It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What you do when you get cold feet about your art?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence
So true what you say.
I noticed that when I'm working the ideas flows like crazy, and I can't wait to finish one piece to start another. But if I stall and overthink it, all the inspiration disappear and I can't find something worthy of wasting the paper on it. Then I get distracted with internet and other nonsense and can't remember what I was so excited about.

And if one person appreciates it, if it reaches one person, that's all that matters.

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. I don't want to be famous or rich from my art, but if someone just stops to look at it and feels something is worth all the trouble.

10 years is a long time for a break, but I'm glad you made it back. Hope it will not take me that long

Thank you for your words and I wish you a lot of success and inspiration!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Do Art because it brings YOU joy. Screw what other people think. I think your Art is pretty damn fabulous by the way. Do Art to express yourself, make people think. Make commentary upon life, society, civilization. Do it! You are good at it!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF BEAUTY! Your stuff is beautiful!

PEACE.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

Artists like us hate marketing because marketing is about manipulation (using people, bullying them nicely into buying what you do,) whereas art is all about an expression of truth which, we hope, touches and moves someone in a deep and meaningful way.

God you're so right!
Exactly that.
People don't get it we are not into selling but into showing something they maybe don't see otherwise. The selling part is only necessary to allow us to keep doing that in a world where everything is about money.

Wonderful drawings, BTW! I said "real artists" because you are one! My favourite is the first pic of a sad girl. Grabbed my attention right away and pulls me back. That is the kind of intimate, real art that I'd like to see a lot more of in this world! The ostrich is more affective in a commercial sense (people love animals, but it also has a bold, excited character looking out at you.) All are well done.

You are too kind, thank you.
I am fascinated about people' facial expressions, their eyes, the subtle play of light and shadow on their faces. I think we are saying so much when we are quiet, but people not always see it.
The ostrich was more like a play, this why I named it also "Mister Phillip", and is hanging in my living room because every time I look at it it makes me smile. I don't think I will sell it, is family now

I cannot locate my pics file right now but I have a lot of drawings...Maybe I will do that website after all and post hem all there.
Thank you for encouragement, it means a lot to me

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE
Thank you.
And thank you again

Screw the money, that is all an artist needs to hear!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma
I know exactly that feeling.
Feeling exposed when you show your work, like suddenly you walk outside naked.

Trying to analyze my feelings, I guess it is somewhat like these are my children, and I feel protective. They are not born for others to judge, or to compete with others. They have a life of their own for me, and simultaneously remain parts of me, manifested.

Yes I know it is like that.
But then I feel like I have to let them go and let other people enjoy them also although is still hard.
The main motivation ( for me) behind doing art is to show others something they maybe don't see. About me but also about themselves. It's like putting a mirror in front of them: if they recognize themselves there I know I made something worthy; if they only see a nice drawing then maybe I should try again.

If you enjoy painting and drawing then keep doing it, even if is only for yourself. There is something enormously satisfying for the soul in creating something, an almost spiritual experience.

And if you will like to show us someday some of your work I will be happy to admire your "children".

Thank you and have a great day!

edit on 15-10-2015 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteHat

Oh, and here are some of my works:

Well, you obviously love the attention.

Your stuff needs a lot of work, but maybe you will get there one day.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

I produce a lot of sketches in a short period of time trying to get my ideas on paper and when I'm having a block I go back to them and work those out that usually helps. For example in my comic book ill lay out 3-5 pages at a time trying to follow my own "script" and over time I just work with each page as they inspire me and somehow it all comes out evenly attended to and I never feel like I'm rushing myself. Sometimes I do simple exercises like lay down my non drawing hand and draw that over and over again or I drink some beers and look at pics and articles that interest me, ill spend time reflecting on what I see/read and that helps as well. Good work and keep it up your pieces look awesome!
edit on 15-10-2015 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman
Thank you.
Is interesting to find out how other people work; I also like to listen to music when I draw, something relaxing.
No beer so far but I may try

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked

Thank you, I'll try my best

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I listen to music alot too, piano and violin instrumental I like. I have a horror comic posted here in the member art section that shows different pages and frames in different stages that may help you see what I meant about laying out lots of content then working back on it as each idea inspires me.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman
Thanks, I will look it up.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Awesome I hope it helps you out. Artists have always pushed other artists' that's the way it works 😊

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Wow! You are very talented! I hope you find your inspiration again and can share your wonderful work with the world.

How nice..See, OP, just keep showing your work, if you haven't already, you will find it's feedback of kind words like this that keep you going.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm always surprised at how critical artists/musicians etc, are of themselves, no matter how talented they are. Kind of sad really. I have a girlfriend who is a wonderful artist and has never shown her works. She lives in a touristy seaside town where there are galleries and little shops where she could easily make money. I have known amazing musicians who are so critical of themselves when there is no need to be.

Do what you love! Believe me, there are others who will love it as well!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think being an artist is a highly personal thing. Artists literally give a piece of themselves away in every piece and I believe being a hard critic on yourself is important as what is produced is in fact a small reflection of the self. It can be a bad thing but it can also be a good thing.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown
I am so very grateful to get feedback from people here, is really inspiring and I feel my courage coming back bit by bit.
Thank you all for taking the time to answer me, I really only expected 2-3 posts
after all ATS is not exactly an art forum.
I'm touched.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I'm always surprised at how critical artists/musicians etc, are of themselves, no matter how talented they are.

I'll agree with that. I've destroyed many sculptures, carvings, drawings and paintings that weren't acceptable. I've easily destroyed more than those that I've kept or sold. My family freaks when I destroy something they know about. Fortunately I think nothing of it when I do so. It's tough when you're your own worst critic, that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

From now on, before you destroy one of your creations, ask a family member or friend if they would like to have it.

Let me tell you a little story about one of my artist friends. Many years ago she painted a gorgeous winter night time landscape. It had ever greens and other trees, a brook and Mountains and snow. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. It was one of her first paintings and she thought it wasn't very good.

Years ago, I asked her whatever happened to that painting and she said she gave it to her Mother and she thinks it's in her Mother's attic.
My eyes were wide and my mouth hung open. How could anyone just shove a beautiful painting into an attic????? Next thing you know, she presented the painting to me and surprised the hell out of me. It is proudly hanging in my home and is one of my most treasured possessions.

So to all you creative people out there...Just because you may not think much of your work, someone else might think the world of it. Trust me!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Have you tried art school or starting a studio surrounded by other artists?
I made a play list for art techniques and artists and art processes if you want to check out for inspiration.
Non-commercial.
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join