running around and work I have an early 80s civic wagon that is easy to work on and gets 35mpg (and will truly last forever). Historically I have owned a bunch of other cars from the 60s - 80s (right now I also have a 72 Datsun 510 which just can't be touched style wise and ease of working on). American cars of the mid 60s were really the bees knees in our automotive history. Better design. Better quality. No over-the-top posturing. Owners manuals were little fix-it guides, not just a UI manual telling you when to take your car to the dealer for a computer assessment. We will never see those days again. Just trying to do what I can to keep them alive.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I mean look at that suspicious grill... Just look at it!

I did...

What do you think looks suspicious about it?

Suspected of lookin... awesome?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Suspected of looking manacing...

I don't necessarily have anything against menacing looking cars, they can be awesome, but so long as they're kept in a BAT CAVE, and only driven around under the midnight sun.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

It's the drivers you should be worried about... not the cars

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

And that's why I love the Suzuki Swift GTi. It's that boxy shape. And 1.3L of raw engine power, 85kw in a 850kg car. Efficient, economic, and a damn little go-kart around urban areas.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The problem with car design is, if you're driving the same model everywhere everyday, which most people do, its like going out day after day, week after week month after month, in the same outfit...

Eventually you're just going to piss people off... Wearing that same new jacket all the time... That should only really be worn occasionally ... Don't get me wrong I'm not saying some of the sleek designs don't look awesome, they can and often do, especially the Jaguar which are as beautiful inside as they are outside, and I'm not saying its the fault of the consumers, its the manufacturers setting the trend... But unlike the fashion industry where you still have the choice to buy reasonably priced clothes that don't look ridiculously trendy, new cars nowadays all have the same airodynamic shells... And let's not even get started on the menacing looking grills, that is a thread in itself...

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin

And that's why I love the Suzuki Swift GTi. It's that boxy shape. And 1.3L of raw engine power, 85kw in a 850kg car. Efficient, economic, and a damn little go-kart around urban areas.

Aha, yes, indeed... A little go kart... But not for little kids... For big kids, on a dirt track? Oh, ok its for the tarmac. But as a racing car right? No? On you mean, the tarmac where I grew up? You mean my hometown, the streets where I grew up? .....GTFOOH! (What I would have said to the manufacturers design team if I was present during the board meeting when they approved this car for mass production!) ... That car deserves its own illuminati playing card I'm telling you... Remind me not to play top trumps against you people in this thread ... Geez

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
If I were to choose an old car, I'd have to go with American muscle. Particularly the 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS. Nassau blue with the white "bumblebee" stripe.

It was my first car. I helped my dad restore it growing up and he let me have it for my first car. Unfortunately, we had to sell it as I started college. The guy we sold it to wrapped it around a tree while drag racing.

Some day I will own one again. Someday...

Edit: Very similar to the one below except no pinstripes and the wheels were factory 67 corvette rally's.

edit on 21-10-2015 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Now that is a beautiful car. American muscle cars have what I would call old money aerodynamics. Some manufacturers like Jaguar still produce cars in that style (until recently anyway) but 99% don't.
Especially not affordable cars.

I would happily park a 1960s muscle car, outside of my 1940s/50s house. And be happy to park it outside my parents 1890s suburban London house... Streets where horses still sometimes come by... And the boxier designs of 20+ years ago, also perfectly welcome.... But its these modern sleek silhouette cool as fk shiny as a polished silverware, goes well with black wraparound sunglasses, cars that I find unwelcome.

I don't know... Its nice to dress casually I suppose... But its like... Stop pretending there isnt a filfthy engine under tha hood giving those school kids cancer.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Now that is a beautiful car. American muscle cars have what I would call old money aerodynamics

hmm.... you seem to like muscle cars and "old money aerodynamics"

What the heck is your problem with Mopars?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join