It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution and science SHOULD be taught in church. ( alongside ID/Creationism )

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
In my opinion, this would solve one of biggest issues we have here on ATS with people in 21st century not knowing how far science and evolutionary biology has come in past couple of decades.

People should have option to hear both sides and to decide who to trust, book that is known for fairy tales or science that changed our life in past few hundred years, got us to space, cosmos, travel around globe, even allow us to communicate through this devil little thingy called computers...

I can't think of a reason why they would not teach science and evolution....

What ATS folks think??

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

It pretty much is dude!

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

It pretty much is dude!

No, it's not.

If it was, you would know what is evolution, don't you think so?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Along with the proper translation of the Bible.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

There is no full on course with a professor at the helm but
subjects aren't ignored by any means Sup.

And you asked!
edit on Rpm102015v10201500000029 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

There is no full on course with a professor at the helm but
subjects aren't ignored by any means Sup.

And you asked!

So you know how evolution works??

Please don't tell me you missed that lesson in church...

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Its not even a majority who attend church, so its not really important to even discuss.

Main thing is to keep religions out of schools.

They shouldn't be anything on religion in a social text.

They can take comparative religion in senior years if they're interested.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

When I went to school in the seventies in my littler Island of PR at the time mostly catholic dominated, evolution was part of the curriculum in middle school.

I wonder what happen since then and why now is such a tabu subject, people had not problem with that subject in school back them.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I see what you are doing here, but I really don't like it. You are lowering yourself to the level of the assholes who refuse to educate themselves on evolution and how science works and insist that Creationism is a valid competing scientific theory against evolution. But here's the thing, your idea breaks religious freedom, AND it opens the door for Creationists to continue to pretend like the theory of evolution is a religion.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

LOL,

He beat me to it! I was going to say "maybe you are right, they are both theories which have "true believers of faith"

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I see what you are doing here, but I really don't like it. You are lowering yourself to the level of the assholes who refuse to educate themselves on evolution and how science works and insist that Creationism is a valid competing scientific theory against evolution. But here's the thing, your idea breaks religious freedom, AND it opens the door for Creationists to continue to pretend like the theory of evolution is a religion.

Not really...

Just wonder would we have even discussion about evolution if everyone would really learn about it and if people like those idiots would be pushed away from children, as they are really doing more harm then good...

Abuse of kids should stop...

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Like I said, I see what you are doing. I see the irony that you are trying to create here. I just think it should be beneath you to use a logical fallacy that Creationists use against science minded people against them to prove a point like this.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It is ok,

Extreme Liberalism is ta much greater Religious Mental Disorder... but much, much more dangerous.

LOL

edit on 20-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

See SuperFrog, this is the kind of nonsense that you are going to attract in this thread. Never mind that this thread has nothing to do with partisan politics, here this guy just HAD to take a snipe against liberals since he equates liberalism with evolution. But when you start your thread off with a fallacy, this is the caliber of arguments you should expect to receive.

originally posted by: infolurker

It is ok,

Liberalism is a Religious Mental Disorder...

LOL

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Completely agree! S+F!

Worldwide there is actually not a lot of dispute, it seems to be mostly in America that there is such a kind of biblical literalist push back.

According to a 2009 survey, the percentage of Americans who agree that evolution is the best explanation for the origin of human life on earth is only 48%, while;

Buddhist - 81%
Hindu - 80%
Jewish - 77%
Unaffiliated - 72%
Catholic -58%
Orthodox - 54%
Mainline Protestant - 51%
Muslim - 45%
Hist. Black Protest. - 38%
Evang. Protestant - 24%
Mormon -22%
Jehovah's Witness - 8%

Theistic evolution, theistic evolutionism or evolutionary creationism are views that regard religious teachings about God as compatible with modern scientific understanding about biological evolution. Theistic evolution is not a scientific theory, but a range of views about how the science of general evolution relates to religious beliefs in contrast to special creation views.

Supporters of theistic evolution generally harmonize evolutionary thought with belief in God, rejecting the conflict thesis regarding the relationship between religion and science – they hold that religious teachings about creation and scientific theories of evolution need not contradict each other.

Theistic evolutionists argue that it is inappropriate to use Genesis as a scientific text, since it was written in a pre-scientific age and originally intended for religious instruction; as such, seemingly chronological aspects of the creation accounts should be thought of in terms of a literary framework. Theistic evolutionists may believe that creation is not literally a week-long process but a process beginning in the time of Genesis and continuing through all of time, including today. This view affirms that God created the world and was the primary causation of our being, while scientific changes such as evolution are part of "creatio continua" or continuing creation which is still occurring in the never ending process of creation. This is one possible way of interpreting biblical scriptures, such as Genesis, that seem otherwise to be in opposition to scientific theories, such as evolution.
-wikiwah

i think an understanding of science, including evolution, should be taught at church when it might appear to be in conflict with religious teachings. Isn't that the churches responsibility? To inform their flock and remove obstacles to faith?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Just join the church of evolution.
edit on Rpm102015v38201500000052 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: spygeek

Yeah,

The Church will have to teach them Science, Math, English, and how to read and write as well since the Progressive Public School Systems are full of fail.

I think you may be on to something!

A "Parents Right To Choose"!

Free Public School or Free Church School. I like it.

Great Idea Superfrog.
edit on 20-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Like I said, I see what you are doing. I see the irony that you are trying to create here. I just think it should be beneath you to use a logical fallacy that Creationists use against science minded people against them to prove a point like this.

Sure, but let's face it, neither they will ever teach science or evolution, because it is NOT belief, nor we will have creationism / id in science class because it is not science.

Sure, it is bit satire and irony... and not real argument.

Just like judge asked - why we did not hear about this (evolution evidence) before... reason might be just they did not have a chance... it was not covered in some schools here in USA... depending on time students went through school...

So, should scientist need to try to teach everyone, including those brainwashed by religion??

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: spygeek

Yeah,

The Church will have to teach them Science, Math, English, and how to read and write as well since the Progressive Public School Systems are full of fail.

I think you may be on to something!

A "Parents Right To Choose"!

Free Public School or Free Church School. I like it.

Great Idea Superfrog.

Exactly... that is why if you like to stupefy your kids, you take them to church and keep them away from public education... why learn all great things about science?! Who needs that?? Public schools are free, don't really care about church schools... even I know some folks who work there.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Ah yes, you have just explained micro religion or adaptation, but how do you know that macro religion exists?

If macro religion is real, then why are there still other religions?

Explain that one, hot shot!

edit on 20-10-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join